Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37838 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 9
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2015, 11:50:48 pm »

((I'm back!!))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2015, 11:54:00 pm »

*shrugs*
Its entirely up to them if they think going off and raiding their opponents is a good idea, because as you say, they can do some damage, and since they start with troops, it won't cost anything. I wouldn't do it personally, but that's mainly because I play very conservatively, and try to outgrow my opponents.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2015, 11:58:03 pm »

Yes, but that only worked for you because you started on a wide-open space that could only be reached by ship and nobody bothered to come curb your growing power. These guys don't have that luxury.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2015, 05:37:22 am »

Welcome back Pencil Art! I can't do my turn at the moment, its a bit too late.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:34 am »

((I'm back!!))

Yay! you are welcome to keep my stand-in, or do your own turn.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:31 pm »

Yes, but that only worked for you because you started on a wide-open space that could only be reached by ship and nobody bothered to come curb your growing power. These guys don't have that luxury.
I really have to disagree. I've used that strategy in every game of this that I have played, and it has served me well every time.
It might not always be an option, as if you are attacked you are always forced to fight back, but focusing on growing your power without attacking other players is the optimal option.

It also helps that I am the best at long term growth. If I was in Wales position in The Dark Age right now I would have 70+ fully upgraded knights (or mounted crossbowmen) at the very minimum, with probably having over 100.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »

I can't really comment on that because I've only played the last few turns, but I do know that sitting idly and letting an enemy in a better position for growth consolidate their power is not strategically wise. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Also, welcome back, Pencil_Art.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2015, 03:26:41 pm »

I can't really comment on that because I've only played the last few turns, but I do know that sitting idly and letting an enemy in a better position for growth consolidate their power is not strategically wise. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Also, welcome back, Pencil_Art.
But that's just the thing. Its not a zero sum game. If you harass another player, and cost him 5 turns of growth for 2 turns of your own, that isn't a win (despite the fact that it is a huge advantage for you in a 1v1 against him), it simply puts all the other players 2 turns ahead of you.
So while you can stop the growth of a single player by being aggressive, all that does is simply help every single other player.
Now, if you gain strength as a result of your fighting by taking over his cities that is one thing, but that is very improbable early game unless your opponent basically doesn't fight back, due to the amount of time that it takes your troops to reach their cities on any decently sized map.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2015, 03:31:10 pm »

It's not a zero-sum game, but you're not the only player in the game. There are also other factors to consider: If everyone just sat back and grew as fast as possible, the game would be very boring. Not everyone has the same potential for growth, some people have an abundance of resources that are better suited to building an army. If you stop the growth of 2 players for 5 turns, you would only lose 4 turns of growth. If you target the two closest players, this weakens your biggest enemies more than it weakens you. Moving a pre-existing army around does not actually cost you anything in terms of growth, unless you are attacked. The game is not built so that you can only either grow or produce a military. And if everyone else followed your advice, they would be too shy to send their armies out to face yours as it razed their outskirts. I appreciate that you've played a few more games, but it's not as simple as "turtle and grow = better." It's certainly an easy strategy, but it's not the be-all end-all.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:23 pm »

I'll keep the stand-in. Thanks.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2015, 04:12:50 pm »

This game is not exactly economically complex. Especially on such a large map as this. Whether one can outgrow their opponents or not was basically determined on turn one and for the most part it's not really a function of skill, but starting position. I'm not sure if you can call "having the best starting spot" a strategy that it's possible to be good at...

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2015, 05:14:20 pm »

I believe (but I could be completely wrong) that population you get from food consumes 1 food per turn, so eventually everyone's population will level out to the maximum that their lands are capable of supporting. However, the tiles that you choose to claim with your population (as well as what improvements you build) make a big difference in the early game, so it's possible for someone to get a big early lead by choosing to claim tiles for food over any tiles with other resources, or building a farm every turn. However, everyone else will eventually catch up to them, and while they'll have a lead in population and labor, they'll suffer on resources, which don't taper off over time.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2015, 06:18:13 pm »

Ah, but in the meantime they will have been able to expand to resource spots and grow their labor cities faster, which means that overall they will have an advantage.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:15 pm »

Yes, this is true, which is why it's very useful to have potential allies you can team up on them with.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2015, 12:57:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40