Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is FPS bad in the latest version?  (Read 2156 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Is FPS bad in the latest version?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »

I had a level full of trees and other mushrooms. The fps drops from 50 to 17 when I look at that level.
Consider I'm use a 1x1 map, you may suffer more fps penalty if you are playing a big map with lots of plants.

Now when I view this level, fps drops to 10 or below. No wonder why the elves hate the dorfs, because the latter have to get rid of the trees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can confirm trees are a huge component. That's both because of constant growth and because of rendering. The game has to go through memory, sort through all like 8 plant coverings on the tile, and figure out which one to draw. That takes a lot of memory, which can surprisingly be a bottleneck. If that's the bottleneck for you, lowering the G_FPS_CAP to like 10 (from 50) can help a LOT.
I limited gfps to 15.
It seems windows size also matters. With standard window size, I get 25(15), but when maximized, it drops to 12(12).
Switching to ascii standard or turning off graphics does NOT help here, for some reason. I guess the game has to go through the list of all those trees and bushes.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:33:54 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 [2]