Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159913 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1395 on: December 09, 2017, 07:06:50 pm »

Oh, and you can kill Kelbis now.

When i was in that team of randoms, we had my hbg, a bow, an ig, and a ls. I can tell you despite all the action on the screen I was constantly aware of what each person was doing due to the sound design.

I could hear the bow shooting and charging next to me. I could hear the ig jump around. And the explosions are glorious. This is very likely be the first monster hunter where ranged guys aren't completely forgotten by their teammates as there's no way you can miss all the explosions happening on the monster.

It really looks like Godzilla being shot at.

The end game screen also has that Overwatch thing so you can see who did what. And the screenshot of what landed the final blow is gorgeous. I really wish I could have emailed myself the screenshots so I could show them here but sadly I annexed this ps4 temporarily and it's not mine.

I also like the new armour skills. Way more intuitive. The game is also very clear on how they work now.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 09, 2017, 07:09:28 pm »

How in-depth is the end screen thing? Does it actually show the percentage of damage people did? On one hand it'd give you an idea that you need to do better, on the other hand it might make you look bad to everyone else...

As for ranged stuff... I never touched ranged weapons in MH because I can't stand aiming with a D pad (and the whole "the longer you hunt the less damage you do" bit. Perhaps that will change with the new game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 09, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »

It's not really in depth. In fact it doesn't even seem to show damage as a stat. I guess they wanted to avoid that. The one I saw mostly had number of mounts and stuff.

I had absolutely no problems aiming in this despite using a controller. The analog is great. I'm saying this as a predominantly mouse and keyboard player. I had a lot of issues with the control and camera scheme but I fixed them all in the options.

Range is going to dominate this version, trust me. I really doubt anything can out DPS this new hbg. It's obscene the buffs they've given to hbg and bow. I mean, hbg always had the highest DPS in monster hunter but this is another level entirely.

The demo also gives you so damn much ammo and one of hbg's new crazy skills is something which regenerates its own ammo. It's called wyvernheart and it is bonkers. You should look up YouTube videos on it and stare agape because yes, it's as strong as it looks.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 09, 2017, 09:12:03 pm »

On the aiming bit, I'm just going to note I'm having a much easier time of that simply due to the fact I have two sticks on a PS4 controller instead of one on the 2DS (which I have instead of a 3DS because it was cheaper, but iirc the 3DS by default only has the one stick anyway) :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 09, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »

Even trying to the the nipple on the "new" nintendo 3ds doesn't really work. I guess my hands get too sweaty because it doesn't register anything I try to do on that thing so it's entirely useless unless I dig my fingernail into it and force it. I've never had any problems using pointing sticks on old laptops but that damn C-nipple does not want to cooperate.

When I played MH3U I actually had a second D-pad on the bottom screen for moving the camera around and I never even bothered to use the 'lock on' button. Now with so much stuff required to be on the touch screen (hunting arts technically don't need it but you can't see if they're charged otherwise) that kinda went out the window.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:11:39 pm by OzyTheSage »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 09, 2017, 10:59:23 pm »

Pros: Holy shit I love the new bow and LS. DB feels okay, switch axe is nice, sns doesn't feel any different.

Cons: HOLY SHIT I HATE THE PS CONTROLLER.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 10, 2017, 12:30:53 am »

As someone with somewhere close to 2000 hours hunting, about half of that with the LS, I can't wait to hop into this when I get the opportunity.

The fade slash thing, if they really did nerf it, is a huge blow to me. I went from Lance to GL to LS after I realized how mobile you could be while dealing nice amounts of damage (as opposed to the DS). I figured getting out of the way>getting hit. Fade slash was a major tool in that arsenal. Otherwise, I'm gettin all boned up for this jawn.

EDIT: made some recorrections to my phone's "corrections", namely when it changed slash to skagh.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:36:42 am by Man of Paper »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 10, 2017, 12:33:06 am »

In case you guys were wondering what I was talking about with HBG: https://twitter.com/ruirui3141/status/939596235836493824

As you can see, you can move around while doing that. Also all that ammo is native to the gun and regenerates quickly.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »

how are big swords tho

i wanna hit them inna face with my sword
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 10, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »

Have you tried the Hunting Horn yet? I just saw Gaijinhunter's video about the new horn mechanics and I noticed that it actually displays all the available songs on the HUD. Is that a new HUD feature in the main game or is that only available in the training area he was playing in?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 10, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »

Bit disappointed that now that the series is finally back on a PS console, there's still no option for classic attacking controls. I've been playing Bloodborne recently which screws up my muscle memory enough, but when attacking with the shoulder buttons doesn't work my next reflex is to try the right stick... :P

The game is visually gorgeous though. I really like the biodiversity and random little creatures you find everywhere... The ecology has always been something I've enjoyed in the series, and it looks like they're going all-out on it this time.

Also, having a second monster show up and abruptly rip into the monster you're hunting is friggin' amazing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 10, 2017, 06:29:26 pm »

how are big swords tho

i wanna hit them inna face with my sword
Oh, the greatsword got some big buffs too. It's got more combos and stuff and looks fancier. Here's a gif:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can't tell me that doesn't look cool.

Also a lot of people are laughing at how much damage it does, since it can easily do three digit damage numbers. That's really high for the gear they gave us in the demo, which is pretty low tier. To give an example, wyvernfire does only like 60 damage or so and that's one of the highest damage things in the game. Suffice to say GS is great.

Ozy: I don't really main HH all that much though I know how to use it. Being able to have three new saved songs is useful, but I never really found it all that hard to just "cast" my songs whenever I wanted. I dunno. Maybe it's a bigger deal for pros?

I might try it out in the main game when I inevitably unlock a cooler instrument rather than a lame horn. Guitars are always badass. Or bagpipes.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 10, 2017, 06:57:56 pm »

For the hunting horn I'm more interested in how you can see the songs on the screen instead of having to memorize them or go into the pause menu to check.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 11, 2017, 12:33:32 pm »

Why did World not get it's own thread? I completely missed the first 2 days of beta >_<

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: December 11, 2017, 02:47:49 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbG2zNurfE

So apparently there's a sniper variant of the HBG in the demo.

And also your palicos can tame the wildlife.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95