Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is FPS bad in the latest version?  (Read 2155 times)

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is FPS bad in the latest version?
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:26:54 am »

In past versions of FPS, I would have to have a relatively big fort (by my standards) and doing a lot of things for FPS to drop significantly below 100.

My first game in the new version (40.x) that I've played for two years and my FPS has already dropped to 30-50, and I've even sort of made a point to not really do much with the fort, leaving most of the dwarves to idle.

Is 40.x really that much more CPU intensive? Or should I go looking for other factors that might be causing problems?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is FPS bad in the latest version?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:43 am »

That's really not a lot worse than my fort, but I'm playing on a 6-year-old dinosaur of a laptop.  I might try generating younger worlds, smaller embarks, and turning off temperature and weather.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:05 am »

It's OK. I feel that there were better FPS in the last version though.

Just remove temperature. And don't embark on large maps. And work with the usual FPS-saving mechanics.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:48 am »

Can I remove temperature after the world is created?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:37 am »

It's not in the raws, it's in the init files. d_init.txt, to be exact.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:15:51 am »

Avoid embarking in an area with a bunch of trees. Every Spring the sick bastards start fornicating and pollen drops fps 10-15 pts for me.

Either than or just chop them all down...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:23:27 am »

It's not in the raws, it's in the init files. d_init.txt, to be exact.
I see.

I had a level full of trees and other mushrooms. The fps drops from 50 to 17 when I look at that level.
Consider I'm use a 1x1 map, you may suffer more fps penalty if you are playing a big map with lots of plants.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:59:25 pm »

I can attest to this,  my FPS went from 100 ish to 40 after I hollowed out a huge artificial cavern 10 z levels deep that spanned my 3x3 embark.

I flooded this cavern to cover it in mud, and even after it was drained, my FPS went down to 20 once it was filled with growing saplings.  Still waiting for tree's to sprout underground.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 02:44:24 pm »

Just constant clearcutting. It seems to be the only way without going full treeless. Every month or so I designate the whole map to be cut down. I even have a macro for it.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

DFHack's "clean" command is a lifesaver. It can pick up all the crap trees dropped off as well as remove blood and snow etc.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »

I had a peregrine falcon fly down into my magma forge area and brought the framerate down to 1FPS :D. I was really confused why it happened as it was very sudden but then I was reading about flying creature pathing causing FPS drops (maybe it's related to the creature's speed? dunno).

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 04:41:24 pm »

I can attest to this,  my FPS went from 100 ish to 40 after I hollowed out a huge artificial cavern 10 z levels deep that spanned my 3x3 embark.

I flooded this cavern to cover it in mud, and even after it was drained, my FPS went down to 20 once it was filled with growing saplings.  Still waiting for tree's to sprout underground.
This might not be the trees.  Massive excavations with large open spaces have been known to be very hard on fps, even before multi tile trees.  This is especially the case if they are accessible for dwarves to try to path through.  Locking them, or putting a ring of restricted pathing around the access point may help.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 01:48:56 am »

FPS is much worse this version. I have never experienced the game slow down in DF2012, but in DF2014 breaching the caverns and/or having more than 150 or so dwarves makes it start dipping really fast even with using short histories, small worlds, quantum stockpiles, etc. Embarking on a glacier does not have this problem, so it is definitely to do with all the plants and trees. There is no time like to present to turn your primary industry into a wood industry.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 05:30:22 pm »

Yeah I've noticed it SEEMS harder on my laptop this time around, too.

It may just be my style changed, but I'm not sure. It's not that big of a deal with my stuff, but it's just something I've noticed. You know?
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:11:44 pm »

Can confirm trees are a huge component. That's both because of constant growth and because of rendering. The game has to go through memory, sort through all like 8 plant coverings on the tile, and figure out which one to draw. That takes a lot of memory, which can surprisingly be a bottleneck. If that's the bottleneck for you, lowering the G_FPS_CAP to like 10 (from 50) can help a LOT.
Pages: [1] 2