Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160301 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #915 on: April 21, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »

I haven't been able to figure out any combos with the Charge Blade other than X-X-X, but it's a fairly decent maneuver on it's own.

Sword and Shield Mode
I never use the A attack, since it's a slow one, but I assume I'll be finding a use for it later.
The X attack can be chained for a very fast 3 hits, and has a short cool down so you can just keep hitting.
You can also dodge in the middle of a combo or right after, and of course you can always use the shield to block attacks.

When the charge bar turns yellow, you can use shield+A to convert the charge into a useable form; 3 vials for yellow, at least 5 for red (but I think there's a maximum 5 vials, might be more for later blades). Don't ever let it get to "Red+Charge Warning", because all your attacks will bounce and stagger you until you convert the charge.

You can switch to axe mode in two ways. One is the default R+X, but the other is block an attack and while you're sliding back you press X and it will counter while transforming.

Axe Mode
Your R button here is used to switch back to sword mode. I've found that the attack used while doing this can easily be chained into a combo again.

When transforming, it will do a great big overhead swipe, OHKO-ing weak flying bugs and hitting most flying enemies. This can be combo'd into a X chain, OR an A chain immediately. The A chain when comboing directly from a transformation only uses two vials of charge to get to the most powerful strike in the chain, but is the hardest to aim that strike.

When I say the most powerful strike, I mean the hit at the end of an A-A-A combo (Or <R+X>-A-A combo) that transforms the blade automatically to a sword and shield. This transformation CANNOT be used to chain directly into another combo like the OTHER transformation back to SaS mode (above). However, it's still the strongest attack that deals the biggest explosion if you still have charge left.

So keeping in mind if you combo your phial strike immediately after transforming it only uses two phials, your A-A-A combo can only be done if you've transformed and let the blade come to rest. It's more maneuverable, because you can actually move to where the monster ran off to when you transformed, and you're more likely to hit, but in order to get to that strongest strike you're gonna use three phials, or more if a monster interrupted your combo.

General observations
Whether you mount with the Axe or SaS mode, it makes no difference for damage output or ability to stay on. When leaping off a cliff with your weapon put away, it will default to SaS. Mounting with weapon drawn requires dodging off the cliff, since you can't run or charge like a lance or hammer. Air attacks with the Axe have more reach and damage, but cannot charge the blade or use phials.

Auto-guard will often activate on attacks that don't normally deal damage, and use up stamina when you otherwise wouldn't. More often than it activates on attacks that DO deal you damage. However, that's useful for changing to Axe mode immediately.

The damage listed is slightly misleading, I think. It does seem to do more damage in Axe mode with X attacks then SaS with X attacks.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 21, 2015, 02:08:34 pm »

I never use the A attack, since it's a slow one, but I assume I'll be finding a use for it later.
Do you know how to properly use it? You have to charge it up, and then it does two strong hits and helps a lot with charging the phials.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 21, 2015, 02:10:45 pm »

Ah, thanks.  :D Still learning about all the weapons, even the one I use the most.
The Cyan Menace

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 21, 2015, 02:48:09 pm »

I just spam the roundhouse slash with axe mode, and I'm progressing nicely. I seldom use Axe mode, though.
Will I run into something that makes me change my ways soon?
thincake

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 21, 2015, 03:17:06 pm »

I would think the thing that makes you change your ways is when you wonder why your hunts take so long. I kinda did what you were doing all the way to Dah'ren Mohran. At that point trying to solo him took forever and I actually had to learn how to do damage as a CB.

It took me about 200 hours to properly learn how to use CB by the way. It's pretty complicated. I'd say easily the most difficult weapon to use effectively in the game.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 22, 2015, 01:21:11 am »

On the other hand, it took me about thirty seconds to learn how to use dual blades. The tricky part is not getting eaten or whatever, since all the decent attacks are very long combos!
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 22, 2015, 01:22:53 am »

So long?
I kill inordinately fast with CB. Lots of phial charging and then 'sploding. Is there some sort of way to go even faster?
thincake

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:00 am »

I've gotten a bit into dual blades recently myself, after I put together a teostra/daora pair. It's also the most fun weapon to have Mega Dash Juice (emphasis mandatory) for, and nothing is as fun as demon dashing off a ledge onto a monster you are fighting.

Still, I think the weapons I am personally most effective with is the insect glaive and great sword. I'd say that the great sword is also a decent starting weapon. It might feel a bit clunky at first, but the three things to keep in mind is to always stow the sword away when not in use, dodge after every hit, and only charge when the monster is open to it.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 22, 2015, 01:34:59 am »

GS is great, yeah. I used it in MH3U to great effect using that advice.
thincake

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 22, 2015, 05:59:41 am »

I use dual swords without mega dash juice or stamina palicos, usually never exit arch deamon mode either, at least I think that is what its called when you reach the full power bar.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 22, 2015, 07:58:21 pm »

So long?
I kill inordinately fast with CB. Lots of phial charging and then 'sploding. Is there some sort of way to go even faster?
Well, I don't know how good you are so I have no clue if you can go faster.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:19 pm »

So long?
Well, I don't know how good you are so I have no clue if you can go faster.
I am so sorry...

In actual MH news, Tidal Najarala is insanely annoying (as I believe was already discussed somewhere on this thread)! Why can't you take after the Berserk Tetsucabra, Tidal Najarala? His attacks aren't cheap homing balls of death! He doesn't try to encircle you with a really cheap, hard-to-avoid attack that does nothing but waste your time!
WHY ARE YOU SUCH A JERK

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 24, 2015, 07:49:40 pm »

So I just beat my first Frenzied Congalalalalala. Whatever, too many las.
I need better armor, methinks. Not that the Congalala did enough damage to me to make me faint, but that monster just has too much health and I used too many potions for that fight (12 mega, including the ones I crafted mid-fight, plus 3 first aid meds and two regular potions).

At this sort of level, what can you recommend for me? I've been using Velociprey armor, with psychic gems. Should I spring for Rathian armor, or something else?
The Cyan Menace

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 24, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »

Velociprey is a pretty solid armor. Do not make rath armors. They cost plates which is a goddamn pain to get.

What weapon are you using?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »

Velociprey armor was good enough for all of low rank in my case. If you do want an upgrade:
  • Rathalos is pretty good offensively with Attack Up (M) and Fire Atk +1, but you'll need a plate or two, which are pretty rare and very annoying. What doesn't help is how you'll immediately have to get new armor once you get to High Rank, and never wear this armor again.
  • Garuga is nice with Earplugs and Critical Eye +1, but you need a guild quest to fight him and thus he is a pain.
  • Gravios has Defense Up (I dunno how much in total) and Guard, if you're using one of those weapons that can guard. He's an annoying fight though, and I forget if he's accessible at that time.
  • Ceanataur head, Gore chest, Ceanataur arms, Gore waist, and Torso Up legs (like Tetsucabra) gives Sharpness+1 (good if it makes your weapon reach blue sharpness or better, not really that great otherwise), and gemmed right, Speed Sharpening. Chilling Beaks to trade for Ceanataur Pincers might be hard to find.
  • Battle armor has Attack Up (s) and Speed Sharpening plus points toward Guard, and is pretty easy to make, but is only a small defense boost compared to Velociprey.
  • Barroth armor is pretty nice with Attack Up (S) and Guard +1, with enough points that you can get Defense Up (S) too while not removing AuS.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 95