Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160313 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #975 on: May 05, 2015, 12:27:47 am »

I always play online randoms dude.

The GS I see the most is Cera Cymmetry. I heard it's the best default GS. Some others I see often are Lightbreak, Grisblade, Ukanlos, and the Fatalis blade. In the super high ranks, I always just see relic GSes though.

I recommend just using the default standard weapon and see if you actually like it before you invest a bunch of resources into getting the best. For example, I used the crappy crabgun HBG for about 50 hunts before I decided I actually really liked HBG. I used the bow for about the same before I decided I hate it. Honestly speaking, the real difference between damage for the shittiest weapon and the best weapon at the same rarity level is like 10 - 20% at best.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:02 am »

I recommend just using the default standard weapon and see if you actually like it before you invest a bunch of resources into getting the best.
I just noticed I can straight up forge the Examplar Blade for fairly cheap so that's a good idea.

EDIT: Goddamnit. I've been doing a few of the tutorial just to tip my toes into the various weapons. Now I kinda wanna try longsword too...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:39:23 am by OzyTheSage »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 05, 2015, 08:48:45 am »

I recommend just using the default standard weapon and see if you actually like it before you invest a bunch of resources into getting the best.
I just noticed I can straight up forge the Examplar Blade for fairly cheap so that's a good idea.

EDIT: Goddamnit. I've been doing a few of the tutorial just to tip my toes into the various weapons. Now I kinda wanna try longsword too...
Seems you've fallen into the Monster Hunter trap. And I'm not talking about pitfalls and shock traps. I'm talking about the one where you endlessly desire more stuff.

Don't worry too much. It's inevitable anyway.
You'll never escape

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 05, 2015, 11:29:26 am »

Got to hr7. (Also a got a phosgem from literally my first high rank shagaru and I feel terrible about that. I bet the desire sensor will murder me in g rank though.) Elder dragon gauntlet time! Teostra has evidently changed a fair bit from freedom unite. Dat supernova. The addition of blast blight makes a lot of sense, though I feel like losing the charged up explosions with variable range was unfortunate.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 05, 2015, 11:33:26 am »

though I feel like losing the charged up explosions with variable range was unfortunate.
Hehehehe....

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 05, 2015, 01:44:07 pm »

though I feel like losing the charged up explosions with variable range was unfortunate.
I have only seen one video of Teostra (through the Let's Play that actually got me interested in MH in the first place) and while it was difficult to see in the video I assume you mean how different colored powders would explode at varying distances from him? As far as I can tell that's still in this, and at least on my 3dsXL it is very clear that not only can he spray the powder at varying distances from himself, but I have seen plenty of times where he will have all the powder concentrated behind him, so it's possible he can have it in other various patterns as well. You just have to look out for the color of the powder and where it is in relation to him. If you're standing inside of it you're probably going to get exploded when he snaps his jaws. You can even see him doing this in his introductory cutscene, the stuff even makes a twinkling sound as it's spread about.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 05, 2015, 04:49:15 pm »

You basically never want to go gunner against G-rank Teostra unless you're some kind of super pro. All his major attacks are ranged attacks with the exception of the supernova. The supernova can be easily predicted by counting to 100.

However, when you're standing at range he can blast localized supernovas at you anytime he likes. It will OHKO you. At GQ 140, the powder explosion radius can be gigantic too and will turn a huge donut area around him into toast. I'm fairly certain he can make a gradually expanding death cloud explosion too.

The safest place against a Teostra is by his back legs until supernova time. Anywhere else is a death zone.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:37 pm »

Beat the Master's Test on my second try, but with 1 cart. My new goal is to do it without any.

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 09, 2015, 04:36:00 pm »

I must say...

Fighting Apex Rajang is certainly a lot easier with a guard lance than with CB. Poke poke poke guard guard guard poke poke poke. With life honing, you can't die. And with guard up you can casually walk through his kamehameha.

Also, why did no one tell me you can regenerate stamina while guarding as a lance? That's crazy!

Countering doesn't work on Rajang though... He just attacks you again right after.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 10, 2015, 04:55:51 am »

I managed to fight a White Fatalis thanks to the help of some guy with Japanese DLC.

He put up quite a fight, but man, he was much easier than he was in MHFU.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 10, 2015, 10:27:31 am »

I only got the game a few days ago. Was having some trouble with the Gore Magala, but then I decided to get some better armor and ended up absolutely destroying him. I'm loving the charge blade so far, but now I'm having trouble with Gravios, and I've been hearing he's a bit easier with a lance/gunlance, so I'm gonna have to grand for materials to get the Zamtrios one, since I also hear he's weak to water.

On another note, the Monster Hunter Wikia is great and all, but sometimes it really falls short. I had no idea what Paddock Oil was for the longest time or how I apparently had some until I looked it up on Kiranico.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 10, 2015, 11:57:35 am »

Use Ping's Dex. It's the most complete resource for MH4U. https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex

It even has the info for arenas and stuff that Kiranico doesn't. Not to mention some info on Kiranico is outright wrong like some damage charts and drop rates and such.

Also, the easiest way to fight Gravios is with ranged weapons. As long as you constantly stay to his back, he can't do anything to you. Lance isn't any different from CB when fighting him as the gas explosion can't be blocked regardless unless you're evade lancing or something. Being melee against Gravios is just annoying in general.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 10, 2015, 03:08:53 pm »

... I'm having trouble with Gravios, and I've been hearing he's a bit easier with a lance/gunlance, so I'm gonna have to grand for materials to get the Zamtrios one, since I also hear he's weak to water.
If you're going for a water lance get the Kecha (expelger) lance. Zamtrios is ice element, Kecha is water. The fight becomes easier if you focus on mounting/breaking its back before going for its belly (you can go for the legs but you might bounce, and its belly is super weak when broken). Breaking its back prevents it from venting its gas out the belly after each beam (he can still do it as a dedicated attack).

On another note, the Monster Hunter Wikia is great and all, but sometimes it really falls short. I had no idea what Paddock Oil was for the longest time or how I apparently had some until I looked it up on Kiranico.
I recommend Pingdex as well, like Umi said. Pingdex is nice because if you're viewing the key quest list you can double click on the monster and it will jump straight to the monster's info page so you can both check the drops and its weaknesses. You can also double click on an item (from any screen) and it will pull up info on where to get said item and what it is used for. I still like to use Kiranico for viewing entire armor sets with a single click, but Pingdex's armor builder is better for if you want to plan out mixed sets or add talismans into the equation.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:10:41 pm by OzyTheSage »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 10, 2015, 03:58:48 pm »

If you want to beat Gravios I highly suggest keeping him near some ledges so you can repeatedly hit him with aerial strikes and mount 4+ times. If you can manage that, you'll break his back and his chest quite easily, as well as opening up opportunities to beat on him while he's downed.

If you're not hitting the chest, try to break the legs, even if you're bouncing off. If you can break them you won't bounce off them anymore (unless your sharpness is really, really bad) and that will allow you to hit them repeatedly to incur a trip, which will give you MORE opportunities to hit him while he's down.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 10, 2015, 04:21:21 pm »

If you're using a lance with the skill Guard Up, you can block both his lasers and his fire gas, making it a lot easier. There's not that much armor in low rank with it, though; only Ingot and Artian give Guard Up, and Battle gives 5 points.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 95