Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160283 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #870 on: April 16, 2015, 08:42:59 am »

I've actually been thinking of getting this as well, when I get a 3DS.
Is something like the C-stick or Circle Pad Pro necessary for enjoying it, or...?

I play without one. Lock-on and the plus-pad for the second screen are more than enough. Hell, mostly I only use the target lock.
By the way, afaik, if you get a New 3DS, then it has something like a circle pad the right side, so you might want to look into that.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:47 am »

That's what I was talking about when I said the C-stick.
So, it's not necessary?
Good to know.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 16, 2015, 09:39:24 am »

I only have about 4 more quests to do before I've 100% all the quests in the game.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 16, 2015, 09:50:17 am »

Even the arena?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:57 am »

Even the arena?
Except the Arena, and the DLC, and the guild quests, and the expeditions.

I did a random 136 guild quest for a Deviljho yesterday. It was a rare quest, which means treasure area. So myself and one other ran to the treasure area, which for some bloody reason was all the way in the final area some 5 screens away from the start. And the apex Deviljho was at the start.

I don't know if the host was just stupid or what have you, but he seemed to not care about the treasure area and went straight to fight the Apex Deviljho with another idiot random. The two of us pinged a few times to get them to realize there's a treasure area but they didn't seem to care.

Then they died. Unsurprisingly.

Then they left the room, went back to the lobby and started flaming us. "I hate leeches like you" was my favorite. Leeches? I'm bloody 140HR, how would I get here by leeching off people? Since the two of us with brains were still in the actual fight, we couldn't actually explain anything so we just went to finish the 136 GQ Apex Deviljho ourselves. The fun part was that none of us could die, since the two morons wasted the lives already.

It was an epic fight. Took so frigging long with just two people and the map was so bloody huge. The Deviljho would run from one end to the other 5 screens away. I think after 15 minutes the idiot host finally left. Maybe he thought we were still AFK or something, I dunno. When we finally beat it it felt so glorious. I think my favorite parts would be when we would slowly approach the super Deviljho with our shields out and hunkering down to block the constant lasers. It was like two turtles vs a giant sea cucumber laser death machine with teeth. The fact that we couldn't screw up and die was probably the most exciting part, which is probably why it took so long as we were so cautious.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 16, 2015, 12:32:42 pm »

Friend codes, etc.

Apologies for lacking... specificity.
You don't need to have friend codes with anyone to join their game provided they give you their room id and passcode. Friend codes allow you to connect to people by opening up a friend list, then touching their name. You can passcode protect a room so that your friends won't need to know the passcode, while others will. There doesn't seem to be a distance limit or region locking as far as I know. Not sure how rooms are hosted, but I assume rooms are peer-to-peer, while the quest is hosted by the quest holder.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 16, 2015, 04:04:10 pm »

Friend codes, etc.

Apologies for lacking... specificity.
You don't need to have friend codes with anyone to join their game provided they give you their room id and passcode. Friend codes allow you to connect to people by opening up a friend list, then touching their name. You can passcode protect a room so that your friends won't need to know the passcode, while others will. There doesn't seem to be a distance limit or region locking as far as I know. Not sure how rooms are hosted, but I assume rooms are peer-to-peer, while the quest is hosted by the quest holder.

Can confirm most of this. Also of note is that Monster Hunter tracks friends seperately to your 3DS - all of your 3DS friends are friends on MH4U, regardless of whether or not they have the game, but not all of your MH4U friends will be your 3DS friends.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 18, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »

Finally upgraded my crappy starter CB to something else. It's the Fatalis Blast CB honed for attack (as opposed to my old one which was honed for defense).

The difference in damage is uh.... substantial. And everything keeps exploding.

Too bad the sharpness sucks ass.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 18, 2015, 01:09:19 pm »

Sadly, they nerfed blast so that it is only particularly good for breaking parts.
It's 100 pure damage dude (depending on monster). Shit hurts.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:17 pm »

Blast is still pretty substantial. Especially online, as monsters in G rank get a bonus to defense. Blast bypasses that and deals 100-300 true damage to a monster, pretty instant and it doesn't block buildup like poison does. The nerf was unfortunately much needed since either the kelbi or dios bow (can't recall) would do a massive amount of slime buildup and just flinch a monster until it died. It also benefits from felyne blaster in MH4U as well as the bomb skill, so it synergizes nicely with those two skills. I think blast more or less surpasses poison in higher ranks due to the buildup thing, 400 poison damage won't apply until the poison is over, but 400 blast means you'll get a lot of explosions in the time it takes a poison to resolve.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 18, 2015, 02:03:17 pm »

It was the kelbi bow.
And let's not forget that the usual for speedruns was 1 God's Archipelago Bowgun and 3 dios dual swords for a reason.

Still, flat damage is flat damage. Breaking parts is something that's also nice, even if there would be no other great advantages.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 18, 2015, 03:14:16 pm »

...doesn't block buildup like poison does...
You can still build poison damage while they're poisoned. (gaijinhunter video, text version)

When you say 400 poison damage, are you referring to the number on the weapon or 400 points of actual damage? Because while you're right that the full 400 points of damage won't all affect the monster until the poison runs out, the number on the weapon isn't how much damage it'll do. Instead, like blast, it'll do a different amount per monster (usually 4 damage per second for 60 seconds, you can see on Kiranico's specific monster pages). Rather, as I'm sure you know, the weapon's number is how much goes toward being poisoned, not the damage the monster takes from the poison.

But you are right on blast being better for burst. I'm sure a team of 4 blast would do better than 4 poison.

Somewhat related, here's a little comment on how having much higher blast doesn't necessarily translate to much more explosions. I thought it was pretty interesting, but now I'm kinda bummed out because I'll have to farm for Brachy weapons. I hate getting those Brach Hammers.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 18, 2015, 03:24:42 pm »

I hate getting those Brach Hammers.
Haha. Hahaha. Ha.

Yeah... no kidding. Brach hammers exist to make you angry. I once killed three Brachy in a row, each time breaking BOTH FISTS and capping, with no hammers.

Then I got fed up and just murdered him, breaking one fist, and got a hammer.

What do you want from me, game?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 18, 2015, 03:32:17 pm »

I'm fairly certain the hammer info on Kiranico is completely wrong. I've gotten more gems, palliums, and reactors than I have hammers and obliterators.

The only reason I'm using the C. Fatalis CB instead of the Brachy one is because the Brachy one needs 3 obliterators. No way in hell am I going to farm that.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 18, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »

I'm fairly certain the hammer info on Kiranico is completely wrong. I've gotten more gems, palliums, and reactors than I have hammers and obliterators.

The only reason I'm using the C. Fatalis CB instead of the Brachy one is because the Brachy one needs 3 obliterators. No way in hell am I going to farm that.
But that Lightbreak Blade is so coooooool~
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 95