Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]  (Read 11780 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:00:21 am »

This is a game about going to space! The goal will be to take charge of an alien space agency, gain support, and then go from there. Updates will be considerably more frequent over the weekend, including Thursdays and Fridays. No sign-ups are required, and players can vote for multiple nominated actions. Actions with the most votes will be prioritized.

You are the Agorans.

The Agorans inhabit Hosteus Minor, a member of moonless planet in the habitable zone of the K-class star Hosteus Major. They are an aquatic race, living in massive hives built of kelp-like biomass located in shallow water. Hosteus has three asteroid moons, which had special significance to ancient Agorans during the early stages of civilization.

Spoiler: Homeworld (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Missions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Council (click to show/hide)

Council Attributes:
+35 Administration
+35 Manufacturing
+55 Science
+10 Diplomacy

Diplomacy may not go below 0

Leader Status:
Thulataru - Idle (-25 A, -10 S while working)
Hathlag - Flammable Air
Orthek - Pierce the Heavens (+20 S while working on a drive or heavymachinery)
Achutei - The Crucible
Borli - Explosive Recompression

Current Funds: 335 Anth (-10/turn from workers)
Agoran currency represents working-class labor. Each Anth is the cost of employing a worker for one day. Part-time workers are paid in advance when hired to a project. Full-time workers always take precedence over part-time workers when it comes to labor.

Current Full-Time Workers: 10
Hiring a part-time worker for a single project only will cost extra funds to train the workers. By hiring full-time workers and paying them constantly, we avoid the problem of training costs and delays.

Active Projects:
-Pierce the Heavens! Part A - 5/5 Anth, 10/10 Workers, 10/30 Man. Project Lead: Orthek
Procedure: Build a scaffold above the water to drop weights from.
-Flammable Air - 30/30 Anth, 10/30 Sci. Project Lead: Hathlag
Procedure: Create a large quantity of this "flammable air".
-The Crucible. Part A - 20/20 Anth, 10/80 Adm. Project Lead: Achutei
Gather experts from the nearby island to work on a new metallurgical method.

Spoiler: University Projects (click to show/hide)

Projects proposed earlier:
Find a Lensmaker - 20 Anth total cost, 30 Administration needed.
Find a Glassmaker - No cost, 25 Administration needed.
Craft Lenses - Requires glass, 10 Manufacturing needed.
Study the Skies - Requires Telescope, 50 Science needed.

Date 94|43

Diplomacy Roll: [85+10] -> Exceptional [95]
Borli left the inventor's abode calmly chuckling to himself. He had no idea how to approach the task ((Having no Dip skill, hint hint)). However, he was able to plead with the engineer, using canned phrases such as "the good of science" and "common good," as well as a promise not to re-sell the blueprints. Given Borli's recent rise in status, the inventor agreed to share the designs, but not the right to sell copies.

+Project "Explosive Recompression" completed!

Manufacturing Roll: [56+35] -> Exceptional [91]
Orthek found the preliminary sketch of the scaffold to be... disgustingly inefficient, and prone to fall before it leaves the water. If it were constructed above ground using more durable and dried materials, it could climb several dozen cubits (meters)!

A lot of people seem to be interested in the view from such a scaffold. You could probably make 20 Anth or so for charging other scientists for the service, maybe more.

Science Roll: [118]
Hathlag, collaborating with the prospective alchemist, proposed a solution that indeed created a large amount of flammable gas using an acid-based reaction. The difficult part was finding the beach squid from which to extract the base.

Having filled several flasks with the products using a cleverly designed catching mechanism, Hathlag prepares to take a sample with her below, simultaneously discovering that the gas is incredibly buoyant in air. She ties several rocks to the bottom of the flask to keep it from floating away, or floating in the water, for that matter. One of the rocks happens to be flint, though, and when it wiggles out of the tie, it just so happens to land on another piece of flint. The resulting blaze of enlightenment lasted but two short seconds as the entire experimental setup was blown to ashes.

It will take several Anths to rebuild the setup, but fortunately nobody was there on the beach to see it. Your reputation is preserved!

Administrative Roll: Acceptable [69]
Achutei was aghast at the ignorance of the surface-dwellers. She spend an hour swimming just to meet with imbeciles that believed in fire-water-earth mysticism and saw the mass production of steel as an affront to nature. It would take quite a while to get them to accept the fact that her goal was noble... who knows, maybe mass-produced steel could be a good thing? The mystics said it would lead to war and ruin but Achutei, glancing at the swords and spears around their belts, could only scoff.

The first goal shall be to locate a banded iron formation that wasn't owned by some treehugging mystic or stingy capitalist. Considering that the coasts were packed, the only options would be to venture up the rivers or to hack through the jungle. Doing it alone would not be the brightest of plans.

Progress will not continue past 30/80 until a solution is found.

During these sorts of situations, player input is required. The results will be decided in RtD-like fashion as we follow the adventures of our poor engineer.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:54:46 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:39 am »

B and D sound the most fun.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 02:16:47 am »

Race D sounds pretty interesting.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 02:22:04 am »

Yeah, race D sounds the best.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:48:26 am »

Since it will be a while (I won't decide until tomorrow, unless the topic dies down) before the decision is set in stone, I'll note a few things for those of us that are less inclined toward physics.

Race A: I made them able to stay out of water since otherwise you would have to carry a lot of life support mass. This race is probably still the hardest of them all, but you have advanced computer science which could make planning missions much, much easier.

Race B: The nova will be harmful in space, but it could be used to great effect for energy, which is a pretty scarce resource when every kilogram counts.

Race C: The thin atmosphere won't actually help that much in terms of your launch deltaV. However, it means that the race can survive at lower pressures, cutting down on cabin pressure and structural requirements, saving mass.

Race D: Moons are typically smaller than full-fledged planets, so the launch deltaV will be lower. To get out of your gas giant's gravity well, however, will require considerably more effort. There is also the issue that any geosynchronous satellite will not be in a stable orbit, which means that commercializing space with satellites will be more difficult.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:50:13 am by _DivideByZero_ »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:59 am »

I vote for Race A.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:41:29 am »

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:57:56 am »

Race D. It's should be interesting getting out the gas giant's influence.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:33 am »

A

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »

I vote choice Aquatics. Variety from land-based species.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 03:06:25 pm »

A
((How did they get this far? I've had many arguments about how an underwater civ would work but unless they are incredibly heat resistant metal forging wouldn't work unless they're amphibious.))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:07:56 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »

((They are amphibious, but prefer to stay underwater.

Also, people can vote multiple times. I don't believe in first-past-the-post voting))

Current Tally:

A: 4 (+1 as of Terra162's next post)
B: 1
C: 0
D: 5 (-1 as of Terra162's next post)

Due to the sudden rise in popularity of A I'll give this more time, maybe a couple of hours, and see what we get.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:46:05 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »

Oh well, seeing as they're amphibious, I'll give race A a chance... Who knows, if we fail maybe the GM will give us another chance. XP

I change my vote from D to A.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 05:11:25 pm »

Race D.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 05:25:42 pm »

Race D
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6