Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My proficient miner brought down a troll O_o  (Read 761 times)

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
My proficient miner brought down a troll O_o
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:27:00 am »

Funny. I got a narrow tunnel past the chasm and up to the magma (so I could get magma furnaces ASAP). When one of the miners (Proficient skill and nothing else) was returning for a drink, a troll sprung out of an ambush. I've immediately sent some soldiers there but, much to my surprise, the miner wasted that troll while barely getting scratched...

Moral of the story: Never block a hungry dwarf O_O

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: My proficient miner brought down a troll O_o
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 07:48:00 am »

Addendum: Never block a hungry miner dwarf. Their weapon skill with the pick comes from their skill in Mining. They're a good temporary military force when things get hairy.

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 07:49:00 am »

Good to know <_<
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:35:00 am »

Think about it, he swings that little pick into piles of rock for literally "months" without sleeping. Do you think a troll can really stand  up to someone with that much arm strength?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 12:31:00 pm »

Me:say that to my legandary miner you ugly troll!
troll:you (shall) die you dwarf!
Kogan:HA! try THIS!
A troll was struck down

yeah. this happened to me too! hehe only if that troll would know that my legendary miner is ultra-mighty...

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 03:38:00 pm »

*double-checks weapon definitions in \raw\objects*

Oh, shit, fighting with picks does use mining skill.  I had thought it was wrestling skill.  Miners really are badass.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »

Speaking of which, does wood cutting improve a dwarf's skill with the axe? I know that axes actually have a regular military skill, I'm just wondering if it is possible yet for a weapon to rely on multiple skills, either hard-coded or in the raw files.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

Frankly, I think that neither case (mining nor lumberjacking) *should* give large bonuses to fighting with your implement.

Sure, bonuses due to gained strength.  And maybe some minimal bonus due to familiarity with the implement.

But opponents, fighting you in a life or death situation, do not act even remotely similarly to either cavern walls or trees.  And that's the overriding factor.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »

What if it's a zombie tree whipping at you with its branches or a haunted rock... rolling... at you... *Snicker*

What then, huh?!

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 12:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
Speaking of which, does wood cutting improve a dwarf's skill with the axe? I know that axes actually have a regular military skill, I'm just wondering if it is possible yet for a weapon to rely on multiple skills, either hard-coded or in the raw files.

Well, you could just edit the item_weapon raw to change axes to use Wood Cutting skill in combat.

While I agree mining skill shouldn't count as a combat skill, it isn't much of an exploit, since you can't get miners to wear armor or soldiers to carry picks.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 03:21:00 am »

Heh, i had Magma man jump out and fry three Peasants, one after another, then a passer-by Miner just whacked him once on the head, and Magma man kicked the bucket. Was pretty funny, like, : "What'cha having all this trouble for ? Look'it, this is how its done !" *whack*.