Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160038 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:30 pm »

I only fought him once so my memory may be iffy, but using a lance stabbing upwards at his breast seemed to work if I remember correctly.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:13 pm »

Mounting his chest is very funny since it looks like you're wrestling it when it tries to shake you off.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »

There's a blue scar on his back that you can damage too.

The quest was awesome for me as it went like this:

> Guildmarm gives quest, says to bring plenty of antidotes. "Oh, I must be fighting another poison lizard thing."
> Go on quest, nothing unusual.
> Suddenly rock dragon.
> Suddenly no attacks hurt it.
> Suddenly laser beam.
> Try to run away, except there's no wagon.
> Check quest objectives. It says to kill the thing or die trying.
> Panic ensues as I run around in circles trying to find something to do.
> Come back to the arena to find rock dragon pretending to be a rock again.
> Use super combo attack and nuke the rock dragon to smithereens.
> MASSIVE SUCCESS!!!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:48 pm »

Najarala is like the most pointlessly huge monster ever. With anything but the bug staff, you'll always end up surrounded by its body.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:04 pm »

There's a little opening you can escape from, but you have to be quick. One time I was trapped in there with someone else with my switchaxe and I launched him outside so he wouldn't get hit XD

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:31 pm »

Najarala is like the most pointlessly huge monster ever. With anything but the bug staff, you'll always end up surrounded by its body.
Wait until you start going through the gathering hall upper ranks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Insect glaive is pretty amazing since if there is an enemy  that you don't want to go anywhere near(like the brute tigrex) you can just use the insect like a psudo ranged weapon, does decent damage too if you use the correct element against a monster. The brute tigrex fight I had essentially just kited and let the bug gnaw on it while it was enraged.

The hunting horn is actually good for solo now and is ALOT more beginner friendly compared to freedom unite since it both shows that you have the right combo and lists the combos in game. The self improvement skill lets your normal movement with the weapon drawn be halfway between running speed and sprinting speed, so you can just move out of the way of majority of attacks.

I also found a stun +10 talisman, so now that is my always use.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:16:11 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2015, 11:25:58 pm »

The hunting horn is actually good for solo now and is ALOT more beginner friendly compared to freedom unite since it both shows that you have the right combo and lists the combos in game. The self improvement skill lets your normal movement with the weapon drawn be halfway between running speed and sprinting speed, so you can just move out of the way of majority of attacks.
Oh? I couldn't find the Song List... I had to guess the notes for the songs that my Rock Guitar (its actually made of Rock) could play. Still kinda my strongest Phys attack weapon with just over 800dmg on it, great for fighting the big ones with them big heads ripe for the stunning...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2015, 12:02:39 am »

Hunting horn songs can be viewed in the same screen you view its stats and flavor text. Scrolling through eventually leads you to the songs page just like how you can see what ammo bowguns use. You can even access it from the 'equipment' page form the start menu for reference mid-hunt.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:01 am »

Hunting horn songs can be viewed in the same screen you view its stats and flavor text. Scrolling through eventually leads you to the songs page just like how you can see what ammo bowguns use. You can even access it from the 'equipment' page form the start menu for reference mid-hunt.
The ONLY place I never looked...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2015, 02:06:28 am »

I'm trying to craft the Tetsucabra S armor set for high rank, but I cant freaking find any Rhenoplos in high rank anymore. I'm reasonably sure I grassed every area while passing them on quests, and these dudes are nowhere to be found.

Btw, is anyone else finding the Insect Glaive to be slightly op? I was doing the Tetsucabra Hunt-A-Thon a few times, to get the materials for the high rank armor. Initially, I used the Ursupers Boltslicer (Longsword from Zinogre), because Tetsu is weak to ligthning. Not only was it nigh impossible to break the back of the dudes I killed, it also took quite a while to take them down. I usually had to follow them around 3-4 areas and finally killed them when they went to sleep.

On the third run, I went with the Stealth Glaive (Poison damage, from nerscylla). According to the stats, it does a bit less regular damage than the Boltslicer, so I expected the fights to take longer. I swear to Kirin, I took down each Tetsu in the area right where they spawned, in around 3-4 minutes, with breaking both their back and tusks without any difficulties whatsoever.

I dont know if it's the damage increase from the juices, the increased amount of hits or the fact that you can basically do the little "ride a monster"-minigame around 3 times with the Glaive, but it seems that they outperform most weapons in terms of raw damage. I had the same experience with Gore Magala. The fight was really hard with both the charge blade and the longsword. But the Glaive tore trough that guy like he was made from plastic.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2015, 02:33:34 am »

Could just be the Huntathon being easy. I went on a Najarala one and I broke 3 of their faces in literally 5 hits each using the Stealth Glaive Redux. Juices are a pretty sizable buff as well. I don't know exactly how much but it's probably less than 20%, closer to 10%.

It might also have a lower class modifier than LS, so while its displayed raw damage is lower, its actual true raw might be higher. I haven't memorized all the coefficients though.

And there are usually a few Rhenoplos at area 8 of Sunken Hollow, IIRC. Only place I could think of off the top of my head.

I'd be getting further in HR and/or caravan, but I keep getting distracted by my compulsion to make more weapons and finish every quest.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2015, 05:08:24 am »

And there are usually a few Rhenoplos at area 8 of Sunken Hollow, IIRC. Only place I could think of off the top of my head.
Or just do the 2Star Village quest all about killing the creatures...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2015, 05:08:32 am »

Missions with multiple bosses have them at 70% hp so they're easier to take down. The thing with your longsword and insect glaive power discrepancy is because you simply cannot compare the power numbers of different weapons you can only compare a longsword to another longsword. A weapon's real power is hidden behind a multiplier for no good reason as it has been in every game except tri.

Your Usurper's Boltslicer has 429 attack, being a LS which has a multiplier of 3.3 this means it actually has 130 attack, your stealth glaive has 403 attack and a 3.1 multiplier meaning it also has a true attack of 130. Your boltslicer only has 170 lightning which is very little compared to element-focused weapons and tetsu is actually pretty resistant to lightning anywhere except his face and fangs(he's actually weaker to water). Poison on the other hand is pretty strong and deals true damage over time, this damage varies from monster to monster but in general it is pretty useful against them all. Each individual attack/hit from a weapon has its own little multiplier so some moves hurt more than others and overall two weapons with the same true attack may not have the same damage output depending on how well their moves can be chained or how the player uses them.

TLDR: You simply can't compare one weapon class' numbers to another there are too many factors at play.

Edit: Looking at numbers Tetsu seems to be critically weak to poison and the Glaive is good at dealing multiple hits, insuring its quick application.

Edit2(i like numbers ><): Poison deals 300 damage to Tetsu over its duration of I think 1 minute. The glaive's attacks have multipliers ranging from 0.18 to 0.38 but most will average out around 0.25 on the stealth glaive that's 32.5 damage, if we consider green sharpness and always hitting the head(tetsu's weak spot) it would be dealing on average about 18 damage per hit, less when hitting elsewhere. As you can see, that poison is worth a lot of hits.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:36:50 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:49 am »

That doesnt help if i need HIGH RANK materials from them. They dont drop Carapaces on low rank quests, sadly.

And after reading the above, I guess you're right. It was just very noticeable because the time difference int aking them down was so massive.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2015, 05:52:38 am »

That doesnt help if i need HIGH RANK materials from them. They dont drop Carapaces on low rank quests, sadly.

And after reading the above, I guess you're right. It was just very noticeable because the time difference int aking them down was so massive.
Missed the point you were looking for the High Rank Materials. Sorry...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 95