Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160159 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #555 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:58 am »

Also, Tigrex loves to run around and exhaust himself. If you keep your weapon sheathed and dodge enough, he should tire himself out pretty reliably, giving you opportunities to attack safely.

Frenzied Tigrex is sure to have a bit more energy, though, some I'm not sure how helpful this advice will be in your case.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:50 am »

Frenzied Brachy is probably the most frustrating monster I encountered yet. Those warp-speed curving charges followed by a horn blast are deadly.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 16, 2015, 09:17:49 am »

I find there's no real point to waiting for Tigrex to exhaust himself. He does it often, but he also goes into rage form often too. So what you'll find is that he gets tired for about a minute before going crazy again.

I normally just follow him around with weapon out ready to block or dodge. When there's an opportunity I unleash ultra burst and he goes splat. Also he has this charge move where he bounces around the map like a bumper car. It's perfect for guard points, especially with the Charge Blade as a guard point charged shield can KO monsters.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 16, 2015, 10:28:41 am »

guard point
I'm still trying to master this technique. It's really difficult to use the end-of-morph-to-sword guard point especially. I'm okay at the beginning-of-morph-to-axe one. Except when doing it without first pulling off a sword swing. Then I fail every time.

How to shot web guard point without sucking?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 16, 2015, 11:33:33 am »

The only reliable one is the regular attack into axe form. (X into RX) The guard point for this lasts forever as if you're anywhere between the end of the attack and the end of the switch, you will autoguard.

I think there's two others but they're pretty unreliable. There's one when you go from axe into sword. It's right at the end of the animation.

There's another one when you just spam your regular X attacks in sword form. I think it's at the end.

Both of those are hard to pull of as they seem to last like a milisecond.

Basically when you fight against Tigrex or S. Magala where you know he's going to ram you head first, you wait for him to charge you then you press X into RX. If he rams you during that time you will guard point. If you have charge shield, he will take KO damage.

For the others, they're basically there for when you're wailing on a monster. That way you're just hoping to get lucky and catch one of the random unseen attacks in a guard point.

When you get good at it you look super badass. You will be standing there while everyone else GTFOs and tank the monster's charge like a boss. Then you immediately counter the charge with an ultra burst.

Here's some example combos:

X > RX > A > R > Dodge away!!! This has both guard points and the burst from the second A attack. It's fantastic for doing damage and getting out. It's also really fast.

X > RX > R > Dodge away!!! This is a super safe combo. Less damage, but it's almost impossible to get hit while doing this. Super fast and it should be what you're using when you have no clue what you're fighting or have about 2 seconds to attack.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 16, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »

I think there's autoguard when doing one of the combos too, not sure if it's charge A - X or normal X combo.

As for frenzy Tigrex/S. Magala: Yeah, they were tough. Especially the Tigrex. That thing got me bad with its quick turns. Still, it's just like any other monster. Go after it a few times and you'll learn it and it'll be easy.

My latest surprise was the frenzy Brachy. That speed increase is no joke and it even affects the slime.

I'm loving the frenzy effects though, really. It just gives such a nice feeling when you've got the upper hand, then the monster stands up after a short rest and suddenly becomes stronger and especially faster, making you feel like you're way too slow for it. Then you slowly adapt (or don't) and get a real sense of achievement.

I've just beaten my first Monoblos btw. Even more annoying and dangerous than the Diablos. Rage speed is insane, I can't even imagine what it's like in frenzy.
----
Also, I've recently started using SnS instead of Charge Blade. It's actually very effective, even on S. Magala (been farming it to upgrade my Magala CB, but it just ain't giving plate and even tail carve keeps giving scale instead of tail). It might be worth a try, the added speed might be what you're missing on CB.
Keeping 1-2 other weapon types in general is a good idea. Sometimes that change in the patterns or reach or whatever is actually an insane difference.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 16, 2015, 12:36:59 pm »

On the subject of annoying monsters, Khezu is surprisingly difficult. He moves so sluggishly on the ground that he seems practically static (no pun intended), but some of his attacks get like a half-second tell before he slams you in the face. And that thunderblight... ugh. I've been KO'd simply because I accidentally got hit by one lightning ball, dizzied, hit by a SECOND one, stunned, and then he just tackled me dead as I was getting up.

He's tough to predict and a real pain in the butt if you're not really careful.

Edit: Also, Monster Hunter, why you force me to make second set of armor to use ranged weapon?!
Seriously, why don't they just let you use the same armor but halve your defense and change a few skills when you equip a ranged weapon? It would accomplish the same thing!
And don't say, "to force you to grind more." I know that already.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:45:00 pm by Nighthawk »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:52 pm »

A lot of Monster Hunter seems to be designed like this:

"We know you hate it, so have more of it MWAHAHAHAHAHA"

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 16, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »

I like new armors as much as the next guy. Heck, that's one of the main reasons I continue to play MH. But making an entirely new set just so I can effectively switch between ranged and melee styles? Now I see why people like the glaive.

You know, as long as they're adding crazy hybrid weapons like the glaive (which is already sort of a melee-ranged hybrid (with a melee focus)) can I have a bow that transforms into a greatsword so I can poke monsters from a distance with sleep element until they take a nap and then rudely awaken them with a smash for ludicrous damage?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 16, 2015, 01:18:24 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:32:22 pm by penguinofhonor »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:17 pm »

S. Magala wasn't high rank.

The high rank S. Magala is in HR7.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 16, 2015, 01:23:13 pm »

Look at all these 6 star frenzy hunts. Look at this 7 star urgent that has half the reward. Should be easier right?

HAHA WRONG!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 16, 2015, 01:49:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:32:28 pm by penguinofhonor »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:43 pm »

Yeah, you can't get high rank drops from the S. Magala fight. It's just the boss fight for low rank offline. When you do the villager requests that are inside Caravan 6, usually the first in the chain is low rank. IIRC it's like capture a Seltas or things like that.

Caravan 6 is just there for misc challenges. When you get into G rank the G-rank-ish challenges go into Caravan 10.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:04 pm »

Soloing the G rank Tigrex + Azure Rathalos hunt, one cart away from failing, in HR armor, and just 2 minutes and 20 seconds to spare.

My heart.
yep, I know your pain. I ended via subquest several times after the 2nd cart before I finally managed to cap both of them.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 95