Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160342 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #1110 on: November 22, 2015, 11:15:32 am »

So apparently there will be a English UI mod available for the game on release. Nice.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 22, 2015, 11:29:36 am »

What do you mean a UI 'mod'. Do you mean for an emulator? For a japanese 3ds? How would that even work?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 22, 2015, 01:02:35 pm »

If you jailbroke / hacked the 3DS in some way, you can load roms. So basically you can mod that rom with English UI and then play it that way.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 22, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »

So i got a 2DS (hey it was really cheap and lets me play 3ds games and the 3d feature on my friends 3ds gives me a headache after about an hour) and this was the first game i got. I played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on my PSP way back when and I adapted well to the whole thing.
Other then HARVEST EVERYTHING in the beginning, any other tips for a noob?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 22, 2015, 02:33:28 pm »

Go through the training hunts as soon as you get them, to find some weapon types you like.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 22, 2015, 03:10:05 pm »

wait, since when does MH4U have training hunts?
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 22, 2015, 03:11:21 pm »

The 1-star weapon training hunts against a Great Jaggi. The objective is "Hunt a Great Jaggi", so I called them hunts.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 22, 2015, 10:27:49 pm »

It also gives you a bunch of useful stuff like potions and meats. Always handy.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 22, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »

2ds isn't bad, it's just not ideal. I originally played on a 2ds until I played on a 3dsxl screen. The size of the screen really does matter. Plus you get 60fps more consistently with a n3ds.

Find a weapon you like and stick with it, at least for a while. If you go with multiple different weapons you might be slowed down a fair bit trying to upgrade all of them simultaneously.

Learn the maps. You should be able to navigate your way to anywhere from anywhere on any map. By the time you reach high rank you want to have all the maps memorized, so don't worry about doing it all at once.

Since you have already played a MH game before this stuff should be obvious, but you'll want to be patient, both when hunting and trying to progress. It may even be worth your time to do a few Gathering Hall quests (online, or solo if you don't feel like playing online) just to upgrade your canteen/ingredients.

Never go on a quest without eating. Even having sautéd fish+dairy before a gathering quest will grant you some gathering related buffs, along with increasing stamina at the start of the quest without using steaks or energy drinks. Eating before a hunting quest will also grant health and various buffs depending on the combination of food you eat and the preparation method. Eventually you'll learn what combinations grant certain buffs.

Change settings in the options menu, there may be some settings in there that you'd prefer not having default (instant dialogue messages), for example you might want to change some of the gunner related things if you're a gunner. Personally I like having "orientation" set to type 2, which makes certain things easier and more consistent if you can get used to it.

Abuse the wycoon as soon as he's unlocked, he replaces the farm from previous generations and can do a bit more.

Talk to eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverybody who has a yellow speech bubble above their heads.

Just about everything you need to know to beat the game is discussed by NPCs, sometimes as subtle hints. Of course, you could always research online.

Mounting is a large part of this game. If you're playing online and somebody mounts a monster you'll want to stop attacking it or you'll accidentally knock the hunter off. If you're climbing a wall you can press A to jump off of it (If you do this near a canopy you can grab the canopy above you and climb up), or press B to drop straight down. After pressing B hitting X will cause you to do aerial attack from the wall. If you use a weapon with a forward dodge roll you can quickly grab onto a climbable wall by rolling into it and pressing A, instantly sheathing your weapon in the process.

A lot of people get confused about this so I'll explain it now. Eventually you'll have the ability to get multiple cats. You have the Ace Palico (the cat you customized at character creation) and then sub palicoes. You can have 5 first-stringers and you're able to take one of them with you on hunts, but you must have the Ace with you. It's either no cats, Ace, or Ace + sub. By default the ace palico has the 'leadership' forte, but depending on the fortes of your first-stringers he will gain different skills during a hunt. For example, he can blow a healing horn if you have two healing first-stringers, and blow a demon horn if you have two attack first-stringers. If you have two healing and two attack first-stringers then he can blow both a healing and a demon horn. Having more first-stringers of a certain forte will enable more skills of that kind to be used. Finally, the sub palico you bring doesn't have to be the same forte as the first-stringers giving the Ace his skills, so you can have 4 attack first stringers and bring a defense sub with you, and the Ace will get the attack skills from the other cats.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 22, 2015, 10:44:54 pm »

Thanks for the advice, guys. Also, I may pick up a 3DSXL during black friday if I can find one cheap enough. I'll probably repack my 2DS for my nephew.

I was a fan of the greatsword; I was good at timing back in the day so I hunted my first Tigrex with one. Yeah, and that things pretty speedy.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 22, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »

If you're planning on getting a 3dsxl spend a bit more and get the N3dsXL. Better performance, better framerate, and some features like a built in CPP via C-nub.

Greatsword's not only awesome, but it's awesomer. It's got the super charge now =D

I think the only 'underperforming' weapon in 4u is the hammer, and even then it's not a bad weapon. Charge Blade is probably the most 'overpowered' weapon.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 22, 2015, 11:07:21 pm »

In reality, all weapons are viable. But I do like my switchaxe lots.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 22, 2015, 11:37:38 pm »

I'd love to rant about how I love X weapon and it's obviously the best, but honestly? The best advice to give is try every weapon.

I played through the entirety of MH4U with Greatsword and Charge Blade, and only recently tried out an Arena hunt with Sword and Shield.
And I absolutely love it. It's one of my favorite weapons now.

So, yeah. Make sure you give a bit of time to trying every weapon, or you might miss one that you really enjoy.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 26, 2015, 07:25:11 pm »

Apparently the translation will be ready tomorrow.

Here are the screenshots in progress: https://imgur.com/a/l6hYW

Pretty hyped, but rumours say there is no G-rank... which makes me kinda sad.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 26, 2015, 07:32:49 pm »

Well, G-Rank is generally added in the updated re-release. The original Monster Hunter 4 didn't have G-Rank.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 95