Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160195 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #585 on: March 17, 2015, 09:45:16 am »

I think the mushroom ques is a good thing. Ignoring gathering early on in the game can screw you over, and it helps you get the lay of a map at least. Besides, it's a five minute quest if you're a veteran.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 17, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »

On the note of MH doing stuff you hate, what made me laugh for real at the start was when the mushroom collecting quest is introduced. Something along the lines of "we just had to have a unique mushroom collection quest, it's a tradition" -> obviously implying that we do it despite knowing it's a bore.

That really seems to be a tradition in these games, making you do things they know you don't like and laughing about it.  If I didn't know better I'd think the game's loot tables intentionally put you one piece away from whatever you're trying to make, forcing you to do the entire quest over for a single item.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 17, 2015, 04:43:46 pm »

I think it's fine. You can't have a game just endlessly have highs without lows. When you have extremely shitty quests you appreciate the good quests more. I think there are different benefits that are hard to figure out too. For example, my extreme hatred for egg quests was what made me actually bother to learn how skills and armours worked just so I could end them earlier.

One thing I like a lot of MH4 is that the singleplayer story gives you a lot more reasons to actually want to do the fetch quests. Compared to MH3 where you had no clue why you were doing anything.

I enjoy MH4's single player quite a lot. The characters are great, from the super cute Guildmarm to the juju voodoo melder. I heard that the dialogue isn't as amusing in the original Japanese version but rather the English localization team just decided to take a lot of liberties. For example, Guildmarm just calls you Hunter in Japanese compared to Doodle here. I dunno about you, but I love Doodle way more. Also the whole bit with the eyebrows isn't in the Japanese version apparently. I freaking loved the eyebrow comments.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 17, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »

How can they see my eyebrows through my helmet/mask =o

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 17, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »

Also, the High Questatrix. She laughs maniacally about how you're going to die every time you increase your hunter rank, and then ends every speech with "... I wouldn't want to see you get hurt."

Low Questatrix has her share of funny lines too. When you reach high rank she says something along the lines of, "No, don't say it. Don't say "I'll always be low rank for you."" She cries about how you probably won't have any use for her anymore, and it's brilliant.

... On another note: Has anyone ever dismissed, or rather, TRIED to dismiss a Palico? Because the game makes you feel like a heartless jackass the moment you choose one to dismiss.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 17, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »

You can get around that by using the Palicoes option on the start menu instead. All you get to hear is one last plaintive meow, which is a fair bit nicer than the cutscene.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:58 pm »

one last plaintive meow
My heart breaks at those words alone

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 17, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »

You can get around that by using the Palicoes option on the start menu instead. All you get to hear is one last plaintive meow, which is a fair bit nicer than the cutscene.
I wish I knew about this before, I went and tried to fill up my list on purpose so that when I hired a new one I could dismiss a bunch en mass.

There are multiple reasons I don't want to sit through that cutscene of them leaving, and time is just one of them =(

Except bomb cats. Fuck those guys.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 17, 2015, 05:22:49 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:35:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »

I actually made and egg set then killed all the big monsters instead. Also tried messing with bombing the rocks. It only works once and you should bomb the way back because its each area has it's own rock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 17, 2015, 06:09:51 pm »

I fired my bomb cat after he blew me out of a 3x charged super swing and then missed his flying f bomb.  Then I saw him at Sunsnug Isle and he begged me to rehire him and I felt so bad I did so.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2015, 06:16:45 pm »

When you try to dismiss a palico, I recommend you click change your mind. It's quite amusing.

There's SO MANY fucking little things. For example, did you know when you equip your palico with Basarios armour, it will camo itself as a rock when you crouch?

By the way, the High Questatrix gets all tsundere on you when you do the final high rank urgent quests.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 17, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »

I was rushing through to not slow down the Dalamadur train so I didn't get to read that stuff.

Kinda sad now.  Ah well, I can always use another character slot.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2015, 06:32:10 pm »

The great thing about playing with friends is when that stuff comes up you don't need to skip through it because they're more likely to be patient with you than PUGs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2015, 06:36:53 pm »

There's a lot of great dialogue that's easy to skip through.

The whole running joke about the crazy hero hunter who fought the Dah'ren Mohran in his underwear until the High Questatrix figures out it was you.

The Ace Commander going all tsundere on you (it's so fucking hilarious). "Oh you're back safely. *hmph* Not that I care!"

The Guildmarm's reponses. "Take me with you! Put me in your pocket! WHAT DO YOU MEAN I WON'T FIT?" "Here, take a lock of my hair with- where are you going?"

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 95