Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37804 times)

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 21
« Reply #255 on: March 06, 2015, 12:20:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 06, 2015, 12:20:28 am »

Spoiler: Turn 21 (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 06, 2015, 12:22:41 am »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 06, 2015, 02:27:51 am »

Dang, that was quick. Good work, guys.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2015, 02:28:50 am »

It popped up while I was checking my notifications, for once while I was actually able to post. :P

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:44 am »

If anyone is getting the error "You can't build an improvement there." on tiles that you clearly should be able to build an improvement on, include the order in your spoiler but outside your code tags (e.g. 'Build Farm on (15,32)'), and I will do it manually for you. I don't understand why that is happening, those tiles are no different from the others in the XML.

Nevermind, apparently that is due to proximity to a town. Anything smaller than a city can only build improvements on adjacent tiles, and otherwise you can only build them in a 2-square circle around the city (so a 2-square diagonal can't be built on). I actually don't like this, at all, but it looks hardcoded so there's nothing I can really do. I'll wait for lemon's comment on the matter, but I'm inclined to allow manual building anyway.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:49:37 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2015, 11:21:30 am »

You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2015, 08:47:54 pm »

If anyone is getting the error "You can't build an improvement there." on tiles that you clearly should be able to build an improvement on, include the order in your spoiler but outside your code tags (e.g. 'Build Farm on (15,32)'), and I will do it manually for you. I don't understand why that is happening, those tiles are no different from the others in the XML.

Nevermind, apparently that is due to proximity to a town. Anything smaller than a city can only build improvements on adjacent tiles, and otherwise you can only build them in a 2-square circle around the city (so a 2-square diagonal can't be built on). I actually don't like this, at all, but it looks hardcoded so there's nothing I can really do. I'll wait for lemon's comment on the matter, but I'm inclined to allow manual building anyway.

...And this makes me realize that you, me, and SilverDragon have completely ideas as to what 'cheating'(/metagaming or whatever it doesn't matter same idea) means. At least in regards to this game.

Because to me, that feels like cheating, while viewing someone's resources (though it's not like a thing i would do every turn; it's mostly a matter of 'oh shit they can outproduce me by a shitton' or 'oh boy they have lots of iron and need wood, and I have lots of wood but need iron'), or running battle simulations(which I rarely do mostly because it's a pain) does not. To you, meanwhile, A and C are fine but not B. And to SilverDragon, C is not okay and probably neither is B since apparently he likes going in blind. :P

Anyway.

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2015, 09:04:03 pm »

Yeah, I really don't understand your idea of "cheating" at all. I don't see how something that everyone is able to do that affects only them is cheating. In this case the rule doesn't even affect me negatively, I just think it is dumb. Whereas, you seem to think things that give you an advantage over your opponents by changing the rules to benefit only specific people, or allowing you to view privileged information on other players, are just fine.

Spoiler: Turn 21 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle Log (click to show/hide)

I will say, however, that I quite like the way you name all of your units and armies. If you'd like to rename your faction to something other than 'Easterners,' let me know.

Turn 22

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Rolepgeek
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 22
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2015, 10:41:44 pm »

I'm gonna be blunt here. I'd be more inclined to understand your point of view if you weren't rude about it. Instead, though, you present your side like I'm stupid or malicious for thinking anything else.

I'll give you my side:My view of cheating is based on the guy who made the game. Vanigo designed it, and he encouraged checking enemy status. Knowing is half the battle.

Additionally, you continue to, in effect, attack me, for a rules change I suggested, basically in passing, which is not a form of cheating - it may be unsportsmanlike to ask for such a thing if there was not prior precedent, and possibly even if there was, but it breaks no rules.

Resources were never privileged information, just like troop count or location never was. They are an integral part of strategy; taking advantage of your enemy's weaknesses is half the point. Or at least they were in previous games, especially since they can see yours, too. Likewise, city placement was meant to lend itself both to spreading yourself out but not too far, so that you couldn't expand without limit before even bothering with cities.

As for name, I'm not sure....Maybe once we're bigger.

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:01 pm »

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:31:07 pm by Pencil_Art »

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2015, 11:00:44 pm »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2015, 11:17:32 pm »

Spoiler: Derailing (click to show/hide)

Speaking of the Danes, I'd like to make clear the way the Golden Horde will work: They will spawn with an army appropriate to the military strength of the other players in the game, and attempt to take over an existing city, and then will attempt to complete the same win condition as everyone else: Wiping out all the other players. Every 20 turns a larger part of the Horde will enter the map from the desert pass, until the entire Golden Horde is here, at which point they can be wiped out like any other civ. I think they're a fair challenge, intended to unite all the other players in destroying them, and actually start at a disadvantage since they will have no cities and have to take existing ones before they can begin playing normally. The Southerner civ was intended to be sort of like the Night Watch in guarding against their inevitable invasion, since they are refugees from a homeland that was destroyed by the Golden Horde and are placed directly north of where they'll enter the map. Other civs would probably do well to aid them in this fight. Diplomacy!
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2015, 11:20:48 pm »

War is a valid form of diplomacy.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2015, 11:22:59 pm »

Ahhh, gunboat diplomacy.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40