Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159912 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 02:33:19 am »

My only complaint... I SWEAR I clicked the "No I don't need tutorials" part at character creation yet STILL had to sit through the tutorial text. I don't mind doing the quests but please, I don't need 15 text boxes that take 2.5secs just to get rid of...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 02:36:45 am »

My only complaint... I SWEAR I clicked the "No I don't need tutorials" part at character creation yet STILL had to sit through the tutorial text. I don't mind doing the quests but please, I don't need 15 text boxes that take 2.5secs just to get rid of...

The Monster Hunter Experience™
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 02:53:09 am »

I decided to have them turned on just in case. Last thing I want is to miss some tiny crucial detail, since there's been enough mechanical change going on that I'm not really confident that I'll catch everything. Field pouch is a nice edition.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:03 am »

Why are you guys saying it's better than 3U, by the way?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 03:49:00 am »

Ugh, Sushifish SOS... WTF Where!!!

EDIT:: Nevermind... Found the fuckers. Only other spot in the whole map...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:00:24 am by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:50 am »

Be careful when you get to the nerscylla. It's like a fucking DBZ character.

"That wasn't my ultimate move. THIS IS MY ULTIMATE MOVE."

"I LIED THAT WASN'T MY ULTIMATE MOVE! THISSSSS IS MY ULTIMATE MOVE!"

Most of them are telegraphed, but then there's "180 noscope web sniping" and crap.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 06:38:32 am »

Well, 4U did improve on a lot of things from 3U, but there are still some things that could've been better. I don't know who a Capcom worked on the camera on this one but he probably never played a videogame with one or something. For some reason they decided that the camera should only be allowed to move in one direction at once, horizontal or vertical, no diagonals. This might not be quite as noticeable if you use the D-pad to control it, but with the circle pad pro's second analog stick/circle it feels extremely clunky. Overall letting us fine-tune the vertical position of the camera was nice, but with the really uneven terrain and monsters moving so much and going from the floor to the ceiling all the time, the camera really needs to be allowed to move both ways at once. People who use the lock on camera system may not have as much trouble, but I never liked or used the thing much.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:49:16 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:42 am »

Lack of underwater fights for me makes the game better. Those fights just didn't feel as fleshed out as the over land fights.
There's also some verticality added into the mix, as well as mounting monsters and stabbing them repeatedly, which seems like a better gimmick to me. Fairly short, changes pace for a bit if you pull it off, and doesn't overstay its welcome. Which, well, spending five minutes underwater fighting things while working with the camera and all the distractions underwater makes climbing all that better for me.

Other than that, more weapons, some extra combos (imagine my surprise as I found out that you can launch yourself with the lance), and some extra armor sets courtesy of the extra monsters. My early game goal more or less became grabbing the veloci-thingy armor. A friend of mine said I'd have to hunt it over and over, but I farmed the High Rank Pink Rathian for an armor set in the last game, so I doubt it's all that bad.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 10:51:41 am »

All kinds of things make it better than 3U. Just off the top of my head:
  • Smoother combat for existing weapons. There are a lot more moves you do out of rolls. New combo finishers. Remember that switch axe infinite combo that took stamina? Now you can do a strong double hit out of it. Remember the strong charge from GS? You can do a round slash after it that does more damage based on the charge before it. Remember how the gunlance started unloaded with shells? Now your hunter remembers to actually load it before departure.
  • The two new weapons, Insect Glaive and Charge Blade, offer new and interesting playstyles. Stealing essences/juices/whatever they're called using the bug, charging up the shield and doing one of those ultra bursts, the smooth flow of the sword mode's combos, jumping at will... all kinds of neat stuff.
  • Many new monsters. The lone Snake Wyvern Najarala, the spider Nerscylla, that dumb frog Tetsucabra... and this is before elder dragons and more important bosses.
  • Returning old monsters from the lowly Kut-ku to the Fatalis. Big big nostalgia hit here.
  • Even if your favorite monster isn't back, you can most likely trade with the Wyvern Wholesaler to get its parts for weapons and/or armor. Barroth, Nargacuga, even Amatsumagatsuchi.
  • The whole verticality thing and associated changes. Jumping off ledges, mounting and shanking monsters, climbing is much faster, landing is much smoother, areas are much more interesting with the whole vertical aspect.
  • Much more endgame content thanks to guild quests, or randomized quests set on a random map. The strength of these monsters can even go up to higher than G-rank levels. As rewards, you can get fancy random-generated weapons and armor with variable stats and looks. Those can be really awesome or terrible. Back in 4 the weapons were basically the best of the best, but with more G-rank crafted items in G/U it's closer.
  • No more locked charm tables!!!! You can even reroll bad talismans later.
  • The return of Felynes as allies. This can be a plus or a minus depending on what you thought of Cha-cha and Kayamba.
I have studied long and hard through my hype.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 11:12:58 am »

No more locked charm tables!!!! You can even reroll bad talismans later.
Tell me more. I mean... is there now a purpose to collecting seemingly useless charms now? I had dozens of charms in 3u "just in case" but I only ever used two of them throughout my entire playthrough.
For those unfamiliar, 3u had 12 or so different charm tables (two of them were basically filled with trash and considered 'unlucky' or something) that were basically big lists of every pre-set charm you could obtain for your character and were set in stone upon character creation. Charms weren't randomly generated, but rather randomly (sort of) selected from your character's charm table.

The return of Felynes as allies. This can be a plus or a minus depending on what you thought of Cha-cha and Kayamba.
MH3U was my first entry in the series so I had a bit of attachment to those guys. However the fact that you can sort of customize your palico (as felyne hunting companions are now called) is a nice change. There's also something about getting palicos from other players so they can go around with the palico you've made if they want. Mine is pretty vanilla because I didn't like the way they implemented the luminosity/hue selector thingy; anything but pure white (the 'reset' option) looks... off.

EDIT: oh look, yet again the new location of the power switch screws me over.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:06:32 pm by OzyTheSage »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 11:37:18 am »

According to Gaijin Hunter, it's at the village after Gravios (Shinato in Japanese, Cathar in English). You give a guy 3 charms and some crystal thingies (dunno what the deal with those is) and get somewhere between 3-7 out on the best option.

Looks like you'll only really want to collect a lot of the higher-rarity ones. You could reroll the low stuff like Pawns and Bishops, but that'd only give you Pawns and Bishops back.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 03:31:08 pm »

Does the charm table still require making the character at a certain time lest you me cursed?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 03:33:11 pm »

No, it's every time you load the game I think. Definitely not locked.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »

Just about to leave Val Harbour for the first time...

Also. Any Gunners out there able to suggest any good armour and stuff to effectively fight? I have always used Melee weapons. But with the new "Lock on" methods I think Gunning might be possible now...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 10:57:01 pm »

Never use lock on with a gunner for the purpose of shooting. Using it for a quick snap at their position maybe. As a gunner, you really have to aim at those weak spots to do damage. Especially for bowguns due to limited ammo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95