Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of genre should the setting be?

Magitech
- 8 (27.6%)
Mythic Fantasy
- 7 (24.1%)
Post-Post-Apocalyptic
- 4 (13.8%)
Prehistoric Fantasy
- 3 (10.3%)
Steampunk
- 4 (13.8%)
Wuxia
- 3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - VOTING FINISHED!  (Read 9795 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - SECOND ROUND OF VOTING!
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »

Does anyone want me to set up a 'Entertainment while we're waiting for Rex Invictus's setup to finish' thread?

Just post in this thread. Keep it bumped!

Another question: What should the tone of the setting be? Comedic, dramatic, horror etc.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:34 pm »

Another question: What should the tone of the setting be? Comedic, dramatic, horror etc.
Gritty and depressing
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »

Comedic, what else!
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:28 pm »

Emoticon Adventure Anyone?

>:( : This is a horrible idea!
 ::) : Here we go again.

Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2015, 12:58:33 pm »

A tone matters more on the GM at hand, doesn't it?
Take warhammer.
It can be grimdark (man is doomed, veryone dies, etc)
Hopeeful (the Imperial Guard, after much struggle, win and save the world, etc)
Comedic (orks orks orks orks)

All these themes and tones exist within one setting.

Making a more neutral setting gives the most freedom, as it's very easy to tip things towards the grim or make things less serious when the GM adds his/her personal touch.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2015, 01:05:55 pm »

Part Two of Emoticon Adventure!

8) : Guys. You. Adventure. Me. Now.
 ::) : English anyone?
 :-\ : I Think he said he wants us to go on an adventure with him.
 >:( : No way bud!
 :o : Adventure? Cool!
 8) : That's My name.
 >:( : *Hmmph*

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »

I agree with you Giglamesh.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2015, 01:12:48 pm »

I think mythical fantasy and magitech will be a really strong concept. Maybe go for something ancient history focused?
An idea I had was it could be proper polytheism, where there is a god for absolutely everything. There would be gods of overarching concepts, like war and love and all that, but there would also be multitudes of gods of various things, like individual rocks and trees and rivers. (I'm basically ripping off from Shinto here, though ancient Western religions did a lot of this sort of thing, too.)

And so, if humans ever wanted anything, they would pray and make offerings to the specific god involved, and if the offering was acceptable and/or shaman making the request was personable enough, the god might deem to grant their request. A good shaman could generally get a god to take any reasonable request and could sometimes obtain more potent effects, but proper shamans were only those rare people who possessed the gift for such and had spent years honing their skill. If you were not such a person, you needed to know one to get magic done.

That is, until humans figured out how to trap gods in machines. Suddenly, you could have the power of a minor deity on tap. The nature of the god machines is such that they could only produce a certain kind of effect without moving the god to a new machine, so they're less flexible than the effects produced by a shaman, but, still, this meant you could have magic without needing to be or know a shaman.

Of course, the other gods and the shamans don't take too kindly to this sort of thing. Generally, the makers and users of god machines will either convince people to drive out shamans from a place or operate in secret, since the shamans strongly oppose them on moral grounds and out of fear that fraternizing with such people will harm their reputation with the gods. This isn't the case with all shamans, since there is no overarching body which governs them all (though there are certainly many national and international shaman organizations), and they are free to make up their own minds about matters, though most shamans tolerant of god machines will at least advocate for godly welfare.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »

Emoticon Adventure Part 3

::) : What even is our goal.
 8) : Become all-powerful.
 >:( : How are we Even supposed to do that!
 :-\ : I read in a book that adventurers are supposed to kill enemies and complete quests to gain EXP to 'level up'. I think.
 :o : So... awesome...
 :-\ : There's one of those 'Enemy' things you were talking about.
 :) : That's a level one rat!
 >:( : Who're you supposed to be!
 :) : I help you! My name's Smiley!
 8) : Charge!! *Punches the Rat*
 Rat: *Squeak*

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2015, 01:29:55 pm »

What do you think of Emoticon Adventures?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2015, 01:52:16 pm »

I think that double-posting is kinda taboo on this forum and you should quit it.
Plus, this thing is getting plenty of bumps without your continuous attempts to hijack it.
So also quit it. Go for a run if you need to burn that much energy.
Just being blunt.

Anyway, realistic and depressing please.
I like the "minor household god in a bottle".
Or for a twist on that concept, most elements in the world contain "vitae" which can be extracted by those with the know-how or the machines and used to fuel spells, with the more powerful and dangerous ones being lightning, fire or blood, and the weaker ones being dirt, air or melancholy, to name the barest few.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 01:55:30 pm »

Sorry then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »

O.K. I think it should be based on RPG Tabletop rules but should be like dwarf fortress adventure mode. You can get ranks in government but you can't get ruler right off the bat, I mean people are going to grateful that you killed that  horrible beast but they're not gonna make you king.
The funny part is that that sort of random, arbitrary crap is actually how a lot of mythical heroes became political leaders.

I think mythical fantasy and magitech will be a really strong concept. Maybe go for something ancient history focused?
An idea I had was it could be proper polytheism, where there is a god for absolutely everything. There would be gods of overarching concepts, like war and love and all that, but there would also be multitudes of gods of various things, like individual rocks and trees and rivers. (I'm basically ripping off from Shinto here, though ancient Western religions did a lot of this sort of thing, too.)

And so, if humans ever wanted anything, they would pray and make offerings to the specific god involved, and if the offering was acceptable and/or shaman making the request was personable enough, the god might deem to grant their request. A good shaman could generally get a god to take any reasonable request and could sometimes obtain more potent effects, but proper shamans were only those rare people who possessed the gift for such and had spent years honing their skill. If you were not such a person, you needed to know one to get magic done.

That is, until humans figured out how to trap gods in machines. Suddenly, you could have the power of a minor deity on tap. The nature of the god machines is such that they could only produce a certain kind of effect without moving the god to a new machine, so they're less flexible than the effects produced by a shaman, but, still, this meant you could have magic without needing to be or know a shaman.

Of course, the other gods and the shamans don't take too kindly to this sort of thing. Generally, the makers and users of god machines will either convince people to drive out shamans from a place or operate in secret, since the shamans strongly oppose them on moral grounds and out of fear that fraternizing with such people will harm their reputation with the gods. This isn't the case with all shamans, since there is no overarching body which governs them all (though there are certainly many national and international shaman organizations), and they are free to make up their own minds about matters, though most shamans tolerant of god machines will at least advocate for godly welfare.
At first I was going to say, "Well yeah, but then you're basically just doing Exalted in a system that isn't Exalted, since we're already damned close to it," but then you saved it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 02:13:14 pm »

I do think Polytheism is a good idea.

And yes Flying Dice, that is true. (How Arbitrary stuff makes political leaders)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 02:37:11 pm »

"Gods are friends, not fuel!" Chant the hippies Shamans.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8