Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So, Radio Shack Filed for Bankruptcy - It Was Inevitable  (Read 4343 times)

ChrisLeJohn

• Bay Watcher
  • For your health
    • View Profile
So, Radio Shack Filed for Bankruptcy - It Was Inevitable
« on: February 05, 2015, 06:43:35 pm »

They'll close most of the stores while Sprint and a hedge fund negotiate to acquire additional assets. The NYSE is looking to de-list the stock after shares opened at 24 cents. Do you still go to Radio Shack?  Did Radio Shack have a better shot than Blockbuster did?

Source
I just learned how to spell escargot.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: So, Radio Shack Filed for Bankruptcy - It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »

I don't go there often, but I do on occasion. If the one in my town is still open I'll have to get down there and pick some stuff up. Hell, it'll probably be on clearance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:49:56 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:22:21 pm »

Man, last time I went into a radio shack I'd swear it was over a decade ago. All I can really remember is thinking overpriced and understocked, and having no inclination to return. So I didn't, ahaha!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

I remember going into a radioshack one hoping to find some electronics supplies, but instead there was mostly just remote controlled cars.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:33:00 pm »

I used to occasionally go to Radio Shack for circuit components, breadboards, soldering irons, etc. Then they stopped carrying all that. A few times I went for ham radio coursebooks. They stopped carrying those too. My grandmother used to go to Radio Shack for hearing aides. Again, they stopped carrying them.

What do they even sell anymore? I'm not sure.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:45:33 pm »

Last time I went in one a couple of years ago, they pretty much just sold cellphone accessories.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:52:46 pm »

Last time I went to Radio Shack? Decades ago.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:18:00 pm »

I'm just glad I made some money on RSH before they delisted. Good riddance, I say. They've been irrelevant for far too long to still be the size they were. This does show that building it does not make them come, though. A pretty big lesson on what not to do in order to stay around once you've lost your niche in a market.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 08:22:02 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:19:22 am by penguinofhonor »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:53 pm »

We have a store in Australia that I presume is similar called "Dick Smith". I haven't gone there for years either because they don't stock the more specific electronics that I tend to be searching for. You know, things like 6-pin to USB or large headphone jack to small converter.

Since it's easier to get those things online, I feel they're going to go out of business in a similar way due to being irrelevant. They do stock remote controlled cars and TV screens but those are already covered by the likes of JB Hifi.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:52 pm »

Last time I went to radio shack was in 1932.

Back when they carried daguerreotype supplies and Laudnum. And they don't carry that stuff anymore!

Also this is a story I'm glad is coming to a conclusion. Been hearing about their financial troubles for years, to the surprise of exactly no one, to the interest of no one except their stockholders and maybe some vengeful CEO at Best Buy.

Anyways, next up, Best Buy! There's a store I've still been to in the last 20 years that has routinely disappointed me more every time. I had to go to Office Deport to buy monitor adapters, because I'm pretty sure Best Buy carries nothing but TVs, Stereo stuff, Laptops, Phones and Tablets now. Oh, and a sad sack offering of video games and movies too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:47:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:38:31 pm »

Now where will I go to buy Tandy computers and overpriced remote control cars?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:17 pm »

Now where will I go to buy Tandy computers and overpriced remote control cars?

Ohh no!

The Tandy Computer Wiz Kids will become homeless!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:37 pm »

Went to Radio shack recently.

All they were trying to sell was fancy stereo equipment you had to install yourself, cell phone/cable accessories, and wires of various configurations. I felt bad for the one guy who was working there. He seemed like a nice one and he was actually attempting to be helpful. The problem was, they didn't have the thing I was looking for and both of us were surprised to learn that they didn't.

It's actually tragic in a way. The place seemed to originally stand for the idea of a self reliant person who could do their own electrical gadget work and create things. Now it's a cell phone, speaker and sorta kinda computer outlet (half done). :(
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:45:59 pm »

Last time I went to Radio Shack was about two week ago, because I'm poor and need things and it was nearby and had those things at a price I could afford. I guess I'll just go somewhere else to buy similar things in the future.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3