Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]  (Read 11782 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2015, 06:30:19 pm »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidics

Agoran tech hasn't exactly progressed in the same way as it did with humans.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:41:19 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2015, 06:48:04 pm »

Projects!
Pierce the Heavens Part A - Truly the most important of tests, those fools are clearly wrong on the effects of gravity dropping off! Our planet is the center of everything so surely everything must fall towards it.  +5 Anth, it shall be lead by Orthek. Enough full-time workers will be hired to carry out this job.

Flammable Air Part A - This could be the key to advancing the field of alchemy greatly, to bottle this 'flammable air' would give our alchemists the ability to bring with them an easy source of fire and recreate more for widespread use! +30 Anth, it shall be lead by Borli

Explosive Recompression Part A - This man's designs belong to the entire race of Agoran not just himself, we must endeavor to make it available to the people. +10 Anth, lead by Hathlag

The Crucible, Part A - A new, better method of producing iron could revolutionize the entirety of Agoranian production, and manufacturing not to mention have far-reaching results on our progress to reach the star above and the trio moons of our world. +20 Anth, led by Achutei.
+1 to these. This "flammable air" may be lighter-than-non-flammable-air, so we could use it to make a balloon as our first flying machine, either by just filling the balloon with it or by using it as hot air balloon burner fuel, as proposed by VoidSlayer. Are the Agorans aware yet that heating things make them less dense?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidics
Huh. That's actually really cool, and I'd never heard of it before.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2015, 06:54:45 pm »

Projects!
Pierce the Heavens Part A - Truly the most important of tests, those fools are clearly wrong on the effects of gravity dropping off! Our planet is the center of everything so surely everything must fall towards it.  +5 Anth, it shall be lead by Orthek. Enough full-time workers will be hired to carry out this job.

Flammable Air Part A - This could be the key to advancing the field of alchemy greatly, to bottle this 'flammable air' would give our alchemists the ability to bring with them an easy source of fire and recreate more for widespread use! +30 Anth, it shall be lead by Borli

Explosive Recompression Part A - This man's designs belong to the entire race of Agoran not just himself, we must endeavor to make it available to the people. +10 Anth, lead by Hathlag

The Crucible, Part A - A new, better method of producing iron could revolutionize the entirety of Agoranian production, and manufacturing not to mention have far-reaching results on our progress to reach the star above and the trio moons of our world. +20 Anth, led by Achutei.
+1

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 07:06:52 pm »

[87] The Agorans are well--aware that hot gas is less dense. Surface-dwellers tend to stick to old models suggesting that Fire is a lighter element than Air, and so filling a baloon with smoke will make it float up.

Ocean-dwellers see air as a fluid, and noticing that smoke is just soot floating up with air currents, have concluded hot fluids are less dense.

Deep ones who live on the ocean bottom have known this for centuries becuse of geothermal vents.

EDIT: For those expecting an update today, I tend to be less active Mondays through Thursdays due to being at university for most of the day. I might be able to get something out but it's not guaranteed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:52:22 am by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:26 am »

Spoiler: Current Missions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Council (click to show/hide)

Council Attributes:
+35 Administration
+35 Manufacturing
+55 Science
+10 Diplomacy

Diplomacy may not go below 0

Leader Status:
Thulataru - Idle (-25 A, -10 S while working)
Hathlag - Flammable Air
Orthek - Pierce the Heavens (+20 S while working on a drive or heavymachinery)
Achutei - The Crucible
Borli - Explosive Recompression

Current Funds: 335 Anth (-10/turn from workers)
Agoran currency represents working-class labor. Each Anth is the cost of employing a worker for one day. Part-time workers are paid in advance when hired to a project. Full-time workers always take precedence over part-time workers when it comes to labor.

Current Full-Time Workers: 10
Hiring a part-time worker for a single project only will cost extra funds to train the workers. By hiring full-time workers and paying them constantly, we avoid the problem of training costs and delays.

Active Projects:
-Pierce the Heavens! Part A - 5/5 Anth, 10/10 Workers, 10/30 Man. Project Lead: Orthek
Procedure: Build a scaffold above the water to drop weights from.
-Flammable Air - 30/30 Anth, 10/30 Sci. Project Lead: Hathlag
Procedure: Create a large quantity of this "flammable air".
-The Crucible. Part A - 20/20 Anth, 10/80 Adm. Project Lead: Achutei
Gather experts from the nearby island to work on a new metallurgical method.

Spoiler: University Projects (click to show/hide)

Projects proposed earlier:
Find a Lensmaker - 20 Anth total cost, 30 Administration needed.
Find a Glassmaker - No cost, 25 Administration needed.
Craft Lenses - Requires glass, 10 Manufacturing needed.
Study the Skies - Requires Telescope, 50 Science needed.

Date 94|43

Diplomacy Roll: [85+10] -> Exceptional [95]
Borli left the inventor's abode calmly chuckling to himself. He had no idea how to approach the task ((Having no Dip skill, hint hint)). However, he was able to plead with the engineer, using canned phrases such as "the good of science" and "common good," as well as a promise not to re-sell the blueprints. Given Borli's recent rise in status, the inventor agreed to share the designs, but not the right to sell copies.

+Project "Explosive Recompression" completed!

Manufacturing Roll: [56+35] -> Exceptional [91]
Orthek found the preliminary sketch of the scaffold to be... disgustingly inefficient, and prone to fall before it leaves the water. If it were constructed above ground using more durable and dried materials, it could climb several dozen cubits (meters)!

A lot of people seem to be interested in the view from such a scaffold. You could probably make 20 Anth or so for charging other scientists for the service, maybe more.

Science Roll: [118]
Hathlag, collaborating with the prospective alchemist, proposed a solution that indeed created a large amount of flammable gas using an acid-based reaction. The difficult part was finding the beach squid from which to extract the base.

Having filled several flasks with the products using a cleverly designed catching mechanism, Hathlag prepares to take a sample with her below, simultaneously discovering that the gas is incredibly buoyant in air. She ties several rocks to the bottom of the flask to keep it from floating away, or floating in the water, for that matter. One of the rocks happens to be flint, though, and when it wiggles out of the tie, it just so happens to land on another piece of flint. The resulting blaze of enlightenment lasted but two short seconds as the entire experimental setup was blown to ashes.

It will take several Anths to rebuild the setup, but fortunately nobody was there on the beach to see it. Your reputation is preserved!

Administrative Roll: Acceptable [69]
Achutei was aghast at the ignorance of the surface-dwellers. She spend an hour swimming just to meet with imbeciles that believed in fire-water-earth mysticism and saw the mass production of steel as an affront to nature. It would take quite a while to get them to accept the fact that her goal was noble... who knows, maybe mass-produced steel could be a good thing? The mystics said it would lead to war and ruin but Achutei, glancing at the swords and spears around their belts, could only scoff.

The first goal shall be to locate a banded iron formation that wasn't owned by some treehugging mystic or stingy capitalist. Considering that the coasts were packed, the only options would be to venture up the rivers or to hack through the jungle. Doing it alone would not be the brightest of plans.

Progress will not continue past 30/80 until a solution is found.

During these sorts of situations, player input is required. The results will be decided in RtD-like fashion as we follow the adventures of our poor engineer.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 03:55:36 am »

Is this space stuff a long term, generational goal?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 04:40:50 am »

Maybe.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 11:19:44 am »

I meant it more as a question, as not tryingto influence anything.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »

A lot of people voted for the "low tech" start :P.

It's not really as low-tech as it seems, but the information is widely scattered due to a lack of communication. If you take the initiative, you can get a lot of things done fairly quickly. Not to mention that Agorans have a great work ethic and can complete projects fairly quickly (they can build a 40 meter scaffold in 2 days).
I didn't want to start everyone in a society that's highly advanced with a lot of tech that's different from humanity because if I did, people would be overloaded with info.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2015, 01:20:16 pm »

It's not really as low-tech as it seems, but the information is widely scattered due to a lack of communication. If you take the initiative, you can get a lot of things done fairly quickly. Not to mention that Agorans have a great work ethic and can complete projects fairly quickly (they can build a 40 meter scaffold in 2 days).
Okay, extrapolating linearly, we'll be in space in just 14 years.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:13 pm »

Attempt to Hire Mercenaries to Deal with the Mystics. Science is more important than Insane Cultism.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

I vote we put Borli on Navigation Computer Part A - 40 Anth, 50 Science needed

Though I'm somewhat worried about the performance of a water based computer in a stormy environment. Sloshing around would be bad for the system.

Attempt to Hire Mercenaries to Deal with the Mystics. Science is more important than Insane Cultism.
I don't think we have the resources to eliminate them. Our total budget is 335 worker/days. Hard to civilize people on that budget.

Let's just explore our own spot.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:34 pm »

I don't think we have the resources to eliminate them. Our total budget is 335 worker/days. Hard to civilize people on that budget.

Let's just explore our own spot.
Maybe we could instead have some "accidents" happen to the leaders of the Mystics.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »

Or, we could explore shoreline geology and see if there are any such formations in easy underwater reach.

Or we could show them our scaffold and how we plan on using their sacred iron to learn about the sacred moons.

Or just bribe some of the less then upright members.  In private some people may be a little less pious.

No need to get violent!

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2015, 02:16:08 pm »

Or, We could just conquer the World and then work on expanding to outer space...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6