Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160086 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #315 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »

In general I hear that more or less you out to be using the double phial swings and the full charge attacks more than the first as well. Second is mostly that stunning monsters gets harder as they build a resistance to them. A full phial charge slam with artillery god sounds like it will always knock a monster stunned no matter how resistant it gets.
Pretty sure the AAA combo does more damage than XAA or XA+XA+XA or dodge AA or just plain XA... the only weakness is that it's significantly longer. So people probably recommend that because it's easier to pull off.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 04, 2015, 02:34:25 pm »

In general I hear that more or less you out to be using the double phial swings and the full charge attacks more than the first as well. Second is mostly that stunning monsters gets harder as they build a resistance to them. A full phial charge slam with artillery god sounds like it will always knock a monster stunned no matter how resistant it gets.
Pretty sure the AAA combo does more damage than XAA or XA+XA+XA or dodge AA or just plain XA... the only weakness is that it's significantly longer. So people probably recommend that because it's easier to pull off.

the thing is that the first A hit is an inefficient use of your phials and if you wanted to do really heavy damage in the same time window you could just use X+A, (swaps to sword), X > X+A > X+A for 2 tier 3 A attacks plus another blast on that shield stab. The blasts from the 3rd A attack each deal twice the damage of the other blasts so it's worth 6 of those first A attacks for the same phial cost.

There are a LOT of different ways to combo stuff with the charge blade and going through a whole linear combo is not usually the best way to do things with them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:43:20 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 04, 2015, 05:16:50 pm »

I just got HR4 as well. Driiinks.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 04, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »

Did a test recording with my new setup to test sound levels and video quality. The sound cuts out weirdly for a second here and there, but I've fixed that issue. What do you think of the quality?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0JAStKNsg

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 04, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »

I can't stop using the Insect Glaive.............
I can't help it, I love jumping over the attacks. ^_^
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 04, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »

I can't stop using the Insect Glaive.............
I can't help it, I love jumping over the attacks. ^_^
I think it's the strongest weapon to have right now. Being able to jump at any time is massive. I'm saying this as someone who only uses charge blades haha. Also it can alternate between a ranged and a melee weapon. So good.

The very first high rank quest I joined was to deliver sootstone. Oh my god this quest is so much easier when there's 4 people doing it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 04, 2015, 11:20:27 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:03:00 pm by penguinofhonor »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 04, 2015, 11:23:00 pm »

there was a guy who also played Insect Glaive and mounted the monster way more than me, but he got thrown off every time.
Were people attacking the monster? If they attack it too much the mounted person gets knocked off.

Multiplayer is more enjoyable in general for me, partly because the monsters aren't aggro'd on me constantly (cats so useless).

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 04, 2015, 11:58:34 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:03:09 pm by penguinofhonor »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:26 am »

I give up. Chilling beak isn't dropping. 8% at the highest chance. Screw this.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 05, 2015, 01:37:29 am »

Well, it's an 8% wound head, 5% shiny drop, and 5% body carve (Only ever a quest reward at caravan 6 though).

Anyway, let's say you wounded the head, got a shiny and carved the body three times The chance that you'll get at least one is 1-(0.92*0.95*0.95) ~ 17%
Two shiny drops bring that to about 22%

That's still roughly 5 hunts though.

Did the math wrong
3 body carves comes to roughly 15%
Then 8% from the head break
and 5% from the shiny
so with at least one shiny 1-(85%*95%*92%) ~ 25.1% per hunt to get a chilling beak more or less. So about once every 4 hunts more or less.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:17:09 am by chaoticag »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 05, 2015, 04:40:24 am »

It wouldn't be Monster Hunter if you didn't have to farm things :P

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #328 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:52 am »

I'd just like to say if you're farming chilling beaks for the ceanataur set, be prepared to do some gemming, the full set doesn't actually have any full skills and you have to gem them in (it might have more partial skills then most sets have full skills, but still of note)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 05, 2015, 09:15:37 am »

The blademaster has sharpener and sharpness already. I can squeeze in psychic with all the slots plus a talisman. Probably use the gunner set for the precision.

Damn to get both I need 4 chilling beaks.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 95