Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37826 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 22
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2015, 01:21:00 pm »

hector13 says he's against viewing resources and buildings in the Admin Interface, so I'm afraid it's going to remain prohibited.

Spoiler: Turn 22 (click to show/hide)

Turn 23

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Rolepgeek
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 23
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 23 (click to show/hide)

It seems unlikely that 5 enemies would have that level of intelligence on one another.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2015, 03:26:09 pm »

It seems unlikely that 5 enemies would have that level of intelligence on one another.

Who says everyone's enemies?

Besides which, it seems far more unlikely to me that the Easterners would know the exact improvement levels of the lands under the control of the Westerners and Islanders, in addition to their exact troop composition and experience levels, yet be unable to remember whether the Southerners had built a fortress or just a palisade in that city. Aka: Either fully implement fog of war or forego it entirely. Don't muck about halfway.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:29:45 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »

Who says everyone's enemies?

The goal of the game is to destroy all the other factions.

:P

Besides which, it seems far more unlikely to me that the Easterners would know the exact improvement levels of the lands under the control of the Westerners and Islanders, in addition to their exact troop composition and experience levels, yet be unable to remember whether the Southerners had built a fortress or just a palisade in that city.

I'm not sure Squeegy can work it so that we can only get relatively specific information on one faction, and more general information about the rest.

My thoughts were basically that to know the location of everyone's armies and cities only really requires a scout, which doesn't need to be involved in the inner workings of armies or towns to know it, whereas to know what buildings there are in cities, how much population, resources etc. requires a much larger and more involved intelligence network, which we would essentially be getting for free.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »

While it's true that winning the game can only be accomplished by eliminating all other players, working together with some players in the short-term is possible and can be beneficial to all involved parties.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2015, 03:38:03 pm »

That may be the listed goal of the game, but in reality, it's over when everyone remaining decides it's over, and the Golden Hordes still exist. So, not really. Not all the time, at least, which was my point.

He can't do either, since it would entail hardcoding the interface. He could forbid one thing or another and hope we abide by the honor system.

And when everyone gets that for free, it's an even playing field. Besides which, again, we can tell the exact composition, skill level, and number of the enemy troops hiding in that city, but we can't know whether it's a juicy target that's worth risking the fight for since it lacks defensive buildings but has several good troop producers(and we can't see buildings, but we can see what their resource production is? Because that makes sense?), or is a death-trap bottleneck designed with the express purpose of telling any and all attackers to fuck off in great big flashing letters. Aka: How come we can see the veteran pikemen behind the stone walls, but not the stone walls themselves? How come we can tell exactly what they're producing in each tile and what they build, but can't put two and two together and get some scholars to keep track of that information?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 07, 2015, 03:51:07 pm »

I was more interested in the realism aspect of it, than the parity side.

Resource production appears to happen almost entirely outside of cities, so again all it takes is a scout going "okay, there are three farms, a mine and a fishery, lets get this back to the analysts back home." and then they come up with an estimation of resource production.

I know we can't do it the way I would like to see it because of the coding aspect, and that not everyone is going to share my view on it. I don't mind if others do it, I'm just disinclined to do it even if it hamstrings me a little. (disinclined, not completely averse. I'll likely start doing it when I get more involved in the military aspect, but then I can fob it off as part of the upkeep of the army)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2015, 03:58:36 pm »

Well, the question is whether it should be allowed for anyone to do, not whether you would do it.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »

Well, the question is whether it should be allowed for anyone to do, not whether you would do it.

Is there anything you can do about it to stop it, beyond telling people not to do it though?

I'm not saying people would do it even if you specifically said not to, just that the possibility is there. There's not really any way to prove someone has, or to punish them if they do, either.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2015, 04:54:12 pm »

Is there anything you can do about it to stop it, beyond telling people not to do it though?

I'm not saying people would do it even if you specifically said not to, just that the possibility is there. There's not really any way to prove someone has, or to punish them if they do, either.
No, there isn't anything he could do. Even if he stopped posting links to the admin interface in the game and removed all the ones he has in the thread, the admin interface would still be there (and linked in every other thread that has played this game), and people could still use it.
Further then that, the info is also in plaintext in the savegame info, and could be easily read without even having the admin interface.

Also, the realism issue seems a bit silly to me. Its a game, and it doesn't really matter what is more realistic, simply which is more interesting for the game and fun. That said, it is probably realistic that it would be easier to tell what large public buildings exist in a city then the exact troops composition of a nations armies.
*Shrugs* I don't really care about it that much since I'm not playing though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2015, 08:17:04 pm »

Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:12 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 23 (click to show/hide)

Turn 24

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Rolepgeek
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 24
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2015, 10:04:37 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 24 (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40