Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160258 times)

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #780 on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:32 am »

As they say: Armour is a crutch. The only Monster Hunter game I had played in depth before 4U was Tri, and I didn't quite get to the end of High Rank there.

I'm up to the beginning of Dundorma in caravan, and I've only had derring -> velociprey armour thus far. Working on a Kirin set courtesy of a guild quest given to me by an acquaintance from another forum.

The only two things that have triple carted me thus far in Caravan have been Zinogre and Shigeru Miyagala. (I don't count gathering hall because I tried the Akantor event quest with other people and got oneshotted twice. :P)

Really, what I think you need to do early on is get good at using one weapon so that you know the dodge and mechanics quite well, since that way you know if you can panic sheathe-and-superman out of an attack, or if you can roll or backhop or what have you and know that you'll be safe.

EDIT: Also, stay off-centre to things and, if possible, underneath them. This is a pretty good way to avoid most attacks, aside from hipchecks, turns, tailswipes and things along the lines of "jump back and shoot fire".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:52:09 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 06, 2015, 02:16:21 am »

The problem with urgent quests is that you CAN'T have equipment to match them.  Pink Rathian unlocks the guild 5 quests, which gets you the monster drops to make armor good enough to stand up to the pink rathian...  So I waited until I got two HR 112+ people at the 'G-Crown' level and they just wrecked it.
In my case I just used the Nerscylla sword and sheild with a friend of mine who brought a greatsword along. We had one false start, followed by my chaining mounts on it in its starting area before putting it to sleep. You can totally get by with just the sword honestly, since you can sleep the pink rathian and then drop some barrel bombs at her.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 06, 2015, 03:46:56 am »

Also, by the way, I realized I should probably share my FC. I guess people who haven't done so, or who already have, might share them? I could turn this post into an index of peoples' FCs, if it were wanted.

Anyway, mine is 1006-1889-9315.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 06, 2015, 07:18:28 am »

Also, by the way, I realized I should probably share my FC. I guess people who haven't done so, or who already have, might share them? I could turn this post into an index of peoples' FCs, if it were wanted.
Seconding that notion. Don't have my DS on me at the moment, but will post code when I do.

Also,
The problem with urgent quests is that you CAN'T have equipment to match them.  Pink Rathian unlocks the guild 5 quests, which gets you the monster drops to make armor good enough to stand up to the pink rathian...
This is why there are armor spheres. If you're having trouble with a quest and simply NEED better defense, put on your favorite armor and slap ten spheres or so into it. A defense buff from your meal on top of that should give it enough extra defense to be decent against whatever you're fighting.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 06, 2015, 07:41:51 am »

I've never had a monster I felt I wasn't geared well enough to beat.  Including Pink Rathian.  Though she definitely spooked me the first time I ate a good hit.
Shoes...

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:48 am »

I've never had a monster I felt I wasn't geared well enough to beat.  Including Pink Rathian.  Though she definitely spooked me the first time I ate a good hit.

I felt the same and then Zinogre completely destroyed me, but I think that was more due to lack of ability to dodge for some reason.

And then I got to Hermitaur and I got COMPLETELY destroyed to the point that basically any hit killed me. "Fun" times.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 06, 2015, 08:19:09 am »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:19:05 pm by penguinofhonor »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 06, 2015, 08:23:56 am »

I was wearing a Gravios set, if I remember correctly. It helped against the fire. Not so much against the poison. Healcats had that covered, though. Detox horn is simply glorious.

Another things I'm curious about - does anyone else feel like cats slowly become squishier in the higher rank quests no matter what armor you give them? I swear, my Ace Palico could tank like twenty hits in Derring gear from a large monster at the beginning of the game, and now I'm lucky if he can take 3 wearing full High Rank Zinogre.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 06, 2015, 08:31:17 am »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:19:12 pm by penguinofhonor »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 06, 2015, 08:40:52 am »

True. Still, I feel like my healcats are becoming less useful simply because they spend more time out of the fight than in it and using their horns. I wish there was some way to keep the monster from going aggro on them.

Heck, I wish MH had a traditional MMO aggro system where the guy doing the most damage accrued the most aggro.
I suppose I could don some armor that gives me Taunt.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2015, 10:04:05 am »

I have a launcher cat with team signal and rocket skill.  It would have been very useful to rocket on command if it wasn't a launcher cat. It theory, it sounds good with the mount horn and mounting damage they do but the actual launching is dubious at best.

Speaking of rocket cats, seeing the hit Dah'ren with a rocket and knock him down is funny as hell.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:19:00 am by majikero »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 06, 2015, 10:12:32 am »

I just use my super super Purrtuoso for everything. They don't need to do anything outside of that.

Lost 30% hp. Signal for Purrtuoso. Heal to full, and get a recurrent potion-level heal every few seconds for about a minute. Stamina bar reset to 100%.

In G-rank palicos can get really useless simply because they'll spend 90% of the fight either being dead or panicking. Depending on the monster I might not even bring them along. For example, when you bring Palicos along to fight Brachy, they just lead him away from you making it harder to hit him due to all the jumping about.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 06, 2015, 10:26:52 am »

I wish my Purrtuoso+ Palico had Team Signal. Sounds super useful.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 06, 2015, 02:59:00 pm »

Its one of the reasons why I've seen support palicos gets used alot, because they heal almost silly quick when you have 5 in 1st stingers. But that is mainly if you want your palicos to continue to focus on being a distraction.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 06, 2015, 08:57:35 pm »

Here's my friend code: 0361-9408-8296

Feel free to add me. I'm gonna dig through the previous pages of this thread to add everyone who's posted theirs.

EDIT - Went through every page using CTRL+F to search for "code." Have added only Girlinhat and Baneling. If I'm missing anyone tell me. I'm playing pretty often now and would be more than happy to join any hunt (provided said hunt won't result in me getting OHKO'd).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:05:29 pm by Nighthawk »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 95