Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119867 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Chapter 4: On The Road.
« Reply #1350 on: July 09, 2017, 05:01:59 pm »

Cora was nodding along as Johanna said the stuff about chatting later, sample of handwriting, hand prints... all reasonable hiring precautions. Her eyebrow twitched in mild annoyance as the "life story" and "confess your sins" bits made it clear she was being messed with, but let it slide. "I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you can find a backless dress that'll fit? Any from around here would just end up showing my bum." Cora said, her tone making it clear it was an attempt at a return-joke. A bad one mind, but an attempt was made.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30:11 am »

"You must be a fan of Northern fashion-I meant the back of the neck.' Johanna said, tut tutting. "No one wants those silly collars anymore."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 14, 2017, 01:28:15 pm »

Arwen shook his head at his uncle's explanation, not really enjoying the idea of replacing Rex's soul with something else. It felt... Wrong. Criminal almost. Like turning a living person into a Golem. Well, he supposed that's exactly what it was. "If that's the case, I think Rex will be fine the way he is. Soul removal sounds a bit... dark for my comfort zone." He listened to the two women talking for a bit, and had to suppress a laugh as Joanna suggested that Cora's trustworthiness could be proven by her presence here.

"I wouldn't be so quick to make that your main way of discerning whether to trust someone, Joanna. My Uncle lets many people into his tower, mostly customers or people speaking theories...
 But there is the odd exception."
He grins a bit at his Uncle, knowing the tale was still a fresh memory from no more than three years ago, but he did not say anymore than that, for family's sake. "Joanna, wasn't there something else you wanted to discuss with my Uncle? I don't think we'll be making Rex my familiar after all..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:49 pm »

Johanna shrugged at the womans lack of reaction.

"Well, let's trade partners, then. I'll talk to your uncle, and you talk to Coral Blightlure or whatever her name is. I'm all for hiring her on. We can always kill her if she turns on us!" She commented cheerfully.

"Mr. Dwaine, my proposal is fairly straight forward. I have in my possession a magical book, which contains any amount of arcane lore pertaining to the Dragon Cult I am investigating with Arwen...unfortunately, as is often the case, this information is not easy to discern, and my time is quite limited. So I am offering you the chance to help me study it...with the idea we'll share any discoveries between us. Knowledge is not easily shared among our kind, but in this case, I feel the benefits I may gain on my journey, will prevent a dire calamity from befalling the lands. To put it lightly."

Johanna was hungry for power-she needed more. Not just power for powers sake (surely) but to untangle the Dragon Cult for good-and to keep her friends from dying or abandoning her. She needed power, and she needed it now. She had spent much of the journey to this city running her hand up and down the spine of the book, pondering. She at last had to admit its full breadth was beyond her in the time she had, and a few sleepless nights followed as she balanced her pride vs the need to know the books contents-Wizards tended to be secretive and jealous of their knowledge by nature. She had been trained by Ulcaster, however. She knew the value of teaching and learning. If her tutors had been the greedy and grasping wizards of old Faerun, they would never have made a college to teach young Wizards. Those lessons yet softened her heart.

Action: Johanna offers Dwaine a chance for research collaboration!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:56:48 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 23, 2017, 10:05:23 pm »

-snip-
Cora frowns. "I would ask you not imply that I'm some common scoundrel. I assure you I am one of those exceptions." (This is after Johanna leaves - Cora... really hadn't been certain how to react to the woman's comment.)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 24, 2017, 02:56:14 am »

Arwen shook his head at his uncle's explanation, not really enjoying the idea of replacing Rex's soul with something else. It felt... Wrong. Criminal almost. Like turning a living person into a Golem. Well, he supposed that's exactly what it was. "If that's the case, I think Rex will be fine the way he is. Soul removal sounds a bit... dark for my comfort zone."
Dwaine tuts disapprovingly. Arwen isn't quite sure if he heard or imagined a quiet voice mutter "Philistine." Judging from Dwaine's frowning glare towards a pile of magical accoutrement and debris (which includes a stuffed rat with human hands and feet, the blade of a silver dagger in clear crystal, and a bridle, reins, and saddle all made of iron) it was likely merely not Arwen's fertile imagination.
Moving along briskly, his uncle says "A shame. It would have been an interesting experiment. Perhaps another day. Is there anything further you require of me?"

"Mr. Dwaine, my proposal is fairly straight forward. I have in my possession a magical book, which contains any amount of arcane lore pertaining to the Dragon Cult I am investigating with Arwen...unfortunately, as is often the case, this information is not easy to discern, and my time is quite limited. So I am offering you the chance to help me study it...with the idea we'll share any discoveries between us. Knowledge is not easily shared among our kind, but in this case, I feel the benefits I may gain on my journey, will prevent a dire calamity from befalling the lands. To put it lightly."

Johanna was hungry for power-she needed more. Not just power for powers sake (surely) but to untangle the Dragon Cult for good-and to keep her friends from dying or abandoning her. She needed power, and she needed it now. She had spent much of the journey to this city running her hand up and down the spine of the book, pondering. She at last had to admit its full breadth was beyond her in the time she had, and a few sleepless nights followed as she balanced her pride vs the need to know the books contents-Wizards tended to be secretive and jealous of their knowledge by nature. She had been trained by Ulcaster, however. She knew the value of teaching and learning. If her tutors had been the greedy and grasping wizards of old Faerun, they would never have made a college to teach young Wizards. Those lessons yet softened her heart.
The mage stares at Johanna with a dangerous glint in his eyes, in the same way he stared at Rex not a minute ago: as if she were an intriguing new problem to be solved. His gaze dances between her, the book, and something, or somethings, unseen or imagined. After a minute of silent consideration, he begins to slowly nod, the bobbing of his head accelerating quickly. "Yes, yes, yes, I believe we do have a deal, if this is indeed what you claim it is. You would not be the first person to attempt to sell me a text of dread import; most of those were not more than fictitious illusions, wastes of my very valuable time. Hope for your sake that this is as interesting as it seems to be." Dwaine eagerly lifts the text from Johanna's hands, running the tips of his fingers across the five-headed dragon roaring on the cover. "An important reminder that even things of evil can be beautiful," he intones, with some reverence.
He begins to flip through the pages of the religious text, not pausing as he mutters things like "Exaggeration," "Off by a thousand miles south," and "Fabricated, based on a fever dream". Rarely does he pause to raise an eyebrow half an inch, and murmur "That is new."
Finally reaching the second half of the book, with rituals, notes, and diagrams, his pace slows down, brought to a halt by the cipher. "Intriguing. Your promise is genuine." With a few words, illusionary cryptographic devices spring into existence, hanging around the two mages. Thay Squares buzz Johanna's head, Amn scytale float off to the side, and Dwaine tinkers with a Calimshanian-shift cipher chart, comparing it to an illusionary version of the text that slowly begins to rewrite itself as he translates it. He waves at Johanna, indicating that she avail herself of the cryptographic amenities. They twist and turn under her touch, as if they were real. Copies of the book's pages flap like birds in the air, and, with a gesture, one falls into a dive, spooling itself out in a long string of text that wraps tightly around a scytale in her hands. It's gibberish, but it's a start.
After a grueling four days, the two have deciphered dozens of pages, including multiple potion recipes, rituals, spells, diary entries, inventories, and lots of bad dragon poetry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is still many pages left to decipher: the code becomes more and more complex as one dives deeper into the text.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:51 am »

It is no boast that dragons are the most
Greatest in the worlds
Unbeliever they will be roasted

Johanna pinched the bridge of her nose to keep herself from hurling the book in the nearby fireplace.

Still, the book had revealed some useful information, if limited by material concerns...she wondered what her allies had been up to in that four days...

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:44 pm »

Arwen chuckles, shaking his head at the girl. "My dear lady, the exceptions ARE the suspect ones. But that's fine, they're also the most fun it seems. So, tell me what has you visiting my Uncle. Last I heard his methods weren't exactly... mainstream." He gives his lizard a friendly pat on the head, more comfortable with his choice. Better a willing and able companion than whatever it was his uncle was suggesting. Soul removal? When his uncle asked, he nodded, hardly believing it had slipped his mind.

"As a matter of fact, yes! We found some eggs during out travels and were hoping you could tell us what they were from."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 30, 2017, 03:32:57 am »

"As a matter of fact, yes! We found some eggs during our travels and were hoping you could tell us what they were from."
Dwaine dons a pair of heavy leather gloves before taking the jet black eggs carefully from his nephew, gently placing them on a table. They have a long point and a rounded base, and are about a foot and a half tall. They naturally sit upright, but sway slightly, as if something was moving inside it. When they were first found, they were glass smooth, but they've become slightly pockmarked, and warped, as if from acid and heat.
"I have several suspicions, but perhaps I should defer to the expert in this field. Miss Cora, what say you?"

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 30, 2017, 07:24:13 am »

"My problems are my own - I do not mean to tell you now, as I said to your friend." Cora says to Arwen, before his uncle calls her attention - ah, a chance to show off her knowledge! She examines the eggs...

Attempt to identify the eggs - if they are dragon eggs, they are automatically identified due to Dragon Scholar.
Sigtext!

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 31, 2017, 12:15:04 pm »

Arwen chuckles, looking down at Cora with a smile on his face. "My dear lady, that's where you're wrong. You came to my uncle about it. While we may not be the closest of relatives, he is still family. Earlier, I promised my closest sister that I would wrestle and ride a dragon to her wedding to avoid missing it. It was not a jest.". He leans a bit closer, his voice dropping a bit. "If I would go that far just to visit them, what do you think I would do if one of them was hurt?" He pulls back a bit, the smile gone from his face. "I, of course, will not force you to tell me, but I tend to be the sort to go out of my way to help people. Who knows? Maybe there's something I could do to assist you as well."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 31, 2017, 03:32:32 pm »

Cora seems entirely unfazed by this. "I think you misunderstand the nature of the aid I was requesting. It was largely an issue of knowledge. I wasn't asking him to put himself in any kind of danger, and I don't intend to. So I would ask that you stop trying to intimidate me - it's not working for you, anyway." the halfling returns his gaze steadily.
Sigtext!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 31, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »

Meanwhile, back in time, Johanna looked up from the book she was about to study with Dwaine over the next four days. She called over to Cora.

"Don't mind him, he's become a bit of a pain in the arse ever since he got magic.

Arwen, settle down. A secret kept close can't be pried by force unless you wish to damage something in the process. And don't be damaging people...boy."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 01, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »

Arwen nods, taking a step back and letting out a breath. "Sorry Johanna. I'm just worried about my family is all." Not intimidating? That was a bit disappointing to hear, but maybe that just meant he shouldn't be trying. "I'm glad to hear you're not trying to put anyone else into danger, at least." With that he took a seat, giving Rex a bit of attention while waiting for Cora to identify the eggs.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 03, 2017, 02:45:58 am »

Attempt to identify the eggs - if they are dragon eggs, they are automatically identified due to Dragon Scholar.
As Cora suspected, they are Dragon eggs: Black Dragon eggs, to be precise. As with the eggs of all Chromatic Dragons, they are laid full of small worms that vie for supremacy with their hundreds of siblings, devouring the weak until only one, strong worm remains, which develops into a full Dragon. The worms can be used to create Kobolds, Drakes, and other, unspeakable things in vile rituals.
Judging from the warped surface, this egg is approximately a hundred days old, meaning that it's about a quarter of the way to hatching normally. If she had to guess, they've at least another three hundred days till they hatch, given no intervention. All Chromatic eggs can hatch without any parental care, (it's a valuable survival trait in a world with uncaring Chromatic parents) but can be sped up by meeting certain conditions. In this case, immersing the egg in a strong acid or a swamp could drastically accelerate the egg's development. With enough expense and care, development could be increased by as much as a factor of ten, cutting the remaining time to just over a month!
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 94