Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160191 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2015, 07:12:46 pm »

Don't forget at the start everyone refers to you as Hunter with the eyebrows.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 17, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »

Don't forget at the start everyone refers to you as Hunter with the eyebrows.

That's how I style myself in real life... hm.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 17, 2015, 08:05:10 pm »

Fighting the Brachydios now, jonesing for that explody sword.  He's pretty tough with greatsword though, short taunts and nasty punishes if you're not quick enough to hit him.  I don't really  know how I killed either of the ones I killed so far, it was like I was getting fucked up then suddenly he's dead.  Two ebonshells to finish the first upgrade, and then I've already got marrow for the next one.  The hammers should be the only hard part but I'm switching over to capturing now that I've got all the carves clear.

Any tips for fighting with a greatsword?  I mean I'm doing it but I don't feel like I"m doing it very well.
Shoes...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 17, 2015, 08:52:57 pm »

Greatsword is a very simple weapon. There are no magic combos that will make you amazing. It's simply about being patient and not getting too greedy. If you go in swinging, when a monster is fully mobile, you're asking to get hurt. Run around with weapon sheathed, observe, learn attack patterns. When you a find a decent opening, go in with an overhead. If the opening is large enough, charge it. If not, just get in the single swing and roll the hell away. Don't ever have your weapon out when it's not necessary. As soon as you're done attacking, you should be sheathing it again so you can run around and wait for more openings.

That said, there is one move you should definitely utilize: the super slam and followup super swing. I don't know if you know all the ways to access it, so I'll just list them here:
- A > A (keep hitting A after a basic roundslash). This one is not recommended because it requires you do to the roundslash first, which takes more time.
- Kick > X (sideslap) > Hold back on stick + X. This one is decent. If you don't want to hit the touchscreen for the kick, you can also kick by hitting R + X. Generally, use this one if you're already close to the monster.
- Dodge > X (sideslap) > Hold back on stick + X. This is my favorite; it allows you to go straight from a dodge into the sideslap, making it super fast to pull off and allowing you to close distance at the same time.

You'll know you're doing the super overhead right it right when your hunter swings his sword sort of diagonally as opposed to perfectly vertical.

The biggest perk of the super slam as opposed to regular charge (apart from it just doing more damage) is that you can hit X again after it to do a followup super swing which does just as much damage as the slam, effectively doubling(!) the punishment.

Generally, you should be using charge attacks and super slams most of the time. If you have time to follow up a basic overhead swing with a roundslash, you have enough time to pull off a full charge, which does far more damage.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:57:47 pm by Nighthawk »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 17, 2015, 08:56:15 pm »

Oops, I meant to say tips for fighting Brachydios with a greatsword.  i already know all that stuff.
Shoes...

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 17, 2015, 08:59:36 pm »

Any tips for fighting with a greatsword?  I mean I'm doing it but I don't feel like I"m doing it very well.

Make sure you have Focus and/or Crit Draw on your armor.

As for fighting a brachydios, you have to be even more careful. He moves around quite a bit, so wait for him to roar, lick his hands, dive bomb the ground, or any other openings you can see before hitting him. Also try to stay somewhat under him, as most of his attacks will go over your head

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 17, 2015, 09:01:10 pm »

I typed SO MUCH, man!

Well, whatever. As far as Brachy, I can't give you much. He moves fast, so use your block if you have to. When he goes into Michael Bay mode (you know what I mean) don't even try to attack him head on. Stay at his side and back, where he has to turn around to get a hit off, and be extra, extra careful. He'll do his crazy area of effect explosive BS when you least expect it. Again, blocking explosions is far better than trying to dodge and failing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 17, 2015, 09:09:16 pm »

I can't get focus or crit draw on my armor without a lucky talisman.  I guess until I get that stuff or figure out his moves more I'll go old school and just snipe him with draw attacks.

Aaaah!  Almost lost, managed to capture it with no cool drink on, got both hammers and almost enough mystery slime.  Of course, it also gave me only one of the two ebonshells I need so I'll have to kill it again but literally every weapon I've made in this game has been gated by a single item so that's no surprise.

It all works out, this last mission will hopefully give me enough mystery slime that I'll only need the HR gravios stuff to finish up the Dios+.  Tired of volcano though, real tired of volcano.

And it all works out.  I've got my dios blade and all I need for Dios+ is the gravios carapaces.  I'm looking pretty fly with my new sword, way nicer than the ugly-ass tigrex shit.  It's even worse than serpentblade, at least serpentblade kind of looks like a sword.

And it's still good advice!  One thing I'd add that isn't very obvious unless you're paying attention:  The 3x charges are time sensitive.  They only work if you let go right away, if you overcharge or wait to let go you only get the 2x.  YOu can tell by the effect of the swing, there's a bigger impact on 3x than 2x or overcharge.  I also think the round slash you get after super swing is 2x at most.  The full 3x-slap-3x-sideslash is still a ridiculous combo if you can pull it off on something.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:42:22 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 18, 2015, 01:11:40 am »

So G-rank has something about throwing frenzied or Apex Rajangs my way.  Constantly.  I'm starting to think the game hates me.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 18, 2015, 03:05:07 am »

Okay, Tidal Najarala has GOT to be one of the most unfun monsters I've ever fought. He snipes you with perfect goddamn accuracy with his water blasts that miraculously target you whenever they ricochet off of something, then rips you apart with his shitty hitboxes while you're low on stamina. How am I supposed to beat this asshole?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 18, 2015, 03:17:59 am »

Eh, yeah, the Najarala. Forgot about that bastard. Probably the only monster I hate so far. I seriously don't want to know what a frenzied subspecies is like.

Rajang.. can't wait to go against it, tbh. I want some personal experience so I can check it versus the one I made into the DF MH mod. (By the way, the mod is not dead, just progressing slowly. Not enough free time to make real progress on gaits [also why I'm still only after the monoblos urgent despite a week having passed])
(In)famous monsters are the best to fight. Usually. Some are a b***h.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 18, 2015, 11:54:12 am »

I thought Narajala is pretty much designed to be mounted.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2015, 12:01:46 pm »

Behold my amazing luck.

Kill S. Magala an infinity amount of times = 0 gems

Kill Daimyo Hermitaur G-rank once = 3 gems and 1 gem for Monoblos (wat)

Clearly the game wants me to be a football player now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:20 pm »

I thought Narajala is pretty much designed to be mounted.

Yeah, I can't think of many other ways to get it. Too annoying.
For Najarala, I just used my version of a fighting style utilised by Brick of Borderlands. It's called "punch you in the face until you die", but I removed the 'in the face' part, and substitute 'attack' for 'punch'. In other terms: Just brutally attack it wherever I can in whatever way possible without any regards for hitzones, so long as I don't bounce. Also, if it starts wrapping around me, I try to escape, because that dig attack has insane damage.

Besides, it's not like it's easy to hit Najarala anywhere BUT the body or tail. And I believe I bounced off the tail.
I also tried to go for a headbreak once. It died before it happened, and I just kept bouncing with my CB. Or was it a switchaxe? Dunno, but it was definitely an axe with long reach.

---New post while I was writing:
Yeah, I'm using the Daimyo HR set now. I was going to skip it, but that Defence (L) is useful in HR, and the Guard+2 I could get on it made me use SnS, which is also terribly effective (fore offence, because for defence I use evade 90% of the time)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 18, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »

Behold my amazing luck.

Kill S. Magala an infinity amount of times = 0 gems

Kill Daimyo Hermitaur G-rank once = 3 gems and 1 gem for Monoblos (wat)

Clearly the game wants me to be a football player now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hermitaur armor is best armor.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 95