Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160146 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #510 on: March 14, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »

The game is totally shit. You really shouldn't get it. It's so garbage.  The past 37 pages is just us complaining about how shit it is.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 14, 2015, 02:39:03 pm »

was wondering if it's worth getting a 3DS because of MH4 since from what i've seen of the game it looks like a downgrade in graphics as opposed to MH3
Buy a new 3ds (and a 3ds charger!) and you'll get 60 fps for what it's worth.

On the other hand, I think it actually looks better, and it certainly plays better. Plus I've been playing this game over the internet with people literally halfway across the world, with around one bar of wireless, along with on of us using a DSL line, and I've been having close to minimal issues outside the item box being a little slow.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »

was wondering if it's worth getting a 3DS because of MH4 since from what i've seen of the game it looks like a downgrade in graphics as opposed to MH3

Eh, I'm of the opinion that gameplay makes a game, and not the graphics.  But if you're in for a graphics thing then just realize that it's on a 3DS and that you should be amazed that it has better graphics than a bunch of PS2 games.  And it's on a handheld device.

My strategy with the Daimyo Hermitaur was to hit it until it broke.

It's also my strategy with everything in the game. Been working great so far.

To be fair, it's a pretty valid strategy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 14, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »

It's also 3d, dude.

At first I didn't like the 3d, it was hard to see and there was a ton of crosstalk but I'm getting a lot better.  I can actually use bowguns in 3d now without ruining my aim.  In fact I'm getting so used to it I can't go back to 2d.  Last time I tried playing in 2d I kept swinging at nothing because I couldn't gauge distance anymore.

Also god damn.  I'm working on Ceanataur armor and I'm at +9 sharpness right now.  To get +10 I need either a basarios wing or a chilling beak to make my next ceanataur piece.  "So close but so far" is a constant feeling in monster hunter, the feeling of having to go out and do a whole mission to get a single item.  With the basarios I have to find one first, with the chilling beak I'll probably have to kill a million najaralas.
Shoes...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 14, 2015, 04:40:32 pm »

Trying to bridge the gap between low and high rank at the moment, and it's awful. Managed to get Jaggi S armor early on, and I've been using that for everything thus far... but it's still terrifying. Getting hit by the corkscrew tail whip of the Pink Rathian nearly obliterated me. How I won that fight I have no idea.

I want to make armor out of that Pink Rathian, but the price is TWO Rathian rubies, which is ridiculous.
Might just go for regular Rathian S armor. I think I can manage that.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2015, 05:32:50 pm »

Tetsucabra S served me well for the most part, enough defensive buffs and stuff on it that you're good for the most part, just have to watch out for Khezus and the occasional Zingore.

Finally upgraded to Shagaru Magala's HR set, holy crap it is waaaay sturdy, at least until G-rank, anyway.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2015, 09:53:51 pm »

You can negate the elemental weakness by eating for the elemental food skills. No matter how low it gets, as long as the food skill is active, elemental defense is set to 3.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2015, 10:26:20 pm »

Got my first chilling beak after only two runs.  I don't actually n eed to get the second for the skill, I just need it for increased defense potential and so I don't look silly.  Not sure what to do with the gems yet.  Maybe gem for defense or health to offset the damage from changing from tetsucabra.

Or evasion gems but I don't think I can even make those.

God fucking dammit.  So as long as I don't die I'm fine because of the food skills.  If I die once though I'm fucked, I don't have anywhere near the resilience or anything to survive once I've died once.  So I gotta load up on defense or evasion gems.

I think I'mg onna go back to full tetsucabra for now.  Razor Sharp didn't do what I thought it did and I don't need it if I can manage to keep sharpener.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:55:32 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 14, 2015, 10:59:06 pm »

I used Velociprey armor through most of low rank, and Velociprey S armor through the first parts of high rank up until I got Tetsucabra S (Rhenoplos show up in sunken hollow harvest tour unlocked by doing the "pro hunter's" quests) and Lagombi S armor. I have an evasion +4 talisman so I can use two evasion +3 gems in my Lagombi armor to get evasion 1 and evade distance. Tetsucabra armor doesn't have enough slots for that. Right now I've put so many armor spheres into my Lagombi armor that I think I have more defense than Ispil or Karkov, hehehe. Also when you get to high rank I recommend killing (not KOing, just use a cutting weapon) Kelbi to get high quality pelt so you can get high rank leather armor for gathering (Speed Gather mmmmmmmm).

As for getting ready for the elder dragon marathon that is HR7... I'm not sure, might break down and make some Gravios S armor or something and put evasion by the wayside until I become more proficient with it.

The second most useful tip I can give someone is to 'know your weapon.'
Honestly I feel the link to the weapon tutorials should be in OP.
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6gKnowing the monster beforehand helps too, but where's the Fun in that?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:00:57 pm by OzyTheSage »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2015, 11:03:13 pm »

Got my first chilling beak after only two runs.  I don't actually n eed to get the second for the skill, I just need it for increased defense potential and so I don't look silly.  Not sure what to do with the gems yet.  Maybe gem for defense or health to offset the damage from changing from tetsucabra.

God fucking dammit.  So as long as I don't die I'm fine because of the food skills.  If I die once though I'm fucked, I don't have anywhere near the resilience or anything to survive once I've died once.  So I gotta load up on defense or evasion gems.

I think I'mg onna go back to full tetsucabra for now.  Razor Sharp didn't do what I thought it did and I don't need it if I can manage to keep sharpener.
I highly recommend not using rare materials like chilling beak for low rank armour, if that's what you're doing.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2015, 11:37:56 pm »

Right now I've put so many armor spheres into my Lagombi armor that I think I have more defense than Ispil or Karkov, hehehe.

Nah, I took the title of being THE ROCK back.  ETG helped me earlier farm enough Shagaru Caresses / Carapaces to make the full Arc S set.

I think my defense is sitting somewhere around 400~ now?

EDIT:  Just checked, it's sitting at 438 currently.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:41:10 pm by Karkov »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 14, 2015, 11:43:58 pm »

I highly recommend not using rare materials like chilling beak for low rank armour, if that's what you're doing.

That's what I just realized.  It's low rank, it's gonna be replaced, I need to stop fiddling with it.  So I switched back to pure tetsucabra.

Lost an easy chilling beak but oh well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:00:41 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 15, 2015, 12:01:52 am »

Finally got my 5th heal cat. After all that annoying repeating of harvest quest, my reward is Parting Gift. What a useless skill for 5 cats.

Also 200 difference is size is HUGE. Like I saw that Rathalos and it was HUGE and landing next to the dead Rathian made it very obvious.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 15, 2015, 12:07:44 am »

My problem with Parting Gift is I don't have time to pick that crap up while a monster is triyng to eat my face, especially when 90% of the time it's a damn Herb.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 15, 2015, 12:29:36 am »

My problem with Parting Gift is I don't have time to pick that crap up while a monster is triyng to eat my face, especially when 90% of the time it's a damn Herb.
With parting gift+ you tend to get stuff like first aid+ instead.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 95