Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moody kids  (Read 1392 times)

River Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moody kids
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:23:58 pm »

I've been working hard trying to rotate all my stone detailers, tanners, weavers and all useless mood skill dwarves through the magma forges so they can get basic weapon and armor skills for moods.  Doing pretty good, out of 120 adults, I have 27 with armor as highest mood skill and 34 with weapon.  Other than 2 tanners and one detailer, all the rest are in somewhat useful skills.  So what reward do I get for my efforts?  Just had my 4th mood in a row go to a kid.  I have 3 legendary woodcrafters ages 3, 4, and 4, and another 4 year old just got a mood, so getting ready to have 4.  I guess in another 8 years I'll be good to go as far as making worthless wooden trinkets.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: Moody kids
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:53:31 pm »

You have made the RNG God angry with your trickery.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »

The one thing woodcrafters are good for: wooden pots. The all round best food storage solution for any fort. Wooden pots are larger than barrels, watertight (can store liquid) and much lighter than their stone counterparts (=faster hauling). Otherwise you could just DAYCARE your kids away
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

ancient_vampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »

You have made the RNG God angry with your trickery.

Must be true...
I have a similar setup. First mood was a steel buckler, followed by a steel shortsword then another steel shortsword. After that a pig iron mailshirt and finally a candy War Hammer. GOD DA** SH**

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:28:01 pm »

You can forbid materials that you don't want in the artifact from  the stocks menu. It's not even gamey if you consider that an inspired dwarf should use the best materials available to them, not the randomly selected closest stuff.

ancient_vampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:49:03 pm »

You can forbid materials that you don't want in the artifact from  the stocks menu. It's not even gamey if you consider that an inspired dwarf should use the best materials available to them, not the randomly selected closest stuff.

I forbid everything except steel bars at the moment the war hammer dwarf got moody, but when he claimed the workshop he insisted on having candy... (sorry for thread stealing)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:02:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can only have a demand for adamantine if you already have some. In fact _all_ forge moods will take it as base material when it's available.

Kid moods - you generally get a random roll of woodcrafter, stonecrafter or bonecarver (standard procedure for dwarfs with no points in moodable skills). I consider woodcrafter worst of the three, although stonecrafter isn't notably better. Of course, if the kid's destined for permanent military service or for a life as farmer or potter (or goblin thrall), there's nothing lost, apart from the dud of an artefact.

River Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »

Well the 4th kid got stonecrafting, so at least I got a little variety.  Will be able to make useless stone trinkets in 8 years to go with all my wood trinkets.  My armorsmith has worked his way up to L20 the hard way while all this has been going on.  I got a weaponsmith early on and managed to get a full set of exceptional and masterwork addy weapons for my melee squad, and a bunch of master copper xbows for my bowmen out of him before he died of old age at only 90 years old.  With my luck my next mood will be with the one tanner I still have.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can only have a demand for adamantine if you already have some. In fact _all_ forge moods will take it as base material when it's available.

Nope. Once lost a weaponsmith when he *really* liked bronze but we had no cassitterite. Tried melting some random bronze but it was too slow.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:23:06 pm »

Nope. Once lost a weaponsmith when he *really* liked bronze but we had no cassitterite. Tried melting some random bronze but it was too slow.

What do you mean, "nope"? Did you have adamantine wafers? If not, that datum is 100% irrelevant. Dwarfs with a metal preference will pick that metal as base (when in a smithing mood) if you've ever made bars of the type in your fort. Last time i tried, adamantine still overrode personal preferences _when available_ (i.e. when unforbidden wafers existed on the site). But if you have no adamantine wafers on site or they're all forbidden, normal "nearest available" or personal preference will be used.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 09:32:42 pm »

Quote from: The Wiki
Metalworkers will demand their favorite type of metal if you have smelted any bars of it - fey moods will state this outright, while for secretive moods and possessions you will need to check the dwarf's preferences to see which metal they like. If you have any adamantine wafers available, then they will demand that instead.
Weavers and clothiers who have a preference for any type of silk, plant fiber cloth, or yarn will demand that generic type (e.g. a dwarf that likes cave spider silk will require any type of silk), and a dwarf who likes more than one type of cloth will demand whichever one appears first in their list. If you have any adamantine cloth available, then they will demand that instead.
Glassmakers will demand their preferred type of glass, whether you've produced it or not; if they don't prefer any type of glass, they will randomly select one type of glass you've produced (though they will always assume you have created green glass). Note that acquiring raw glass from a caravan does not count as producing it.
Dwarves in macabre moods will select either 1 vermin remains, 1 stack of bones, or 1-3 skulls.
Bone carvers will demand shells if they like a type of shell; if not, they will demand bones.

As you can see the general progression is Adamantine>Favourite Material>Any Available Material
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:08 pm »

You have to forbid things _AFTER_ the dwarf claims the first base material, I find. This is purely anecdotal but whenever I forbid after he's claimed the first material, everything is groovy... but if I forbid the moment he gets the mood, He'll just sit there till he goes insane.