Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37849 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 8
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2015, 07:02:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2015, 07:29:04 am »

Um, so they issued a tornado warning where I live and while I'm still active, if I dissapear and don't log on again you'll know what happened. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Unfortunately I am unable to make my turn at the moment, sorry.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:35 am »

Spoiler:  Pencil_Art Stand-in (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:26 am »

Spoiler: Turn 8 (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »

Um, so they issued a tornado warning where I live and while I'm still active, if I dissapear and don't log on again you'll know what happened. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Unfortunately I am unable to make my turn at the moment, sorry.
Alright, thanks for letting us know. If you don't show up for a few days I'll have Kashyyk take over. Be safe.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:22 pm »

I'll throw out some tips for everyone from past games:
Never fight two opponents at once if you can possibly avoid it. Just don't do it. It might seem like a good idea at the time, but it is pretty certain to turn out very badly.

Full scale war is extremely costly early in the game, especially for the attacker until. Don't do it unless you will gain a very large strategic advantage from it, finish it very quickly, or you already have a very well developed empire.

Always have your attacking troops in the same army wherever possible. Otherwise they fight separately (even if all moving from the same place to the same place at the same speed), which makes them exponentially weaker.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2015, 05:38:47 pm »

Thanks for the tips, lemon. Expect an edit in the next hour.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:11:44 pm by SilverDragon »
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »

Also, I notice some people are building roads. Road have two purposes in the game.
The first is that they majorly speed up troop movement (by reducing the movecost down to 1 for all terrain types), which makes them invaluable for moving your armies when you are attacking, allowing you to move your troops between cities faster when defending, and gathering you newly produced troops into armies. They can also be used by your enemy however, and since they can never be destroyed once built, roads can make it much easier to attack you if placed improperly.
The second is that you need either a road connection or ports on the same ocean to trade with another player. On this map you almost certainly are going to be trading on the ocean (since it is far easier and quicker then setting up 20 long roads), so the fact that it allows trade probably won't matter. Do note however that if you and a potential trading partner do make a road for trading, enemy troops can come down it just as easily as trade goods. This of course, assumes that squeegy is working with under standard trading rules, as he could just as easily ban trading altogether (or simply ban road/ocean trading).

And since neither of those is really of any import to any players at the moment (and you don't want to be building roads willy nilly since they may help attacking opponents), you really don't want to be spending any labor on roads just yet.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:05 pm »

Turn 9

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Criptfiend
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 9
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:47 pm »

Spoiler: turn (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2015, 08:19:21 pm »

Spoiler: Pencil_Art Stand-in (click to show/hide)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2015, 09:13:06 pm »

Never fight two opponents at once if you can possibly avoid it. Just don't do it. It might seem like a good idea at the time, but it is pretty certain to turn out very badly.

Full scale war is extremely costly early in the game, especially for the attacker until. Don't do it unless you will gain a very large strategic advantage from it, finish it very quickly, or you already have a very well developed empire.

Always have your attacking troops in the same army wherever possible. Otherwise they fight separately (even if all moving from the same place to the same place at the same speed), which makes them exponentially weaker.
While I don't advise getting into a full-scale war either, unless you spot a serious weakness on the part of an enemy, it's tactically sound to send your troops out to raze enemy lands by conquering claimed tiles so they can't get as many resources. Just be aware that others might send some troops to do it to you.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:36 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 9 (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:51 pm »

While I don't advise getting into a full-scale war either, unless you spot a serious weakness on the part of an enemy, it's tactically sound to send your troops out to raze enemy lands by conquering claimed tiles so they can't get as many resources. Just be aware that others might send some troops to do it to you.
Its tactically sound, but strategically unsound. Harassing an opponent means that you are in a conflict with them. Conflict costs resources. If you get something out of it its one thing (more land by stopping their expansion, a iron tile (or in the rules that have magic in them, elemental resources/mithril/pegasai), a city), or their is only single other player in the game.
But if there are more then two players (and there are) it isn't a zero sum game. If you hurt one of your neighbors, and it hurts you in turn (even if the hurt is only 4 labor to build the troop and buildings for you, and a single tile of land for them), it means that everyone but you two get ahead. Now, a single raider won't cost you much, but if it escalates, and they send troops to stop your raider, and you have to build troops to stop them raiding you, it will end up costing you resources, and quite possibly put both of you turns behind the other players..
Since distances are so great in this map, I don't think their is much incentive for raiding to get resources (as you need to claim the land all the way to the point where you are raiding in order to get it for yourself).

I should make it clear though, that if you think you can get a enemy city on the cheap, then its probably worth a try (although a full out war is still very costly to your development). Just be aware that if your opponent responds to any real degree, the 5(?) turns it will take your troops to get over to them means that your attack will fail and cost you a non-trivial amount of resources (which in turn will help everyone else).

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2015, 11:04:35 pm »

Its tactically sound, but strategically unsound. Harassing an opponent means that you are in a conflict with them. Conflict costs resources. If you get something out of it its one thing (more land by stopping their expansion, a iron tile (or in the rules that have magic in them, elemental resources/mithril/pegasai), a city), or their is only single other player in the game.
But if there are more then two players (and there are) it isn't a zero sum game. If you hurt one of your neighbors, and it hurts you in turn (even if the hurt is only 4 labor to build the troop and buildings for you, and a single tile of land for them), it means that everyone but you two get ahead. Now, a single raider won't cost you much, but if it escalates, and they send troops to stop your raider, and you have to build troops to stop them raiding you, it will end up costing you resources, and quite possibly put both of you turns behind the other players..
Since distances are so great in this map, I don't think their is much incentive for raiding to get resources (as you need to claim the land all the way to the point where you are raiding in order to get it for yourself).

I should make it clear though, that if you think you can get a enemy city on the cheap, then its probably worth a try (although a full out war is still very costly to your development). Just be aware that if your opponent responds to any real degree, the 5(?) turns it will take your troops to get over to them means that your attack will fail and cost you a non-trivial amount of resources (which in turn will help everyone else).
They start with units, they don't have to build them. The units they started with are otherwise just sitting around costing money.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:20:21 am by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40