Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160085 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #330 on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:38 pm »

There's almost no point in trying to farm low rank for items from what I've seen.

Your armour is practically tissue paper when you enter high. Even the rarest weapon you can get in low will be outclassed by something basic in high.

I was quite amused when I joined a group of randoms to do some HR4 hunts and promptly got two shotted by the fartmonkey. Now I'm dodging Seltas Queens in High Rank trying to farm up the updated version of my armour (though I replaced the legs with Tetsucabra Torso Ups as there isn't any other alternative). It can practically kill me in one hit if I'm unlucky. The stampede move is a guaranteed death when you only have 186 armour.

I don't really like the high rank Seltas Armour though... the elemental weaknesses are crazy high and you have -15 in stamina recovery. It's still the only thing that has artillery god and the sharpness thing though...

------------------

Edit: Even the palicos get upgraded in high rank. The new ones you recruit get better abilities and items. The only thing you might want to try and get before going into high rank is healing palicos as those get super rare.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:37 pm »

Well, armor only gets thinner once you hit G rank from what I've heard. Which wasn't too different from 3u anyway. It does pay off though. Leather armor in high rank means roughly losing a third of your hitpoints when a monster moves around. With armor that's scratch damage. Plus armor is mostly useful for the skills you get off of it. Glad I'm using my current set against the daimyo herimetaur.

I'd prolly get some high rank armor before hitting HR4 quests though. Or doing it with people you're co-ordinated with. Personally if I find I'm taking too much damage, I've at last farmed a set of lagombi armor to help me evade.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 05, 2015, 05:56:13 pm »

My 3DS is here, now all I need is the game >:o

EDIT:  I'm having fun with the demo.  It's so nice to be fighting new things, the original game's monster roster is painfully small compared to this.  The demo just has the great jaggi, tetsucabra, and gore magala, but that's already way fancier than what you get in MH1.

These felynes are driving me up the fucking wall though.

So how do people deal with 3d in this?  I've been keeping it off most of the time, it's almost impossible to keep it properly aligned without holding the game way out in front of you like some kind of lunatic.  They should market the 3ds XL as a posture aid.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:26:11 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 05, 2015, 07:36:56 pm »

Unless you have the New 3ds, the 3d suck balls and drains battery.

Anyways, I'm stuck in the weird limbo where I try to make all the things and not even in high rank yet. Next stop is gunlance.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2015, 07:41:05 pm »

I turn 3d on for cutscenes, then back off to play. If it's anything like 3U then disabling 3d uses the processing power/whatever on anti-aliasing instead. Unofrtunately you can't turn it off completely for an FPS boost, but the only time I've had FPS issues were when there was a monster corpse on the screen and another monster and the smaller monsters jumping around too, which is pretty rare.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »

The text lines are cute and heads up on when to jump can be useful, I probably wouldn't have guessed you could mount off tiny little ledges without them.

It's the constant meowing.
Shoes...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:22 pm »

I love the cats. Not really sure why they need to rename them. So much better than the stupid shakala.

My current cat duo skill launches then at the monster's face and they start to paw at it. So cute. Not sure what they do besides piss it off and make it thrash around.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2015, 08:20:51 pm »

It buys you time really. Does a little damage.

Between the three skills, the only one that's reliable is the heal + stamina horn. The others have a tendency to miss. The tank is almost useless except against super slow monsters.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2015, 08:26:17 pm »

I want to be fair to the Shakalaka, in that they were better than Felynes pre-3U, which only existed to pull the monsters away from you while you healed up.

Anyway, finally picked up Pink Rathian Armor, after getting absurd luck on picking up 2 Rathian Rubies after doing the High Rank Caravan for 2 Rathians 14 times, and I will agree that the majority of high level armors are used for skills, and not defense.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:39 pm »

I love the cats. Not really sure why they need to rename them. So much better than the stupid shakala.

My current cat duo skill launches then at the monster's face and they start to paw at it. So cute. Not sure what they do besides piss it off and make it thrash around.
The Monster no longer does major attacks, no big fireballs or such, just thrashing around. Kinda like if another player mounts, take that time to heal/sharpen...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:30 am »

I kinda like the stamina palicos. That they drain stamina from a monster and give it to you is so helpful. The unlimited stamina skill is also amazing for defense.

The best part is that everything you fight goes into fatigued mode so fast.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2015, 02:28:55 am »

Yeah, I like the palicos. I like them a lot more than the vegetable idiots from MH3.

I'm almost done with their achievements (aka, deploy each forte at least 10 times). Only launcher left. I have a pretty good idea of what each of them do:

1. Fighting:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Protection:

3. Support:

4. Healing:

5. Bombing:

6. Stealing:

7. Treasure:

8. Stamina:

I haven't used launcher yet, so no comment.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2015, 02:40:14 am »

Everyone keeps lauding stamina cats because of all the infinite stamina boosts, but I have only ever gotten negate stamina depletion when I wasn't doing anything stamina intensive, or just before the monster leaves the area so I enjoy no stamina drain for the whole 5 seconds it takes to chase them then stamina resumes. Am I just doing something wrong?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2015, 03:09:36 am »

So haven't seen this posted anywhere, but the new free DLC is now up and out, including such shinies like Zelda-themed weaponry.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:21 am »

Unless you have the New 3ds, the 3d suck balls and drains battery.

Anyways, I'm stuck in the weird limbo where I try to make all the things and not even in high rank yet. Next stop is gunlance.

I do have the new 3ds.  It might just be this game in particular, the way they do 3d gives it really low pixel density and that's hell on a lot of the visuals in a game this fancy.  Even if I do get the positioning right it might not be worth it for this game. 

The demo is a great example of what a demo should be.  It's a gameplay demonstration to let you make an informed decision on whether or not you want to play.  You get a full high level kit with any weapon type you want on a quick mission with some cool monsters.  I dunno how much I like hte bow now that I've played it, it's pretty hard to keep all the things you gotta do straight.  Same with the bowguns (and bowguns are impossible in 3d because you can't keep the reticle aligned properly).
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 95