Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No "Semper Fi" for dorfs  (Read 1455 times)

River Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No "Semper Fi" for dorfs
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »

So last invasion I caught 16 gobs in traps and managed to pit all 16 into my live target xbow training pit without a single one escaping.  Set my marksdwarves to their live train schedule and I go to tend to other things.  A little later I notice a recover wounded job cancel due to goblin axeman message.  I got to the pit and there is  the newest xbow squad member, nicknamed 'Effengee", laying on the ground, his right leg with a coating of dwarf blood and 2 coatings of dwarf tears.  I thought I had confiscated all the gobs weps but must have missed a bow.  Meanwhile one of his squadmates is still patrolling, stepping over his fallen comrade each lap.  I guess he figures its not his job, he's on patrol.  I didn't put in the raising bridges like the wiki showed to block sight, so every time a civie rounds the solid wall and comes to the 1st fortification, he sees a gob and runs away.  I don't really blame him, he's a civie after all, so I disable recover wounded jobs for all civies and enable it on all military.  Another bowman comes on patrol, now poor Effengee has 2 squad members stepping over and ignoring him each lap.  Finally, a 3rd squadmate comes in on a recover wounded mission, turns the corner, sees a gob... and runs away.  Mind you he is still wearing all his gear and carrying his xbow, and if he was patrolling he would walking around and shooting no problem.  Guess it's every dwarf for himself in this dwarf's army.  Ah well, guess I'll have to bring up the meat cleaver squad and open the door and finish them all off so I can get the poor guy to the hospital.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No "Semper Fi" for dorfs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:07 pm »

Off duty militia are considered civilians. Civilians run away. When using enemies in your fort, it is imperative that you make a way to block site to them, and/or recapture them. Otherwise, this sort of thing happens. You'll probably have to kill the goblin now in order to save the recruit.

River Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:50:05 pm »

Yeah I understand the mechanics, or at least I figured them out.  Figured trying to use military to recover was worth a shot.  I wasn't so much asking "Why is this happening", as I was just relating what I thought was a funny interpretation of what did happen.  And I will send in my goons and I will recover my fallen rookie, because that's how I roll!  :)  Even if it does mean losing 14 live targets for practice.  And I will take the time to put in the drawbridges this time.

But I do feel that recover wounded is a job military squad members should do while on duty.  If the dwarf himself is not being actively attacked, and is not seeing someone else being actively attacked, then I feel recovering wounded should be a priority, and not interrupted just by the sight of a non-attacking goblin.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:03:26 pm »

Oh, I agree. It would simplify things so much if military could recover wounded while on duty.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »

Off duty militia are considered civilians. Civilians run away.
Can discipline not do anything to overcome this?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:37:59 pm »

Off duty militia are considered civilians. Civilians run away.
Can discipline not do anything to overcome this?

As far as I can see, no.
Unless they are vengeful they will run.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:17 pm »

And if they are vengeful, I don't believe they will continue with the recover wounded job.  Rather, they will get distracted trying to do something about they goblin.

benevolentNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »

Blindness might solve the problem. As far as I know, blind dwarves don't run from goblins because they can't see them. Although I'm not sure how to actually blind you're dwarves without just getting lucky..

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:56:47 am »

Blindness might solve the problem. As far as I know, blind dwarves don't run from goblins because they can't see them. Although I'm not sure how to actually blind you're dwarves without just getting lucky..
Bring in an adventurer and gouge out their eyes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:20:12 am »

Slugfest with a necrosis deadly dust FB is what you're looking for. Just be wary of other important bits falling off.