Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Spawns  (Read 1423 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Animal Spawns
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:54 am »

I've always been under the impression that every embark only has one group of wild animals per layer (ie surface, caverns 1/2/3, magma sea).  However my recent experimentation with 16x1 embarks have had two groups of wild animals wandering the embark at the same time -- both different species.

Currently wondering at what point does this occur; is it due to overlapping biomes, or does it have to do with embark area size?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Spawns
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:20:57 am »

I would assume overlapping biomes has something to do with it. Even on a small embark square, I might get animals from the "wrong" biome because the place they spawned is one treewide corner of a different biome to my prevalent biome. Well, that's what I assume is the reason, anyhow.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:52:38 am »

Well, in this case, hunting is easier on small maps.
I used to play 4x4 maps, but it didn't have more animals than 1x1 maps.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:19 am »

On my last embark i had constantly 5-7 Giant Loorikeets on the map. When they "worked their way off the map", they came back in the same number pretty soon. Always. Other animals occur only very rare. Another embark there were always wild boars wandering around the map. Every embark there is indeed one group of animals, which constantly spawns new if you get rid of them.

It would be nice if we had some more diversity.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:39 pm »

You could just slaughter them all
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:50:56 pm »

You could just change the numbers that affect there spawn rate too.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 02:18:58 am »

Not sure if it's a think, or just a coincidence...but It seems more likely to have stuff to hunt when you have a hunter. There are times when I don't have a hunter and I never see huntable animals wandering around. I'm usually on 3x3 embarks and can see most of the map...I don't scour it or check unit list compulsively. Just seems to bring the mobs in.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:05 pm »

Well, in this case, hunting is easier on small maps.
I used to play 4x4 maps, but it didn't have more animals than 1x1 maps.

Omg 1x1 maps it's so much easier to hunt. If you bring along a few dogs they just go crazy on everything. The only bad part seems to be they just keep killing things until alligators or something similar show up and put m down 😞.