Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160281 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #885 on: April 18, 2015, 04:21:10 pm »

The Fatalis CB opens its eye when you go into axe form.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 18, 2015, 04:23:28 pm »

The Fatalis CB opens its eye when you go into axe form.

*Glances both ways*

*Throws away Demolition C. Blade*

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:53 pm »

Just did GQ 140 Apex Sea Cucumber with 4 randoms.

Holy Jesus Christ in a handbasket is he hard. We knocked him out of Apex four times before he finally died. We sleepbombed, poison meated, trapped him three times, sleep bombed him again, and must have hit him with at least 18 wyvernfires from two artillery god gunlancers. Almost every single one of his attacks can one shot you even if you have 800 armor. You might as well go in naked and eat for moxie.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 19, 2015, 02:07:23 am »

Anyone got any tips for getting Lrg Elder Dragon Gems? I've been farming the caravan Chameleos but I'm getting a bit tired of him.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:39 am »

It might be time to plug this handy tool in, the Desire Sensor.

Looking it up, Chameleos has a 9% chance per hunt of drapping one, when you should be going for the Rust Kushala Daora at 15%, making you half again as likely to get it that way. People also keep mentioning the IRC so maybe you can team up with others that want to get their hands on it using the bay12 IRC? Misery loves company or so they say (Okay, I kid, I kid). I haven't fought chameleos yet, but the Kushy fight is a fun fight for me, I just make sure I bring my poison bug stick along to more or less shut its defenses down.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 19, 2015, 08:48:05 am »

Uhh... I don't recommend farming Rusted Kush if you can avoid it.

I usually get my gems from regular Kush. Teostra is pretty easy too but Teostra likes to smackdown scrubby noobs, which can make things quite difficult if they keep getting oneshot.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 19, 2015, 12:47:21 pm »

I finished a real HBG set. The one I was using before was just a crappy one I made of spare Chameleos parts. Now I'm running:
Recoil Down +2
Evasion +1
Evade Extender
Pierce Up
Trajectory

The DPS is pretty incredible. Trajectory is honestly a must have for gunners I think. It's a gigantic range increase. If anything it makes your pierce shots have a much better chance of all being critical distance.

The set is (relatively) easy to make too. If you want to get it, it's:

Grand Mutsu Jingasa
Zinogre Vest X
Grand Mutsu Kote
Vangis Coat X (or anything with Torso Inc)
Diablos Leggings X
-----------------
+4 Pierce Up OOO
-----------------
2x Precise Jewel 2
1x Evasion Jewel 1
1x Absorber Jewel 3
3x Jumping Jewel 2
1x Jumping Jewel 1
1x Precise Jewel 1

Could probably replace evasion +1 with something else since Trajectory makes close range evasion kind of silly.

Edit: Just solo-ed G-rank T. Najarala with this in 5 minutes. Christ, the DPS is insane.

Edit edit: Okay, this is crazy. I just purged the frenzy with two pierce2 shots on C. Magala. TWO. What kind of damage is this thing outputting?!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 20, 2015, 01:46:15 am »

Nice, what gun is that with? I was inspired by this and made my own set with Recoil Down +1, Load Up, Pierce Up, Evade Extender, and Earplugs. I used it with the Dahren gun (not even finished yet) and it was still really great. It destroyed both Gravios, both Seltas Queens, and Rathalos. This is with limiter still on, as I was with a group and I didn't want to give up the siege mode utility. It'd probably be better solo with it off.
+5 Loading OO seems pretty tough to get though.

Re: LEDGs, I'll probably show up in IRC once I sharpen my RL skills a bit more. And I kinda wanna play some lance, so I'll have to work on a few of those.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 20, 2015, 02:43:55 am »

Nice! I'm using the Destiny's Arm myself. Limiter off, honed for attack, long barrel.

I lucked out and got a conquest sphere on the first and only g-rank Akantor I fought. I think that's the hard part about that gun.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 20, 2015, 09:12:18 am »

Interested in finally getting into this series myself, but I have reservations.

I have a 3DSXL.  Not the "New" one.  Is this game even worth playing on that system?  I also don't have any add-on stick thing that I've heard about, and wouldn't plan on getting one.

Also, I tried the demo version, and it was both a bit overwhelming and underwhelming.
Overwhelming: So many things in menus and what the hell is it all supposed to do.
Underwhelming: Tried lance(r?) class.  Seemed like all I could do was a basic three thrust combo, and I couldn't turn while in said thrust combo.  Felt like I was trying to fight in a swamp made of molasses.  Was I just doing something wrong, or is combat movement not all that fluid?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:30 am »

Interested in finally getting into this series myself, but I have reservations.

I have a 3DSXL.  Not the "New" one.  Is this game even worth playing on that system?  I also don't have any add-on stick thing that I've heard about, and wouldn't plan on getting one.

Also, I tried the demo version, and it was both a bit overwhelming and underwhelming.
Overwhelming: So many things in menus and what the hell is it all supposed to do.
Underwhelming: Tried lance(r?) class.  Seemed like all I could do was a basic three thrust combo, and I couldn't turn while in said thrust combo.  Felt like I was trying to fight in a swamp made of molasses.  Was I just doing something wrong, or is combat movement not all that fluid?

Without a way of controlling camera it's iffy. You can get used to fighting by using the targeting system (just hit L to move the camera to face the monster you have targeted), but... it's iffy.

You can ignore most of the menus. There are a few that are important, like inventory. Apart from that, don't worry too much. The game does a decent job of introducing new elements as you go, and you can always ask friendly Bay12ers for help if you have a question (or just look it up on the wiki).

Some weapons allow you to adjust your aim mid-combo. Lances do not. They're a more tactical weapon. I would recommend trying a more beginner-friendly weapon, like sword and shield.

Overall, Monster Hunter is not like your typical action game. If you come into it expecting to be able to jam buttons and execute crazy-ass combos and whip around at a moment's notice, you're going to be unpleasantly surprised. Monster hunter is about preparation, timing, caution, and learning patterns. Oftentimes, you have to play by the monster's rules if you want to win.

It's different, and it's not for everyone. Nobody can definitively tell you if you'll like it or not. But if you're willing, give it a try. It's popular for a reason.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 20, 2015, 11:35:32 am »

The only reason Sword and Shield is beginner friendly is that the monsters in the beginning are small enough that its short reach does not matter.

Long sword, bug staff and switch axe are much more beginner friendly and will carry you farther. These weapons are fast, powerful and mobile enough that gameplay is very active.

Avoid the slow as molasses weapons like the lance, gunlance and great sword if you dislike the sluggishness of them.

Also, its better to treat this as a turn based game. Monster makes their move(attacks, roars, breath), then you make your move(dodge, attack, items).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 20, 2015, 12:16:13 pm »

The easiest comparison is that Monster Hunter uses the same methodological fighting system as Dark Souls.

So, less God of War superman. More, pathetic feeble regular human who has to pose after every action attempting to fight a giant dragon.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:03 pm »

I think you meant to say pause...
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 95