Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: x*magma crab cage*x  (Read 1559 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
x*magma crab cage*x
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:08:59 pm »

My cage traps caught some magma crabs. Then I noticed one of the cages was slightly damaged.
I recall I saw a topic about fire beast burning down cage traps or such. So what happened? The room was locked so the crab had no reason to attack. Does that mean the crabs can torch things near them? If so they are more dangerous than I thought.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: x*magma crab cage*x
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »

Magma crabs have a body temperature of 12000°U, which is hot enough to damage wooden items. Don't know if they can damage wooden cages that they are inside of, since caged creatures usually lose all ability to interact with the rest of the world.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »

Yeah, I think they only damaged the cage they were caught, otherwise I shouldn't have those cages at all.
Does it mean the dorfs will also burn if they start a fist fight with the crabs?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:41 pm »

Yes, dwarves can be fried if in contact with magma-crabs for too long.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:04 pm »

Magma Crabs will also spit magma loogies at your dwarves, potentially melting body parts or simply igniting them.  In previous versions, they spit globs of basalt, which were rather deadly.  They've been toned down a bit, but are still hazardous. 

Make cages near magma out of magmasafe materials if you want to avoid this.  Nickel, glass, or iron would all be reasonable options.  Since managing what cages are used where would require use of burrows, it's probably not worth it, and if you insist on using cage traps near magma and not having them destroyed, just make all your cages magma safe.  Using weapon traps instead would be easier, unless you really want some captive magma crabs or something.

However, I suspect that caged creatures can not interact with their cage material.  I believe the cage was damaged by contact with the magma crab before it was trapped, or possibly during the trapping process.  The cage should not suffer further damage unless you put it in a refuse pile or have another magma crab walk over it, or otherwise set it on fire.  So wooden cages should be safe for use near magma crabs.  However, if you remove the crab and reuse the cage to catch another crab, it may suffer more damage, and would eventually be destroyed, possibly failing to catch a crab.  Probably not too big a deal, unless all the cages in all the traps get destroyed by the same wave of crabs, which is unlikely.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:14:54 pm »

I may, perhaps, have been in the plump helmet wine a little this evening. That being said, what I got here is that you are concerned about waves of crabs overwhelming your defenses and causing severe burning? If so I think they make a golden salve for that, but choosing where you tunnel more carefully might be a better option.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:04:10 am »

Well I built those cages on my roof so I can release them when the goblins come.
Just recently I got lots of "cancel give food" spam.

Bomrek Morulfarash, Bone Carver cancels Give Food: No food available.

Does magma crabs need food at all? Or it was something else?

Forget it.
I destroyed the stair shaft by mistake so half of my dorfs were trapped.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:21:29 am by utunnels »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 03:01:38 am »

Well, I did a small !!science!! project.
I locked 9 magma crabs in room, then dropped 4 cats in.

And they were quite peaceful, all of them. The cats were unaffected by their presence, which is unusual, because even a peaceful gorlak can scare cats (blue flashing ! ).

Same thing happened when I uncaged a troll. Dorfs who picked up the cage and the mechanism didn't even notice the troll and the troll didn't make any harmful move at all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:03:39 am by utunnels »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:08:25 pm »

I had something like that very early on in a fortress. Troll came up, reached the temporary surface camp, and simply stopped. It remained there until a caravan arrived and snapped it back to reality.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 07:47:01 pm »

They've been toned down a bit, but are still hazardous. 

You are right. I lost a legendary expedition leader to a magma crab. He just bled to death. Melted wounds are really bad, the dorfs can easily die before he even reach the hospital.

I thought legendary +5 warriors with full steel armors = invincible, but I was wrong.

unknown zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »

I recently had a regular civilian dwarf get into a tangle with a magma crab. She took a shot of magma to the neck, and then the crab ran away.

The dwarf walked casually away, leaving a trail of blood. I was certain she was done for. However, upon viewing her status she had no health problems. She only received a bad thought for "choking on smoke recently," and her status screen now says that all of her upper body fat is "missing."

She did not go to the hospital, she just went about her business.
Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.