Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37873 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 30
« Reply #360 on: March 15, 2015, 07:37:58 pm »

Proposal:
If a player loses control of both A) Any players starting city and B) Has no pop 6 cities. They they are no longer able to A) Build new cities, or B) Claim any new land. If they manage to get any capital back, or build up another pop 6 city, then the restriction would be lifted.
The main reason for this is so that it would be actually possible to defeat players without having to spend 20 turns wiping out every single tile of theirs out to prevent them from building up tiny spearmen armies and harassing you.
I probably should have put this out there way earlier, but seeing as no one has actually started a war yet (much less be dead), it seems like it still isn't too late. Thoughts?
My view is that having to deal with the equivalent of guerilla warfare/peasant uprisings is an interesting part of the game: it's one thing to rush in and take a civilisation's cities, but quite another to be able to hold them, fight new wars and crush new build-up of local resistance at the same time. Also, often players just quit when they're in an unwinnable situation, but the option for tenacious players to play on should be there.

It's interesting to see how peaceful everyone's being. I guess it must be in part due to how huge the map is. In the previous (non-Dark Age) Vanigo game, on turn 30 I was fighting a war against all five other players, raising fields and taking towns. If I was playing as the Southerners in this game, I'd use the superior iron production to amass axe men and send them on the East: large food-empires are powerful foes in the mid-to-end game so you've got to attack early on and steal their cities if you've got weak growth.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:56:54 pm by notquitethere »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2015, 08:17:43 pm »

Proposal:
If a player loses control of both A) Any players starting city and B) Has no pop 6 cities. They they are no longer able to A) Build new cities, or B) Claim any new land. If they manage to get any capital back, or build up another pop 6 city, then the restriction would be lifted.
The main reason for this is so that it would be actually possible to defeat players without having to spend 20 turns wiping out every single tile of theirs out to prevent them from building up tiny spearmen armies and harassing you.
I probably should have put this out there way earlier, but seeing as no one has actually started a war yet (much less be dead), it seems like it still isn't too late. Thoughts?

Sure, that sounds good enough to me, as long as the players themselves are down with it.

It looks like hector13 is AWOL, he hasn't been online in two days. Should I auto him?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2015, 09:36:11 pm »

Maybe wait a little while longer? He might show up. (Also I had to check to make sure I wasn't holding us up again lol.)
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2015, 09:44:23 pm »

I just don't think it's worth waiting days for him, especially since he's not doing anything particularly important, like fighting a war. We have no idea how long he's going to be missing.

Spoiler: hector13 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn 30 (click to show/hide)

Turn 31

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Kharen States - Rolepgeek
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 31
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2015, 02:47:43 pm »

There's always one thing you forget... sorry, I was away over the weekend. Managed to forget this game in all the things I was doing on B12.

Spoiler: turn 31 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:00:58 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »

It's interesting to see how peaceful everyone's being. I guess it must be in part due to how huge the map is. In the previous (non-Dark Age) Vanigo game, on turn 30 I was fighting a war against all five other players, raising fields and taking towns. If I was playing as the Southerners in this game, I'd use the superior iron production to amass axe men and send them on the East: large food-empires are powerful foes in the mid-to-end game so you've got to attack early on and steal their cities if you've got weak growth.
Yeah, there are quite a few reasons.
1) The map is much larger. There is literally no need to be fighting over land before turn 100.
2) There are no critical resources. In the previous (non-Dark Age) game, both mana and iron was positioned so as to cause maximum conflict. Removing these removes a large part of the impetus for the war. It also removes the excuse that you are simply sending troops to protect your (already owned) resource point). Although there is still iron, there is much more of it, and every single player has some close enough that there is no way to snatch it from them without a full scale war.
3) The map is much larger (again) with rougher average terrain. This means that instead of units taking 5 turns to reach a enemy, they take 10 turns. Which doesn't sound super huge, but it does mean that instead of them being sure your troops are going to attack them (instead of simply sit on the boundary between your nations) 2 turns ahead, they are sure 5 turns ahead instead.
4) I was quite thorough in explaining my strategy this time around, which I suspect probably stopped one or two players from starting a early conflict.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2015, 08:06:25 pm »

Quote from: lemon10 link=topic=148399.msg6104151#msg6104151
4) I was quite thorough in explaining my strategy this time around, which I suspect probably stopped one or two players from starting a early conflict.
Yes, and I wish you wouldn't influence the game like that. Giving advice on how the system works is fine but telling people "this is the right way to play" just stifles the players' creativity and makes the game boring.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 16, 2015, 09:13:36 pm »

Don't worry Squeegy
The Golden Horde'll start some action, that's for sure.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 16, 2015, 11:26:13 pm »

Quote from: lemon10 link=topic=148399.msg6104151#msg6104151
Yes, and I wish you wouldn't influence the game like that. Giving advice on how the system works is fine but telling people "this is the right way to play" just stifles the players' creativity and makes the game boring.
*Shrugs*. I wouldn't have said anything more about it than a single post (which wouldn't really have convinced anyone) if you guys hadn't been arguing with me about it.
But you are right, I really should have held back what I was saying a bit more.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2015, 12:29:55 am »

Well, I was arguing with you mostly to keep you from influencing them too much.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2015, 02:09:48 am »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:16 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 31 (click to show/hide)

Turn 32

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Kharen States - Rolepgeek
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 32
« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2015, 09:31:29 pm »

I'm first for once! Huzzah.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40