Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 159910 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter Generations is out!
« Reply #1260 on: July 19, 2016, 11:45:17 am »

Pretty much. The only style which somewhat encourages axe mode is Adept, from what I've heard.

I'm not too upset about a little unbalance, though. As long as all the weapons are viable, I'll play whatever I find fun to play.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 19, 2016, 11:47:13 am »

I like the dodge-attack for axe mode better than the sword mode one, but other than that there's no particular reason to be in the axe mode.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 19, 2016, 02:14:28 pm »

I think the devs' thought process was something like this:

Dev 1: "Hey, Switchaxe is a pretty aggressive weapon. We should give it some Hunter Arts to encourage that aggression."
Dev 2: "Sword mode gives pretty amazing DPS. How about we make arts that let people stay in sword mode as long as they keep hitting?"
Dev 1: "That's great! And easy to implement, too!"
Devs 1 and 2: *High five*

My theory is that it sounded good on paper, but in reality it was completely and utterly broken. Why they didn't nerf it during playtesting, I have no idea.

Edit - Then again, they also buffed SnS massively with oils, which was completely unnecessary, considering it was already a solid weapon with great elemental and status damage and good survivability. Seriously - playing with a friend who uses Switchaxe and SnS as two of his main weapons, I sometimes feel like I'm not contributing much at all. I work for ages trying to break a part or cut a tail, and he just comes in with destroyer oil and esplodes everything. Then he stuns the monster with his sword.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I guess? Maybe I should invest in a sword and shield.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:22:03 pm by Nighthawk »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 19, 2016, 04:50:24 pm »

Are you telling me that SnS can just oil up and smash face?  :o

Urge to buy game, rising.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 19, 2016, 06:20:24 pm »

Are you telling me that SnS can just oil up and smash face?  :o

Urge to buy game, rising.
Yeah, SnS is really good now.

It's always been a fantastic weapon, just slow to kill. Now it's just fantastic in general.

In 4U when I got to grinding the highest level of guild monsters, I only ever used SnS and HBG. I couldn't use anything else against the craziness of that tier.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 19, 2016, 08:50:24 pm »

I do like SnS as it is but I was going for a lube joke but didn't go all the way.

Still going to be playing 4U for a good long while, till I get my siblings on playing it as well. Not going so well since I can't find the time to play it myself. Plus that big question of "get armor and weapon first or kill them for armor and weapons?"

Because trying to use the base tigrex bow and mixed HR kut-ku set for marathon runner and expert, to kill both rathlos and tigrex isn't looking too much of a good idea.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 20, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »

Just fought the Fated Four (MHGen's four flagship monster's, if you don't know). They're pretty cool, and they each have their own nifty battle theme, too.

I was pretty impressed with all of them, aside from Gammoth, who was just a giant punching bag that occasionally throws out massive AOE attacks. Astalos is really, really cool. It's like Seregios and Zinogre had a badass baby. Glavenus is a giant sword-tail T-Rex, so... 'nuff said. Mizutsune, affectionately known to me as "Bubbles," is okay. A bit evasive and annoying, but the monster design is super cool.

Edit - Also, Astalos armor glows. Glorious.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:43:35 pm by Nighthawk »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 20, 2016, 04:25:47 pm »

Astalos armor looks particularly great with the rainbow pigment.

It's almost mesmerising. It'd be distracting if I wasn't so focused on not having my face eaten by giant monsters.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 21, 2016, 04:40:18 pm »

Just completed my HR7 Nakarkos urgent.
So much more enjoyable than Dalamadur, both fight- and music-wise.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 28, 2016, 06:08:05 pm »

In 4U, is it possible to get 2 Ruby Basarios wings without completing "Ore D'oeuvre"? I need a couple for the Verdant Slasher dual blades, but I can't find any Ruby Basarios-es without beating a high-rank multiplayer quest.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 28, 2016, 06:23:18 pm »

I can't get said guild quest without finishing the aforementioned high-rank gathering hall quest, which is necessary to unlock Ruby Basarios-es in the Everwood :v

Ah, never mind, though. I can wait until I start slogging my way through multiplayer.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 30, 2016, 07:52:49 pm »

After some time with the game, what are your thoughts on it compared to previous MH games? I'm currently trying to decide which games to grab on a limited budget.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 30, 2016, 08:13:19 pm »

In my opinion, it's better than 4U. I only played 4U and Generations so I can't compare with past games, but I like it more. The hunting styles add even more variety to the weapons, and specific styles with a weapon might be more interesting than with Guild and make you branch out; before Gen, I didn't touch Light Bowgun, Switchaxe, or Sword and Shield. The upgrade system is better too; you don't always need specific parts or ores so it cuts down on the grinding.

I will note it is also somewhat easier than 4U. Monsters die quicker- probably a result of never having to deal with Hunting Styles or Arts before- which is a positive and a negative. It makes grinding quicker and lets you get in a quick hunt on a commute or when you have ~ten minutes, but it's not quite as challenging. Keep in mind I'm only in Low Rank on Generations and got just barely in High Rank in 4U so I don't know if it spikes later.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 30, 2016, 09:33:38 pm »

Ok, so I caved in after learning there won't be a G release of generations and grabbed it. It's currently downloading. See you in game soon :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 30, 2016, 09:44:31 pm »

It's awesome. I love the changes to the crafting and upgrading system, and the Hunting Styles add enough variety that I don't get buttmad as soon as I see two people with the same class of weapon. I't heavy on the nostalgia for people who have deep experience with the series.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95