Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: NEBS (Napoleonic Era Battlefield Simulator)  (Read 5918 times)

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEBS (Napoleonic Era Battlefield Simulator)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 08:36:21 pm »

This is truly amazing.

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:52 am »

I'm not ready to release the new version yet, but here's a video demonstrating the morale stuff, oh and I snazzed up the gui a bit while I was at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIj1JGpdgwk

Now if you'll excuse me I need to tweak some numbers.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 02:00:40 am »

Suggestion: Once units start shifting position, make units want to move towards a friendly officer. This will help to naturally balance the effect of morale, since more unit clumped together means that they're easier to shoot.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 11:20:45 am »

That's really nifty. Though that one guy who kept firing after the general retreat was a bit of a blockhead.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 02:53:51 pm »

Looks great but for some reason on both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome i cant actually download it?
I PTW anything that seems interesting

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 06:34:05 pm »

Oh my god yes.

I love stuff like this :3

PTW aaand a suggestion.

Have a button that randomly generates a battle? I would just love to just watch this thing go on and see what happens :3

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 12:39:34 am »

I've worked out all the kinks I could find and so the morale update is now live.
http://www.wikiupload.com/KB1KPRRSKN4XGCF

Have a button that randomly generates a battle? I would just love to just watch this thing go on and see what happens :3

Sounds easy enough to do, I'll see about adding it to the next update.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:42:43 am by Freak »

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 12:29:22 am »

Suppose I should update you on what I've been up to, the answer is research, lots and lots of research.
Apparently the era the game is set in is when field medics first became a thing. Suppose I need to come up with a way to model that now.
Survival rates where atrocious though, can't of  helped that the medics were in the habit of ripping bandages off of dead soldiers and reusing them.

I'll also say that I'm drumming out the final details of how the not yet made campaign mode will work, and that's all you're getting out of me at the moment.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:11 am »

Suppose I should update you on what I've been up to, the answer is research, lots and lots of research.
Apparently the era the game is set in is when field medics first became a thing. Suppose I need to come up with a way to model that now.
Survival rates where atrocious though, can't of  helped that the medics were in the habit of ripping bandages off of dead soldiers and reusing them.

I'll also say that I'm drumming out the final details of how the not yet made campaign mode will work, and that's all you're getting out of me at the moment.

Looting was also a common occurrence, even the English army-arguably the most well trained in the world by a large degree-was rampant with looters. So wounded soldiers were likely to be stripped of their belongings and in many cases killed.

EDIT: Also, awesome dude.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 05:23:29 pm »

PTW.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 05:36:12 pm »

PTW
One wheel short of a wagon

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 12:01:32 am »

Ok, done hashing out how the campaign works. Now it's time to start working on it I think.

Hmm, I wonder if I should tell you about it, or maybe just leave it as a surprise.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:09 am »

Tell us :3

Or not. Whatever works. Honestly, I don't care what ya do, so long as the campaign is fun :D

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 08:46:01 am »

This is awesome!!
My request/how I'd love to see this go would be for the player to be able to issue some large scale commands that the units would try to carry out - but they'd be purposefully broad.

So you couldn't move units piece by piece (like an RTS) but you'd instead give general orders that would be carried out to some degree. So you could have a list of general commands, (spread out, hold the line, skirmish, charge, etc.) which you could give to various areas of the battlefield. You could make this MORE interesting/realistic if you could only give the commands to individual officers and they'd then relay those to troops near by (with some delay). You could further build on this with things like morale deciding if they'll follow orders, messengers which might get shot before they reach the officers (and both officers and messengers would be limited).

I feel this would really portray the battle mechanics of the time, and allow the player an interesting type of control which isn't often seen. They'd really feel like a general rather than 'god'.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 04:35:08 pm »

Alright you're getting one very obscure hint in the form of a screenshot as to what I have planned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4