Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb Hlep  (Read 1043 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Newb Hlep
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:42:33 am »

Hello, dwarfiermastercheeskemakers. I am just starting my adventure with fortress mode, and I have many quetions to ask.

First off, how do I destroy wagon?
Wagon is destroy soon.
Wagong will dead.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Hlep
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:17 am »

The fortress of Dikeshot has appeared.

Love the RNG.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 08:04:42 am »

Hello, dwarfiermastercheeskemakers. I am just starting my adventure with fortress mode, and I have many quetions to ask.

First off, how do I destroy wagon?
Wagon is destroy soon.
Wagong will dead.

If I remember correctly, the wagon counts as a building, and can be deconstructed the same way: Enter the building properties mode by pressing (q), then bring the cursor over the wagon using the arrow keys. Once the cursor is close enough to the wagon for the game to select it, you should be able to order its removal by pressing (x).
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:19:20 am »

Okay, thanks. Now, how do I designate rooms?

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:33:14 am »

Okay, thanks. Now, how do I designate rooms?

To designate rooms, you need a bed built inside. Then [q] over the bed and resize the room.
To get the bed, yoou need a Carpenter Workshop and, obviously, logs. But since you decounstructed the wagon...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:43:31 am »

Ninjad...
Yup, most rooms need a piece of furniture to begin with. Bedrooms need beds, dinning halls need tables offices need chairs and so on.
But there is a lot of stuff you can designate that dose not count as rooms. Like stockpiles for example. Just enter the stockpile designation menu by pressing (p), pick what you want to stockpile and select a nice rectangle of space for storage.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:45:44 am »

Well, the skills of the citizens of Dikeshot are as follows:

All seven have proficient Gelder,
Proficient (Free)Mason.

I am in for a world of fun.

A Kea stole my battleaxe. Wot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:04:46 am by SaberToothTiger »

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:04 am »

Keas are an unfortunate animal greeting for a new player to DF.  And an appropriate one.  Welcome to !FUN!, where even tiny birds can try and ruin your fortress.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:22:24 am »

A Kea stole my battleaxe. Wot.

At least you still have the anvil, right? 
One of the first things I do is dig 2-z down, and dig a 1 tile entry for the door, into an 11x11 (using Shift+arrow) room.
I create a stockpile for that room for all food, furniture, finished goods, cloth, leather, weapon and armor.  So this should cover most of my embark items.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:39 am »

Since you have already deconstructed the wagon, it might be more useful to build a wall around the wagon, and then a roof over it (in order to build the roof, yoiu'll need a ramp). Made of stone, since wood is more useful for other works.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »