Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160145 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #495 on: March 12, 2015, 07:45:37 pm »

My problem with mounting is when you hit the monster's back in midair and you go flying in one direction while the monster flops halfway across the map, denying you the mount.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »

In effect it's not that big a deal, as you auto sheath on being tossed off, and they're knocked over for quite a while.

It also does damage to breakable parts! Heads at least, unsure about other bits.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:25 pm »

No, you don't even get to hop on. They flinch when you attack them midair and it counts as a mount, but when you touch the ground you won't actually jump on top if you're too far away. So, you'll flinch them for the mount but they get flinched too far away or you go flying off in a different direction because of clipping physics or whatever.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »

Depends on the monster.  Basarios you can break the back and if you mount while it's on its back you can break the chest too.  I bet you can break the nerscylla's back too.

I'm going back to longsword.  For one I've almost got my eager cleaver (fucking khezu drop a god damn electro sac), and I dunno how much I like the glaive's style.  I think I'll go with a bow or gun for multiplayer, I like the supporty style of the bow especially and the aesthetics of the heavy gun.  I got three Rathian bows out of one expedition but none of them supported exhaust and I like exhaust.  Is exhaust actually good?

Because I also like launch cats

I dunno how much I like expedition gear though.  I love the idea of expeditions (though I'd prefer knowing less ahead of time.  I like how random monsters show up on expeditions but I want more of that randomness) but getting free stuff that's really good kind of undercuts a lot of the fun.  I got a rimeblade with like 150 blast and it's hard to justify (outside of fun) using the stuff I made
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:55:16 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2015, 01:57:25 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:30:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »

When I did the Monoblos fight, my weapon bounced off of most of his limbs.  It was an interesting fight.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:23 pm »

Woo, finally got confirmation of shipping of 3DS. It's arriving on Monday.

Tentative estimate, I'll be able to buy MH4U on Wednesday, finally.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2015, 05:13:31 pm »

Welcome to the club!  You can play with us nobs who are still early.  I'm fighting Zinogre right now, stocking up on Fulgurbugs so I can make my devil slicer.  I decided I don't dislike the hard crafting barriers as much as I thought I did.  In MH1 the crafting was pretty much linear and didn't entail much choice.  I rushed Great Serpentblade ASAP, then started working towards Rathalos Firesword.

Now I can't move up as smoothly but I have more to do.  I've got multiple sword lines I'm building along simultaneously and that gives me a lot more versatility.  Got caught by a random seltas queen with my incurviscera and the water damage did nothing, I ended up having to flee that fight.  Now though I'm using it to whomp this Zinogre and after that'll I'll use it on the Yian Garuga and upgrade it onto the poison glaive line, make a new curviscera for water, and the Seltas Queen is gonna be easy with the poison glaive.

The difficulty really ramps up past the Gore Magala (Umiman was right, Gore Magala is pretty much the gateway "are you ready for high rank caravan or are you still fucking around?" monster) which I'm pretty happy about.  A lot of pre-Gore fights were pretty anticlimactic, I was especially disappointed by the zamtrios.

Haha.  I gave myself speed sharpening and in the process killed all of my other skills.  Might look into different armor sets entirely.  I also decimated the local jaggi population, the last one I killed was abnormally small.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:24:33 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #503 on: March 14, 2015, 03:27:47 am »

Expect another gateway with Daimyo Hermitaur, the first high rank fight. Dude can one shot you in low rank armor! Felyne defender or Divine Whim (the armor skill) helps significantly.

No, you don't even get to hop on. They flinch when you attack them midair and it counts as a mount, but when you touch the ground you won't actually jump on top if you're too far away. So, you'll flinch them for the mount but they get flinched too far away or you go flying off in a different direction because of clipping physics or whatever.

Oh, I see, unsure if I've ever had that happen. I've certainly knocked over a monster with a jumping attack without mounting it, but I'd assumed that was intended. Like you did enough damage to knock them over, but their mounting resist was still too high to proc the mount. Semantics, at any rate!

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 14, 2015, 06:56:59 am »

Expect another gateway with Daimyo Hermitaur, the first high rank fight. Dude can one shot you in low rank armor! Felyne defender or Divine Whim (the armor skill) helps significantly.

Oh, I see, unsure if I've ever had that happen. I've certainly knocked over a monster with a jumping attack without mounting it, but I'd assumed that was intended. Like you did enough damage to knock them over, but their mounting resist was still too high to proc the mount. Semantics, at any rate!

Just beat that myself, in a set of mostly Rathalos armor (Attack Up L Wheee). And it was...surprisingly easy. I didn't even bring in a second healing palico, I went stealing instead. My biggest suggestion for those having a hard time is to take it slow. You're given 50 minutes to beat the boss, you don't have to do it in 10. Take your time running around the boss, getting in single whacks and backing off while you get used to his attack patterns. When the monster goes into rage mode, back off again, watch what's changed and adjust. You don't need to get your full combo off, and a single hit on the monster with no return damage is far more valuable than a full combo that gets you whacked and sends you flying. I honestly spent most of the S.Magala fight running circles around it and pelting it with my Kinsect, getting used to how it worked before I went in fighting.

The second most useful tip I can give someone is to 'know your weapon.' Each weapon behaves differently, and you'll find your hunting will go a lot easier the more familiar you are with how your weapon works. Watch a video, go on a gathering quest and just spend ten minutes swinging your weapon around to get used to the combos, and when you can stop them for a quick dodge or block. My efficiency went way up when I stopped mashing the buttons and started really working my bugstick.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 14, 2015, 10:27:50 am »

Learning several different weapons also helps loads. Some monsters are simply easier to defeat with different weapons. Taking a movement-slowing weapon like a greatsword or lance to a Nerscylla fight, for example, is asking for the fight to get prolonged; Nerscylla loves to jump around and stay out of your reach, so having more mobility is super helpful there. And if you're fighting something large like Gravios, consider using a weapon than can block, in case you won't have enough time to get out of the way of its enormous hitboxes.

I thought after Tri I would never use anything other than greatsword, but now I find myself upgrading trees for greatsword, lance, gunlance, and charge blade. Seriously - every weapon has the potential to be really fun and really useful if you give it a chance.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 14, 2015, 01:32:29 pm »

I know I should really make a different type of weapon, or use this 600 damage hammer I got from a hunt, but I'm too addicted to the stupid Insect Glaive.  It's flashy, it has quick attack animations, I have hops for days...  I can't get rid of the hops man, I just can't.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 14, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »

lance can hop, not in the way/ease that the glaive does though. what it is you hold R then press X+A and you will do a charge attack, if you hold back and press B you will jump and can do an attack.

Oh and trying to hop onto a deviljho isn't the best of ideas, yes you can, but it can back up very quickly to initiate its next attack.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:24:05 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2015, 02:23:16 pm »

My strategy with the Daimyo Hermitaur was to hit it until it broke.

It's also my strategy with everything in the game. Been working great so far.

In all seriousness though, I didn't actually enter high rank solo play until HR5 online. My actual first HR fight was a Congalala. It basically used my poor character to wipe its ass. I then farmed Seltas Queens until I got the Seltas Amour+. When I actually fought the Daimyo Hermitaur, I had that and a Full Blackguard.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 14, 2015, 02:27:11 pm »

was wondering if it's worth getting a 3DS because of MH4 since from what i've seen of the game it looks like a downgrade in graphics as opposed to MH3
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 95