Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160125 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #420 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:22 pm »

So the insect glaive thing could use a bit more info, you can build speed on the insect and then get stamina later to get the charge time down on it. The main difference is if you start stamina it will be blunt damage, if you start speed it will be cutting at the end.
Not quite. Each glaive is either blunt or cutting, and it doesn't change. For example, Leumundslist is going to be cutting all the way through, and Stealth Glaive will be blunt.

Have to say, the game developers are assholes. Have it start fully enraged? Seriously?
It's almost certainly too late for this to be relevant, but that only happens on the very first time you try that quest (when you first see the movie). So if you're really desperate, you could go in, abandon, and restart and he won't have the horns out.

Gore Magala tips:
-snip-
Good tips, not just for Gore but for pretty much anything. Keep in mind that to break him out of the horns mode, you have to do enough damage (any body part will work) but you also have to hit the head. Even a kick will do. source

Brachy Lance or Diablos Lance?
Diablos lance used to be the shit, but now that it doesn't have blast on awakening it's not as amazing. Go Brachy, but keep in mind blast damage was reduced.

Is there a list of rewards/unlocks for doing citizen quests (I don't have a better name for them, they're the ones where you talk to villagers with speech bubbles.) I want to know which ones are worth doing or not.
While I'm not sure whether EVERY single one is needed, you definitely need to do a few of those requests to get the caravan quests for guys like Akantor, Kushala Daora, Teostra, and Rajang. You definitely have to do every quest for Caravaneer's Challenge, which gives you the amazing rainbow pigment as well as a few awards for your guild card.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 09, 2015, 05:29:23 pm »

Gore Magala tips:
-snip-
Good tips, not just for Gore but for pretty much anything. Keep in mind that to break him out of the horns mode, you have to do enough damage (any body part will work) but you also have to hit the head. Even a kick will do. source
Hah, I didn't know that at all. Good to know.

Does Goldie work the same way? I think his rage form is when he becomes all shiny. It's really hard to tell because you have to spend the time fight dodging explosions.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:03 pm »

Zamtrios armor's probably your best bet for raw defense, plus with about 5 health gems you can get Health +50, which is basically another half a bar on top of normal health. You also get Carnivore, which means you can eat raw meat for stamina, and meat that's actually cooked has a chance of giving you unlimited stamina. Plus, ice attack +1, but that's less important. The only really bad side is that you get increased stamina loss, but a single hunger gem or, well, anything that can boost the hunger skill, can remedy that.

There's a lot of other armors that are potentially improvements on Jaggi armor. Zamtrios may not be the best for you.
Nothing important here, move along.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 09, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »

Tetsucabra armor may be a good choice, and even Velociprey (velocidrome, really, but whatever) armor is a step up IMO. Low rank monsters don't do enough damage for velociprey armor's low defense to matter. Plus you get attack up which can help.

But really, Tetsucabra armor is a good go-to

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 09, 2015, 08:58:07 pm »

Any armor with several armor spheres does become better.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »

Does Goldie work the same way? I think his rage form is when he becomes all shiny. It's really hard to tell because you have to spend the time fight dodging explosions.
Nah, if you're talking about Shagaru, I'm pretty sure the only monsters with that "do enough damage and knock them out of rage" are Zinogre's charge and Gore's feelers.

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:38 pm »

I think Goldie gets stronger the less hp he has honestly.

His explosions go from manageable to "WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING" the longer the fight goes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 09, 2015, 09:59:17 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:09:43 pm by penguinofhonor »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »

Am I the only one who just sets off the bombs by hitting them?

I kick them to set them off. Does that count?
We are men together.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 09, 2015, 11:17:10 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:09:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 10, 2015, 12:31:56 am »

I finally got it!  Damn, so much more stuff than MH1

At the same time it feels easier to get into.  Gathering is way easier and you tend to get more out of it, I don't think I'm gonna spend longer preparing for a fight than fighting anymore.  It also gets you into the action a lot faster, instead of spending five whole quests just teaching you how to pick shit up off the ground.

I went ahead and went with the longsword.  What do people suggest as far as upgrade paths, for somebody who's completely unfamiliar with 4U?  So far I'm going with the bone line, working on Canine Katana now.
Shoes...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 10, 2015, 12:44:02 am »

I went ahead and went with the longsword.  What do people suggest as far as upgrade paths, for somebody who's completely unfamiliar with 4U?  So far I'm going with the bone line, working on Canine Katana now.
Don't ask. Just play till you find the one you are most comfortable with. Its better just to level and play as you go other then building towards something as you can easily reach that peak later on...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 10, 2015, 12:53:36 am »

Gore, Brachy, and the Raths are almost always good choices when it comes to weapons.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 10, 2015, 01:57:46 am »

Looks like those are all on the iron line.  I like bone though, less katana-y and there's options for glaives which are way sweeter.

The other thing I like is the sheer number of monsters, especially large monsters.  What did Mh1 actually have in the way of monsters you go out specifically to kill?  The dromes, sort of (Cephadrome sure, that's a challenge, the preydromes on the other hand were even easier than great jaggi), Yian Kut-ku, Gypceros, Rathalos, Rathian, Plesioth, Basarios, and that's actually about it for things you can fight offline within a reasonable amount of time.  There was also Khezu, Gravios, fooblos, and the elders, but I don't really count them since some are impossible to fight and the rest are hard to unlock and not worth doing in a dead game.

I'm already fighting cool stuff and I've just started.  Just took down a seltas.

Also apparently monsters come in different sizes?  Does that have any actual (cosmetic or otherwise) effects or is it just a number?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:30:34 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 10, 2015, 02:41:26 am »

Yeah, size does matter as monsters can be noticeably different sizes. It's hard to tell at first but you'll see it more clearly as you get more experienced. You'll find yourself asking stuff like "why can't I reach this guy's tail?!"

Dios is on the Bone line. If you specifically don't want katana-style weapons, there are a few straight-edged claymore-like weapons like Zinogre (Usurper's Boltslicer) and polearm-like ones like Garuga (Daito Crow) and Dah'ren (Arbiter). There are certainly more but I can't come up with any others off the top of my head. The vast majority will be katana-y though so you'll definitely have to search around a bit more for the Western-type swords. Good call on the Bone line though, it seems there are more non-katana there than on the metal one at a glance. (probably because the metal one is literally already a katana... why did I not see that one coming)

I dunno what you're specifically after, but just take a look with the X button on the forging menus and if you like it, go for it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 95