Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159914 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1290 on: August 02, 2016, 07:41:25 pm »

Since I haven't actually played MHgen yet and don't feel like looking stuff up about it, how does playing as a palico actually work? Is it something that is required for certain missions? Can they do stuff that normal hunters can do or are they Something Completely Different?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 02, 2016, 08:19:26 pm »

Since I haven't actually played MHgen yet and don't feel like looking stuff up about it, how does playing as a palico actually work? Is it something that is required for certain missions? Can they do stuff that normal hunters can do or are they Something Completely Different?
They're basically another "class" or weapon. They can do everything a hunter can do but can't use items or have armor skills.

Also they have special prowler missions that only they can do. Not sure WHY only they can do it other than the fact that only they can do it. I consider it a bit of speciesism. They can take all our human jobs but we can't take theirs? Fuck them.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 02, 2016, 08:28:16 pm »

They're basically another "class" or weapon. They can do everything a hunter can do but can't use items or have armor skills.

Also they have special prowler missions that only they can do. Not sure WHY only they can do it other than the fact that only they can do it. I consider it a bit of speciesism. They can take all our human jobs but we can't take theirs? Fuck them.
Heh. Thanks.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 02, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »

Also, they have more than 3 "deaths" to use. They have 2 Acorns they can eat when they fall to zero HP to revive at a portion of the HP bar. The third "0 HP" is a cart. So yes, they have nine lives...

Unless you go to the camp to sleep before the third one, which refills acorns, so they actually have infinite lives.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 02, 2016, 08:34:58 pm »

They're also both ranged (with unlimited ammo) and melee.

And have infinite buffs and heals for the whole team.

And can bury themselves under the ground and move around while underground.

And can run while having their weapon unsheathed.

And they can harvest everything without worrying about broken picks or nets.

And they can run around in cold or heat without needing drinks.

And they have unlimited stamina.

And they have unlimited bombs or whatever skills they chose to bring along.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 02, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »

So what you're saying is I'm an idiot for not having tried it out yet.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 02, 2016, 10:04:35 pm »

A stealing cat can be a decent addition to a group though. It's basically giving everyone the equivalent of 3 extra monster carves.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 02, 2016, 10:24:51 pm »

So what you're saying is I'm an idiot for not having tried it out yet.
You also need to use them for get stuff for recipes and things like that.

I like using them because it's pretty stress-free hunting as you literally use no items so your hunts cost you nothing but time. Not to mention crafting palico gear is way easier than hunter gear, so I don't have to faff with useless low rank gear.

But yeah, it gets pretty derpy later... though I really don't think anyone would disparage you if you brought it into a HR hunt as again, the buffs and skills are pretty useful. Everyone loves healers and buffers. You just will be skipping out on damage. But honestly... do you really need the damage when you basically already have three other DPS-ers? For example, the extra carve things that Ygdrad mentioned.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:03 pm »

Just had a gather quest specifically brought to my attention by the chief while doing 3* village quests. The quest gal had something to say about it too.

"A totally safe quest, where you just gather massive mushrooms that grow in dark, damp places. Nothing to worry about, no siree. Just you, the quest, mushrooms, and safety."

I see what you did there capcom >.>

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:01 pm »

Needless to say, subtlety is not the Bherna Gal's specialty.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:44 am »

I thought I'd check out how my charge blade is like in this one as I haven't touched it or the HBG due to wanting to expand my horizons.

It feels... very strange compared to how I used to play it. My fingers remember all the buttons and combos and all that but they changed some of the key components like being able to use your blasts out of a guard and stuff like that. So I guess I'll have to get used to the new combos.

Guild style is pretty much the same as before. It feels weaker though, because the combos are less potent. Maybe I'll have a different opinion once I get used to it.

Striker style feels like a straight up better version of guild style... except it loses the shield thrust. That can be fairly annoying if you're doing a status weapon or elemental weapon as that's a huge chunk of your DPS.

Aerial feels so frigging weird. You basically never charge your shield ever and are flying in the air doing explosions as you constantly vault over the monsters.

Adept is easily the tankiest thing in the game. See... it makes ALL your standard guards into what is basically just better guard points. You also get a normal guard point on the entire duration of your frigging sword charging ability (aka the thing you're doing like all the frigging time). Oh, and you get that evasion +3 shit that all adept styles get. The only thing you give up is the useless yellow shield (you even keep the shield thrust) which really isn't a big deal because adept style has straight up instant counters with those adept guards and those counters give you red shield. Like... whaaaaaaat? And it's not like the hunter arts for CB is anything special anyway.

I also noticed that the only reason you have to guard point now is for the improved guard you get. EVERY SINGLE RED SHIELD GUARD NOW INFLICTS FREE PHIAL BURSTS. You know those cool videos you see of pros obliterating Tigrex with just guard points? Yeah, don't need to even do that any more. Just guard normally. Holy shit. That's so crazy. You can literally just win fights by holding down R after getting red shield.

-----

That being said... I think they really seriously nerfed the CB. It definitely does way less damage now. Not to mention I think they killed three of the ways you could transition into a burst from sword mode. Also regular guard points force you to go into axe form which sucks super dick.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:06 am »

So I went and did the 3* village quest "Into the Wyvern's Den" I was expecting to run into a rathalos in the nest but to my surprise, some unknown majestic beast slept in peace. So I did what any hunter would do and smashed it in the face with a big sword... it didn't appreciate. I had to wear this thing, it looked too cool not to. A long fight followed but eventually I killed it, having broken both wings, the head, having cut off the tail, and gotten 4 scales and 2 shells from shinies/tail carve. I brought back one of the 2 eggs needed, but a melynx made me drop the second egg in zone 1 due to low stamina and made me lose the quest because I ran out of time.

I am now farming pawprint stamps.

Edit: After a bit of melynx genocide I decided to go after the Astalos(or whatever its name was) that was in the egg mission, except this time I was actually coming prepared. I bring traps, tranqs, might/adamant seeds, extra meat, drink a mega demondrug/armorskin at the start of the quest, go to the nest and... this time it's a velocidrome. D:<

That velocidrome couldn't contain all of my disappointment, it lasted all of 20 seconds.

Edit2: I just went on a quest to kill a bulldrome, but something else was there. It didn't give me its name so I'll call it Mr. Bubbles Von Fabullefluff. While that thing hits like a truck it is laughably easy to avoid. The only times it hit me were because of the bulldrome, which was a bigger threat than it... even the trash mobs were more annoying than Bubbles. Due to having to constantly deal with the bulldrome and the fight slowing down once I ran out of stamina(wasn't expecting a big boss fight), I was unable to get through its hp in time. BTW, what does the bubbles debuff do? I really didn't notice anything off with it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:10:42 pm by Ygdrad »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 04, 2016, 09:28:15 am »

-Charge Blade snip-
I play a lot of Adept Charge Blade, and I can say with confidence it's still relatively strong. The reason they took away the quick guard point into super burst was because it was an easy, extremely powerful punish which made the DPS of the weapon too damn high. Now, all the methods of getting to axe attacks are relatively slow and involve risk.

The trick to Adept is to use sword defensively, focusing on perfect guards to inflict stun/element damage and quickly charge your shield, then switch to axe mode and look for opportunities to punish. If the monster flinches, throw in a double-swing axe punish. If the monster trips, go ham on it with phial combos for days.

I kind of like the changes they made to it. Before, there was little reason to remain in axe mode because it was so slow and punishable, and you could reach the best axe mode attacks through sword rather easily. Now, there's a definite shift from the tanky, defensive sword mode to the risky, high-damage axe.

It got nerfed, yeah, but it still feels good to play.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 05, 2016, 09:03:04 am »

I'm loving the new hunting horn double note mechanic. No more need for encores, just keep hitting monsters.

http://pillshead.tumblr.com/post/147788314330/how-it-feels-when-playing-hunting-horn-in-monster

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 05, 2016, 11:18:17 am »

Four Hunting Horns against a single Hermitaur?

Overkill. :P
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95