Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37869 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 34
« Reply #390 on: March 21, 2015, 08:28:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2015, 03:29:55 pm »

So what do you use for your 'rankings' and where do we all come in at, Squeegy, if I might ask? Population?

Also, SilverDragon, how are your Golden Horde defenses coming along?

Also: Ah, the glories of not needing to do much for my turn.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 21, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »

((Going to be out for the rest of today and most of tomorrow.))

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »

I've been trying to expand and gain hold of resources, but I'm also training a GH defensive force of spearmen and axemen.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:57 pm »

I ranked people based on how quickly they were expanding, so yes, population. And I personally enjoy doing a lot of things on my turn.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »

I ranked people based on how quickly they were expanding, so yes, population. And I personally enjoy doing a lot of things on my turn.
Yes, but it means I never have to put off doing my turn, and it only takes me a few minutes, rather than half an hour or more.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:04 am »

So, no response to my royalty idea for the end-game?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 22, 2015, 12:47:22 pm »

So, no response to my royalty idea for the end-game?
I don't really like it. Too much risk and uncertainty in it for my liking. Lose a scant few slow troops and you're screwed?

Besides, who's to say the Kharen States aren't a Republic like the classical city-states of old?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 22, 2015, 12:52:11 pm »

No one, just name your royalty 'Senator So-and-So.'

They're intentionally slow so that they act as kings rather than pawns (or any other given chess piece). You're supposed to keep them safe, and you're not screwed so long as you have any more cities. You only need one of them and you get as many of them as you have cities that you've brought up to Metropolis. It's either that, or you need to have your starting city or any pop 6 city. This is basically the same thing, but actually more versatile and moveable.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2015, 01:09:24 pm »

No one, just name your royalty 'Senator So-and-So.'

They're intentionally slow so that they act as kings rather than pawns (or any other given chess piece). You're supposed to keep them safe, and you're not screwed so long as you have any more cities. You only need one of them and you get as many of them as you have cities that you've brought up to Metropolis. It's either that, or you need to have your starting city or any pop 6 city. This is basically the same thing, but actually more versatile and moveable.

Ah, that would work. Although in my case I basically view it as a coalition of monarchies(I was just making a point :P but you proved me wrong pretty easily).

True...So wait, is there any way to regain them once they're lost? Or do you just need to get more pop 6 cities?

And how will we keep track to make sure we remember which one's which?

I feel maybe there should be a unique non-producable Honor Guard unit for this purpose. Heavy Infantry give or take a bit in terms of stats(lower to represent mostly ceremonial purpose, or higher to represent best of the best; maybe just the same, since they probably wouldn't benefit from Barracks, Master Blacksmiths, or Health Fountains so it balances out to be that anyway) but 2 Movement(I'm sorry but 1 movement is just ridiculously slow and that's my biggest concern at the moment). Still not all that fast, horsemen can still catch up, but easier to keep track of and not quite so vulnerable. Can still be killed and are at risk of being killed, but it also gives an incentive to use them; they're quite good in a fight after all, and can keep up with slightly faster land armies. Risk and reward and all that.

I kinda like the idea of mercenaries units, actually. Cost money to hire, no stat boosts save experience(since that can be set by the GM), and require higher upkeep, but might actually have lower health(since they're just fighting for coin, and would thus leave the field of battle faster) or aren't under the player's direct control(though this would result in a headache for the GM, in all likelihood), or have a chance of switching sides when they lose(random chance or proportions-wise?) though the new owner can choose whether to keep or kill(keeping does cost money after all, and a turncoat can't be trusted...).

Might be too much complexity. Mostly I like the idea of Pirate Lords or something, and possibly roving bands of mercenaries and/or barbarian tribes that can be diplomancied. Again, probably too much complexity to be useful/fun.

So....just Kashyyk then?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 22, 2015, 02:05:40 pm »

You get one for every city that you bring up to pop 6 for the first time. So to get more, make new cities or bring existing cities that haven't been pop 6 to pop 6. I'll keep track of them myself.

Next game, I might roll some of these ideas in, but I think Heavy Infantry is just fine for the purpose now, because their high HP and defense make them good "stay at home and don't die" units. They can still accompany any army, for instance if you bring artillery along, but for the most part they are a symbolic victory piece. And yes, we're waiting on Kashyyk.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 22, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 22, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 34 (click to show/hide)

Whispers come from the Southern Hold, of clouds of sand seen on the horizon, through the mountain pass. Cries for mercy carried on the desert wind, the death rattles of the Southerners' kinsmen. The Golden Horde have taken the South, and they come now for these fertile lands.

Turn 35

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - Kashyyk
Southerners - SilverDragon
Kharen States - Rolepgeek
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 35
« Reply #404 on: March 22, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40