Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which one are you, Vampire?  (Read 1246 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which one are you, Vampire?
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:09:42 am »

Okay, so I got a message stating that my trader/mayor/chief medical dwarf Has been found drained of blood.  Allright, fine, I'm looking for a vampire. I looked at my dwarves, and found that one of them, Geshud, my great armorsmith has the following skills:

Master observer
Great armorsmith
Great discipline
great shield user
great armor user
great bowman
great negotiatior
adept persuader
adept liar
adept consoler
adept weaver
adept fisherdwarf
novice fishcleaner
novice fish dissector
novice milker
novice presser
novice climbing
novice herbalist

"Geshud is 104 years old, born in the year 149"

At THAT point, I got word of a were elk.  He bites two of my dwarves and infects them. One of their descriptions says the following:
"He has the appearance of someone 269 years old. He was one of the first of his kind. 

My fisherdwarf that also got infected is listed as 188 years old. Borth on the 24th of opal, in the year 65. It is the year 253

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Which one are you, Vampire?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:33:40 am »

Dwarves have [MAXAGE:150:170], so you may have two vampires on hand. I'm not entirely certain, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:36:05 am »

Isn't it a known bug that werebeasts have wrong age?

I'd suggest you recruit all the 3, station them in a locked room and wait for a while. Those who want a drink are clean.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:37:43 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:36:23 am »

according to curse check, I only have 1 cursed creature.  Though, I wound up accidentally killing both werebeasts by dropping a coffin on them. One of their number died, so i ordered a single coffin dropped in through an observation hole.  It wound up falling on both of them, exploding one body, and decapitating the other.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:47:08 pm »

You could have just delivered stuff the normal way out of a full moon and brick up the passage afterwards. Also, it's better to isolate the victims as one of them might be uninfected, but likely to be killed by the infected one when it turns if they are locked up together.

I'd also look at all dorfs, not only your prime suspect. My understanding is that vampires don't claim rooms, for instance, so those who have done so ought to be clear, while those who have not are on the list (beware of your mayor, since YOU probably appointed the room for it). Then check thought for food, drink, and sleeping. Vampires also are said not to have any relatives in the fortress. I think there are a few other indications as well. Lock all the suspects up individually and monitor them for hunger, thirst, and sleep. "Can not remember the last time he had a drink" thought are a clear warning sign if booze is available. I've read vampires can get ecstatic from drinking blood, so that might serve as an indication. There is also a risk that the blood drinking is considered a great meal. Happy thought from a kill is another indication. Those who sleep or get hungry/thirsty can be released with an apology.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 01:37:31 pm »

I recently had a vampire who I initially excluded from suspicion because of a recurring happy thought about speaking with a sibling, so apparently vampires can have family members in the fort, though this is the first time I've ever seen it. I found him on a 2nd pass looking at odd skills or religious affiliations after having a vampire related death while everyone I suspected from my first pass (where I excluded from suspicion everyone with family in the fort, thoughts based on eating in the legendary dining room or at a crowded table, or negative thoughts from bad water or sleeping rough). So I'm going to have to stop using family in the fort as an exclusion criteria, it seems.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 05:41:51 pm »

I recently had a vampire who I initially excluded from suspicion because of a recurring happy thought about speaking with a sibling, so apparently vampires can have family members in the fort, though this is the first time I've ever seen it. I found him on a 2nd pass looking at odd skills or religious affiliations after having a vampire related death while everyone I suspected from my first pass (where I excluded from suspicion everyone with family in the fort, thoughts based on eating in the legendary dining room or at a crowded table, or negative thoughts from bad water or sleeping rough). So I'm going to have to stop using family in the fort as an exclusion criteria, it seems.

Sounds like it CAN happen, its just really rare. ~or~ he married while in the fort, and now has a brother in law.  But, an update. Now i have 3 of the buggers, two of which are in the military, and one is the mayor. One is a great hammerdwarf, and the other a adequate crossbowdwarf.  and the mayor is a great bowdwarf.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:43:10 pm »

Interesting! Did you also check that the sibling actually exists and is in the fortress?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:21 pm »

I want to say that the sibling was in fact present, but it was a few weeks ago and I don't remember for sure that I checked. I still have the world that fort was in, so I could probably verify it in legends mode.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:30 pm »

I haven't seen any vampire dwarf since 40.xx, sadly.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 07:57:59 pm »

do you set a lower than default population cap? I've hardly had any forts in .40.xx get to 150 dwarves without at least one vampire, but I've also hardly seen any vampires until I was close to 100 dwarves.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »

LUcky you.  I have 3.  the mayor, a hammerLORD, and a militia captain. 

SPeaking of which, which is the best way to deal with a vampire mayor?

I've considered walling her in, and have the room to do so, (Just dumping excess stone) But, that means that no one can get inside and yell. 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 01:36:57 pm »

Lock him away or bridge smashing or magma dumping.  Or a siege.  Kit him up and train him up and send him to die gloriously.
  Just . . . be wary of the day when the goblins will learn to drink his blood.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:58:50 pm »

Lock him away or bridge smashing or magma dumping.  Or a siege.  Kit him up and train him up and send him to die gloriously.
  Just . . . be wary of the day when the goblins will learn to drink his blood.
I already had an entire siege of goblins turn into wereelk. 

The funny part is that they mauled the other 15 goblins.