Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 95

Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations is out!  (Read 160322 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
« Reply #1050 on: May 31, 2015, 02:34:13 pm »

Yeah, 0:49 looks like SNS, 1:27 is probably greatsword. I originally thought the spin2win move against Kecha Wacha was SnS, but it was actually DBs.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 31, 2015, 02:47:31 pm »

MHX better come to the US, especially after MH4U being such a large success.
Almost certainly will. Though I will be trying out the JP version when it comes out later this year.

I won't understand anything though...

Edit: Here's a link courtesy of Reddit showing all the special attacks with their corresponding weapon so you don't need to guess: http://www.gfycat.com/ThiefZero/mhx_styles

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 31, 2015, 09:00:24 pm »

I AM HAPPY THAT BRACHADIOS-SEMPAI IS IN IT
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 31, 2015, 09:31:04 pm »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 03, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »

New video from Gaijin Hunter going over a Japanese game magazine article that just came out. I'm only 3 minutes in but I figured I'd share for those who have foolishly not subscribed to him yet.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 04, 2015, 08:49:48 am »

New video from Gaijin Hunter going over a Japanese game magazine article that just came out. I'm only 3 minutes in but I figured I'd share for those who have foolishly not subscribed to him yet.
Was about to mention this here, looks like you beat me to the punch.

I'm pretty hyped for BubbleBlight. :P

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 04, 2015, 09:02:59 am »

I really like the seregios-looking guy, but that's probably just because I really like green (can't wait to see his armor set).

I do wonder what the bubble blight stuff is, in the video it looked like some kind of confusion (actually it looked more like the guy started spazzing out, even more than when you get paralyzed). I wonder if we'll get it on our weapons like when they introduced Slime (now called Blast), it would be silly if we couldn't.

Thing to note: there will be four movesets/styles total: Legacy, Aerial, Technical, and Special. Someone asked me the other day if Special was the only one where you got special attacks, but it just means that the moveset has a bigger focus on using them. Legacy moveset is interesting by itself because it means all the weapons/"styles" we have right now are getting something new added in before you even consider the other three styles, we just don't quite know what it will be yet (Gaijin Hunter thinks it'll be something like Honing weapons is right now).

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 05, 2015, 01:32:33 am »

Aerial Hammer sounds like it will be cool. Do you think the Technical Insect Glaive will have more focus on actually using the bug for more than buffs?
Got to try all the Styles once it comes out.

I just made HR 5 in Guild in the current game. I ended up going from Velocidrome armor to Velocidrome+ armor. With an attack+4 talisman and two Attack Jewel 2 gems for Attack Up XL at exactly 25. Still primarily using the Charge Blade (Full Blackguard right now), but I've branched out into using the Glaive and Lance a bit.
Also today I found a rustshard-only lance. Not one of those ones that needs polishing. An honest to goodness Undertaker (the other option when upgrading it looked better but I didn't have the materials).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 05, 2015, 01:50:45 am »

When you get to G rank you'll have so many Worn weapons (better than rusted) that you won't know what to do with them all... except sell them.

I didn't know the kushala lance was made from a rusted one instead of a worn one, why would they do that? I get way more ancient shards than I do rust shards. (Just checked, looks like I have two rusted lances anyways so I can make them no problem if I wanted to)

I also managed to get a set with evasion +3, and it's pretty damn amazing with lance.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:52:20 am by OzyTheSage »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 05, 2015, 02:37:52 am »

All kushala weapons minus a few seem to be made from rust shards. So the Greatsword, SnS, hammer and so on.  Meanwhile Teostra weapons are made with worn shatds usually. I know that at least 2 weapons are the exception to the rule, other than the kushala and teostra weapons that can be made.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 05, 2015, 06:00:12 am »

SA, as far as I know, has no rusted anything. Only worn.
Alright, looking it up, but the longsword, switch axe, dual blades, hunting horn, and gunlance have no rusted versions. So looks like about half the weapons here don't have rusted versions, excluding gunner weapons. So yeah, never caught on since I don't use any of those weapons minus the dual blades.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:48 pm »

I hit that plateau where you can't progress easily by yourself without ridiculous grinding for specific armors or actually putting effort into my equipment. Which I suck at because I'll forget to reequip my polished gauntlets that have that damn box around them that makes me think I have them shits equipped. Just unlocked the second half of the HR5 guild quests, and cleared all but 6 and 10 so far in the Caravan. Using a heavily upgraded Gore Helm, Brach armor, the aforementioned polished Hunter Gauntlets, and Brach armor to fill it out. I'm set up with Challenger +1 and Bombardier or whatever that is. I use a talisman to get the blast points the lack of full brach leaves me, but in a pinch I switch it out with a Thunder Res +6 with necessary gemming to give me that edge against my most hated element. All electrical enemies are assbutts. My armor is lacking in the update department, but I got a massive collection of Long Swords and most need higher rank drops/carves/rewards to upgrade any further.
I've gotten this far and managed to avoid most of the MH Grind (Kecha and Great Jaggi are the only ones at 20+ kills), but as some very wise NPCs once said, "It was inevitable."
Currently working on a full Artian gunner set, but those damn firecell stones. Used all of the ones I had on my Dios Katana+.
What really blows is my overall lack of internet capability pretty much restricts me to solo hunting. Makes everything a good bit harder, and the grind slightly more unbearable. However the plus side is I've gotten really, really friggin good at evasion. Still getting used to homing Rathalos claws though. Most of his other attacks are familiar enough, I tend to forget that a perpendicular run isn't good enough to get away from that anymore.
I'll just warn you all that an older (in terms of playtime and dedication to the series) is about to rant a whole assload about things he likes and doesn't like.
my god I love my splodey sword. Since the moment I made it I haven't switched out. You're telling me I don't have to worry about swapping my sword out between hunts AND it does an excellent job busting shit up? Why would I use anything else? I mean, up until the point I'm at now, anyways. Back to the good old checking armor to see what sword to use [Protip for Novices: Check an armor's elemental weaknesses to figure out what the monster is weak against]. While I have a fondness for all the weapon types, I heavily favor the LS. I noticed that LS users tend to get hated on for their broad interrupting attacks. I've fought alongside a fellow LSer and two French dudes with other stuff and except for me being Great Sworded into the air that turned into a mount anyways, we all managed to keep out of one another's attack arcs. This does come with a lot of practice, but each weapon also has roles to fill in combat. Dear fellow Long Swordsmen: Get dat fukken tail. Obviously you need to adapt to the hunt, but I've been in plenty of hunts where the tail was just within reach of the LS vertical strike. And since the tail can give some great carves (plates and rubies for everyone!) it should be priority in most cases. Also, I see/saw a lot of complaint about killing instead of catching monsters. My numbers are terrible, but that's because I don't really care when I hunt solo. It can be easy to overkill sometimes (Mount -> Spirit Combo being my primary downfall) but with the ability to multiply a majority of the items, if not all, that are used to make Tranq Bombs, at least one member of the party should be able to provide them. Set one of your chat jawns to "Imma catch this bitch" or something vaguely similar to let the others know what you intend to do as well.
The Armor/Power Charms/Talons are throwing a little wrench into my hunt prep as always, but I always bring along a full array of pitfall traps and one shock, tranqs, potions, mega potions, honey, 3 combo books, steak, paintballs, barrels, gunpowder, small, large, and large+ bombs, scatterfish, whetstones, and the ever-underestimated exciteshroom. Every hunter I've met never experienced the glory of the exciteshroom until I come barrelling into battle with improved defense and attack, unlimited stamina, and a full bar of health (though the kitty tends to cook that up for me). While there are negative effects, all of those can easily be countered and nullified.
Now that I'm done with hunters, time to move onto the monsters.
What the actual fuck is with like no armor being resistant to water? At least in my experience, most of the armor I can make is less than satisfactory in regards to Water Res. The only good thing about this is my eternal enemy, mofuggin Plesioth, is now a casting net target. I thoroughly enjoy watching that bastard flop helplessly onto dry land. Which it somehow doesn't like anymore, but who am I to complain? Fuck that guy.
And what's with the old pushovers now being the opposite of that? Cephadrome actually being a fight? Whaaaaaat? I mean, I understand you introduce new stuff earlier so the older things naturally become tougher, but the Monoblos was at one point described as an elder dragon. It's not a legit ED, but holy balls those words hold some sort of meaning to me. I do like that poison spit flows downhill now, no matter how much that's assisted in dicking me over. And speaking of poison and dicks, that damn massive Scylla bite is a crap and a quarter. I detest the erratic movement and rapid quickfire attacks that put me on my ass for enough time for the sumbitch to poison me and get me carted right as I go to eat a mega pot/antidote. And the cats never come through in the clutch moments like that (3 Healing, 2 Defense gives me all I need for now. Except good support timing). The lagombi's circular slide was also a hell of a shocker for me. I was not expecting that at all, but like anything else it gets easy to evade once you know what to look for. And I'm certain I could kill more shit if I went back to Gunlances, but I love my Long Swords. I haven't done much gunning either, but that's due to hold-over from past games where gunning was fairly expensive unless you wanted to do a jillion gathering quests in between, and it wasn't much good alone anyhow. But that Gunner's Pouch is a Bowgunner's filthy, dirty, sloppy wet dream. I used to load up on rounds and materials for rounds and had shit else for room. Now I can actually bring stuff on the quest with me!
Well that was a tangent, but like I said, rant. I probably have a lot more I'd like to say, but I got sponsibilities. Maybe I'll rant some more at a later date.

TL;DR? FUCK YEAH MONSTER HUNTER

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 06, 2015, 10:06:50 pm »

That block of text is pretty painful to read. Paragraphs...?
You don't really have to worry about rusted armor and weapons until G rank at the very least, since you'll be throwing out most of your old armor in favor of G rank armor anyways (except special cases like the light belt).

The Shrouded Nerscylla bite is even more BS because it does it coming up form underground, and the animation is so slow yet every frame of it does 100% damage. Several times I've dodged the attack fully only for me to get 'hit' by seemingly nothing dangerous.

Have you fought as a longsword user in a group with a Lancer yet? Those are the guys who will get tripped by everything.

You don't have to worry about water resistance, unless you know of a dangerous enemy who has strong water attacks (and the only one I can think of is... Tigerstripe Zamtrios...? Maybe Desert Seltas Queen? But you shouldn't be getting hit by those attacks anyways).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:08:22 pm by OzyTheSage »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 06, 2015, 11:32:11 pm »

You don't have to worry about water resistance, unless you know of a dangerous enemy who has strong water attacks (and the only one I can think of is... Tigerstripe Zamtrios...? Maybe Desert Seltas Queen? But you shouldn't be getting hit by those attacks anyways).
You still might, though. If you're going to fight Seltas Queen or Desert Seltas Queen, at least in G-Rank, be wary that they can both whip out their water cannon attack at the drop of a hat. If you see either one of them slowly creeping toward you, generally trying to face you, get the HELL out of the way, because odds are they're going to hit you in the face with an incredibly sudden water blast.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 06, 2015, 11:43:40 pm »

Really, don't worry about relic armors until the very highest levels. They're pretty bad.

Are you using stuff from low rank still? You probably want to get high rank versions (S/U) as soon as you can. Spare no expenses, get a full set, etc etc etc

Don't worry about water resistance because as Ozy says, all the monsters who use water attacks are lamers. They're mostly easy to avoid, and you can probably handle eating a hit or two even with bad resistance as long as you have defense to back it up. Failing all else, you could just eat for water resistance.

p.s.: I definitely agree with Cephalos being huge assholes. It's like, "hey you're fighting apex Seregios? why don't I fly over you through some magic bullshit and paralyze you so that Seregios can claw you and cause you to explode into blood and scales. see it's a perfect plan because seregios bleed attacks don't stagger so you'll still be paralyzed. also i can fly through the air because bullshit."

God I hate them.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:13:20 am by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 95