Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: NEBS (Napoleonic Era Battlefield Simulator)  (Read 5919 times)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
Re: NEBS (Napoleonic Era Battlefield Simulator)
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 06:14:30 pm »

Alright you're getting one very obscure hint in the form of a screenshot as to what I have planned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Presumably it means that in the campaign, there will be various resources, such as food, money, and ammo. You will also have a certain amount of infantry, rifleman, officers, and cannons in your army that you will have to fight battles. I would imagine these cost money to recruit, and have money and food as upkeep. In battle they will use ammo. rec_rep is probably reputation? Might have something to do with morale. e_army sounds like enemy army, but that would only make sense if they don't have to worry about ammo, which you might have done because you don't want to create an AI that will play the entire campaign against you, just fight battles, because that's much easier and that's the goal anyway.

How close was I?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 04:53:50 pm »

This is awesome!!
My request/how I'd love to see this go would be for the player to be able to issue some large scale commands that the units would try to carry out - but they'd be purposefully broad.

So you couldn't move units piece by piece (like an RTS) but you'd instead give general orders that would be carried out to some degree. So you could have a list of general commands, (spread out, hold the line, skirmish, charge, etc.) which you could give to various areas of the battlefield. You could make this MORE interesting/realistic if you could only give the commands to individual officers and they'd then relay those to troops near by (with some delay). You could further build on this with things like morale deciding if they'll follow orders, messengers which might get shot before they reach the officers (and both officers and messengers would be limited).

I feel this would really portray the battle mechanics of the time, and allow the player an interesting type of control which isn't often seen. They'd really feel like a general rather than 'god'.

Yus. Please see if this is possible :D

Adding onto this, perhaps have a tree object and some houses so you can eventually have forest battles and battles to capture towns.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 04:57:12 pm »

Towns could be comprised of houses each of which could be a simple block which might still make battles invovling cover very interesting.
One wheel short of a wagon

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 05:15:03 am »

Got a lot of work done today since I had nothing better to do. Campaign encounter system has started taking shape, now I just need to add more than one type of encounter, should be easy going though since I can use the first encounter as a template.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still need to add the rest of the displays, plus pretty up the encounter screen.

Have fun figuring out what any of that stuff I said means since I don't want to reveal to much so early. Oh, here's a fun fact for you, the campaign has a story.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:01 pm »

Ooooh. This is looking like it's shaping up quite well :3

I'm waiting happily for a new release :3

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 04:25:30 pm »

I found that playing while listening to this is quite enjoyable.

Also PTW

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 05:47:19 pm »

Well given the name I'm kind of expecting that we get to fight Napoleon at some point.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 07:58:03 pm »

If that were to happen, my suggestion would be to look up some of Napoleon's military tactics and have the game generate skirmishes using those.

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 08:08:50 pm »

As much as I enjoy the hype, I think I need to deflate it bit, the campaign mode actually plays a lot more like the bizarre, and slightly deformed, love child of FTL and Gratuitous Space Battles than the sort of open world thing you guys where guessing at.

It's also doesn't have anything to do with the major European powers of the time, you are a member of a minor country you've never heard of going up against another minor country you've never heard of, It's set in the Napoleonic War era and you can assume that the actual historical stuff is happening in the background, but it won't effect the fictional little corner of Europe where this game is happening.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:13:51 pm by Freak »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 11:46:13 pm »

As much as I enjoy the hype, I think I need to deflate it bit, the campaign mode actually plays a lot more like the bizarre, and slightly deformed, love child of FTL and Gratuitous Space Battles than the sort of open world thing you guys where guessing at.

It's also doesn't have anything to do with the major European powers of the time, you are a member of a minor country you've never heard of going up against another minor country you've never heard of, It's set in the Napoleonic War era and you can assume that the actual historical stuff is happening in the background, but it won't effect the fictional little corner of Europe where this game is happening.

Ah. Belgium? :P

On a serious note though, this is still interesting. Honestly, I'd love a combo of FTL and GSB. I loved the customization of GSB and the mechanics of FTL, but could never get into the latter that well.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 09:55:09 am »

This is an interesting program so far and I don't want it to be completely forgotten, especially if you can work out giving commands to officers and having units around the officer follow that officer's commands.  I feel that this is the biggest thing missing from battle simulators in general.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 06:06:08 pm »

The download link is not working.  I would love to try this out. 

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 06:39:12 am »

Thats how to make a good game out of boredom.
I wish i knew how to program.(i only know batch but hey i suck at it and its too hard to make awesomy stuff)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:41:21 am by KillerHP »
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »

This looks awesome. Requesting animated gifs of gameplay!

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 04:36:37 pm »

So after much waffling on my part I've come to a very hard decision, I've jettisoned everything I've done for the campaign so far because frankly it was kind of shit and nothing I was trying to do to fix it worked. So on the downside it's going to be awhile before I have anything playable to show you, on the bright side the replacement I've come up with may actually be something you'd want to play.

In the meantime I'm finishing up some new units so I should have a new version of the freemode up soonish.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4