Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119910 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Intermission
« Reply #1275 on: September 02, 2016, 10:16:22 am »

Johanna decided she'd have to reckon the cost of a potion against her savings...along with a suitable test subject...by her own reading, the Potion would either let you breath fire, possibly make you explode, or perhaps transform you into a Dragon...it really wasn't well described.

((OOC: How much will it cost me to test the recipe I found, on a rabbit or something? Ideally, it'd be a smaller dosage to observe the effects on something totally expendable, tho it might also be a thrown weapon of some sort-hence the testing, since I have no idea what it actually does. Otherwise, what's the exact cost of a full potion? Should I care about the exact ingredients, in case I can save gold by gathering them myself, or are they just fluff I don't need to worry about?))

Afterwards, she decided to visit the local herbmaker-her advice would be helpful in potion making, procuring ingredients and perhaps other things.

It had weighed on her mind-with Mirella's departure, they had not a whit of magiomedical knowledge among them. Given Arwens frankly suicidal combat style-Johanna had thought that in a world without magic, the boy would have been killed or crippled a hundred times over before now-and, Adriks love of charging into battle armored in his robe-she often wondered why he didn't wear any armor, since all members of a Mountain Dwarf clan were trained in wearing armor-they had need of someone to keep them all alive.

She doubted the Apothecary was the adventuring type, but maybe the lure of easy gold, and a chance to see new lands and gather rare ingredients could coax her or others to accompany the party to supply them with healing potions over what was looking to become a lengthy campaign-Mirella could even watch the store and learn herblore, until she returned. Or perhaps she had an adventurous young trainee alchemist who would love to accompany them...well, If there was anyone available, the town healer would know.

Action: Johanna alters her plans somewhat, heading to the apothecary with the time she has before lunch-possibly for ingredients, what she thinks of this potion, and for advice on finding a replacement healer/alchemist who could travel with us. P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 02, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »

The priest rocks back on his heels, thinking for a moment. Adrik is a puzzling case. A half-elf with random splotches of white scales who talks like a Dwarf? A man with the muscles of a day-laborer, but the chiseled face of royalty and the smell of fresh ice?
What are you supposed to do with a man like him?
"Stop me if I am mistaken, but you've the blood of dragons in your veins, don't you boy? I've spent my fair share of time around adventurers, I know a mage when I see one. Have you considered infusing your spells onto a scroll? Scrolls saved me more than once, back in my day."
"Ach, indeed.  't makes sense.  I dinnae kno' how I dinnae think o' tha' before...Thankye.  T'will be useful."

Scrolls!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:15:28 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 04, 2016, 12:52:49 am »

Johanna:
((A small sample potion can be easily made with the contents of a spell component pouch, i.e. free, but a full potion requires a more significant investment of 20 gold.))

The apothecarian, a young halfling woman, looks over the instructions and ingredients, and shoots Johanna a confused look. "Who gave you this, ma'am? Condy's Crystals, Esters of Glycerol, mixed with water and rock oil, then drunk immediately? This will probably kill you, or stain your pants badly, depending on how much Esters of Glycerol you put in."
(Persuasion Check: 17+2)
"That sounds like a great deal, ma'am! I've no magic, but I've my potions, and they'll keep you alive come hell or high water. Portia Greenbottle, at your service! I'll be ready to leave when you are, ma'am! We'll talk about pay later."

Adrik:
Adrik finds a quiet desk in the keep, lays out some paper and ink, and prepares to scribe a scroll. But what spell should he put to paper? He knows Ray of Frost, True Strike, Prestidigitation, Light, Mending, Detect Magic, Ice Knife, Magic Missile, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, and Misty Step. Perhaps he could ask Johanna or Arwen for one of their spells.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 04, 2016, 10:41:05 am »

Detect Magic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 04, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »

Johanna:
((A small sample potion can be easily made with the contents of a spell component pouch, i.e. free, but a full potion requires a more significant investment of 20 gold.))

The apothecarian, a young halfling woman, looks over the instructions and ingredients, and shoots Johanna a confused look. "Who gave you this, ma'am? Condy's Crystals, Esters of Glycerol, mixed with water and rock oil, then drunk immediately? This will probably kill you, or stain your pants badly, depending on how much Esters of Glycerol you put in."
(Persuasion Check: 17+2)
"That sounds like a great deal, ma'am! I've no magic, but I've my potions, and they'll keep you alive come hell or high water. Portia Greenbottle, at your service! I'll be ready to leave when you are, ma'am! We'll talk about pay later."

"Well I was sure it would kill something, just not sure if it was also the imbiber...would you say this potion might be more in the 'bottle it up carefully and toss it at some unlucky fool' category?

...Also, glad to have you on board! I expected it might be a bit more difficult than that, but it's clear you're very eager. We leave in two days-so make sure your estate is order. You may not return when you expect to, if any of us do at all."

She wondered what made Portia so eager to escape from, that she would jump at the chance for adventure, along with the probable fortune and potential death that came along with it without a moments hesitation...Johanna also thought the name sounded vaguely familiar, but she couldn't quite place it. Weren't the Greenbottles some sort of famous brewing family...?

Well, all that aside, it was certainly a relief to have someone skilled in potion making. Johanna reconsidered cursing some poor woodland creature with the results of her own potion, though she might find a use for it after all...

"One last bit of business-Mirella asked me to give you these. From what I understand, you two had a business arrangement of some sort-she's been quite busy lately!" Johanna said, taking a fairly large satchel from her belt.

Jo first took out a glass jar bound with acid-proof paper. She briefly observed the creepy crawlies inside with a look of dislike as they munched on old fruit peels. "That'll be Horned Slugs." She said, remembering that they had been a constant annoyance in her garden plots back home, chewing on the Blushrose bushes she had kept. Many of her first forays into offense magic had been against this particular pest.

Next she carefully took a roundish, vaguely bread shaped object tightly wrapped in heavy cloth and passed it to the side-it had a skull shaped insignia on it, clearly labeled as... "Violent Fungus cap. My da said, 'Purple or tan, get the cooking pan-violet or black, throw it back!' Though in this case, you'd be terribly poisoned even by touching it, so I really question that particular bit of wisdom."

Next, a pile of what looked like little irregular shaped grey stones in a wide glass bottle. Some of the stones seemed to have crushed flecks of metal or cloth in them... "Uh, Roper Dung? An amazing survival adaptation, however-leavings nearly indistinguishable from the environment they live in. Makes it a lot easier to hide."

Then she took out a wooden box with holes, and rattled it (it made a crackly sound, like bones), followed by an ordinary green flask of clear looking liquid with a cork stopper.
"Cave cricket legs-have to keep them dry, I figured, yet aired out. And Stalactite Water, which I'm guessing has certain minerals you find useful."

Finally, she merely took out the Petrified cobwebs apart-they were tough enough you didn't have to store them in anything, and laid it on the front desk with a slight thump.

((OOC: Yes, I'm finishing Mirella's quest for us :P We went to all the trouble to get that stuff, after all.))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:10:50 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 04, 2016, 02:37:59 pm »

Arwen takes the blade, taking out five platinum piece and laying them on the counter. "These will work, right?" He didn't have any of those bars... Maybe he'd look into getting some. "And who can I get to do the resharpening? Any smith, or specific ones?" It'd be important that his sword always be in good form...

For shopping, Arwen will head to the Apothecary. He's heard his uncle speak wonders of potions, perhaps a few on hand would help his group?

The man he's looking for is the one who started his own company, Arwen wants to hear more of his story.

The book is very interesting, and he asks that it be kept aside for him, as he'll be back after he eats to read a bit more. "That could have been how it happened... But why would he not simply subdue he and send her away? Why is it always KILL with the gods...."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 05, 2016, 12:55:41 am »

Adrik:

Adrik takes an hour to scribe a scroll of Detect Magic. His pot of ink will need refilling, which will probably be expensive.

Johanna:

"AH! Wonderful! I'll get started on some more powerful potions for you. Is there anything you'd like specifically?"
((I must say, I admire your tenacity!))

Arwen:

"They'll do just fine, thank you." The apprentice glances over their shoulder, and lowers their voice. "Now, the boss'll give you a few names, but they'll overcharge you. Any smith'll do, but you could even do it yourself, if you've some training."

The Apothecary is staffed by a young halfling woman, looking slightly bored at racks of vials, occasionally stewing a pot, boiling over a crackling fire in the back of the shop. She perks up a little when she sees a customer. "What can I do for you, sir?"

Governor Nighthill, who spoke briefly about his adventures last night, is currently in meetings, and unavailable to speak, an aid reports. Perhaps this evening?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 06, 2016, 09:07:16 am »

Johanna:

"AH! Wonderful! I'll get started on some more powerful potions for you. Is there anything you'd like specifically?"
((I must say, I admire your tenacity!))

"Well, I don't know the limits of what you can do, so I'll leave that mostly up to you...that being said, I've two specific requests.

First, I've heard a certain potion that provides a solid defense against unnatural types of foes with strong cosmic alignments-inhibiting both their physical and supernatural capabilities. Mirella implied she had some idea of of how to work this spell, though she never had a chance to show us directly..."

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Spells:Protection%20from%20Evil%20and%20Good#h-Protection%20from%20Evil%20and%20Good

"Secondly, while I don't consider myself or my allies cowardly, it stands to reason we may eventually end up facing more Dragonkind, much like the one who attacked Greenest. Though hopefully not as big. Eventually, we may need to concoct elemental defenses against specific types of breath weapons, but to start we need to counter their greatest weapon-fear.

You know Dragons evince powerful emotional auras, naturally...my teacher said it was inherent to the personality of each Dragon-by their mere presence, chromatic Dragons tend to cause terror and panic, as you no doubt saw during the siege yourself. Hardened men and women reduced to cowering husks by the beat of a Dragons wings! ...It's interesting-Goodly Metallic Dragonkind have much the same ability, though their presence is called 'Awe'-instead of base fear, it inspires a desire for somewhat harsh self introspection and soul searching...which works much the same as fear, for those who are evil and cruel...but, I digress!

...So, I was thinking a little liquid courage could steel our nerves against such threats-though to be honest, there's plenty to be afraid of otherwise, and I'd rather be prepared for any eventuality."

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Heroism#h-Heroism

((OOC: Chemical Bards and Clerics ftw? :P ))
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:09:20 am by Dwarmin »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 06, 2016, 09:09:25 am »

Well, he, um, does that?
Sigtext

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 06, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »

Arwen nods, thanking the young apprentice for his wisdom. "Noted. I'll see if I can't teach myself about that then..."

With that, he moves onto the apothecary. He smiles to the Halfling, moving towards her. "I'm looking for potions. Mostly those that would assist a group of adventurers. I'm mostly window shopping now, as I'd like to consult the wizard of our group before I spend any of our gold, but if you have any suggestions I'd LOVE to hear them!" Showing that he's not a fool should speed things along nicely, and purchasing them later should make sure he doesn't overpay.

As for the Governor, perhaps they'll have a chance to talk at dinner.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 07, 2016, 12:26:33 am »

Johanna:

"Neither of those should be a problem, ma'am. That's very forward thinking of you; better to never get hurt than to heal your wounds, an old friend once said. Can I interest you in some healing potions too, on the off chance the plan doesn't quite work out?"

Adrik:

Indeed he does! One would suppose that the better way to put that is: what would he like to do next?

Arwen:

"My suggestions would be healing potions: more than you think you'll ever need, because it's better to be poor and alive than it is to be rich and dead. I can get you a competitive rate on orders of five or more. Potions of Resistance, Climbing, Growth and Water Breathing will cover your bases. You'll be set to do almost anything with that spread. Would you like me to get started on those for you?"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 07, 2016, 06:59:12 am »

Good question.  He explores, then, I guess.
Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 07, 2016, 09:37:54 am »

"Neither of those should be a problem, ma'am. That's very forward thinking of you; better to never get hurt than to heal your wounds, an old friend once said. Can I interest you in some healing potions too, on the off chance the plan doesn't quite work out?"

"Given that you're coming with us, I was willing to put it off-but yes, we need to fully restock our party with healing potions-three of us, right now. To your credit, we used nearly all of them to decent effect.

And with that, I believe I should leave you to your work-unless you have anything else to speak to me of."

Action: Time to go on with my day!

With that, he moves onto the apothecary. He smiles to the Halfling, moving towards her. "I'm looking for potions. Mostly those that would assist a group of adventurers. I'm mostly window shopping now, as I'd like to consult the wizard of our group before I spend any of our gold, but if you have any suggestions I'd LOVE to hear them!" Showing that he's not a fool should speed things along nicely, and purchasing them later should make sure he doesn't overpay.

*timey wimey ball*

Johanna spoke to Arwen at lunch, or possibly whenever.

"Listen up boy, potions are useful, but not a true replacement for the arcane arts."

She handed him some heavy and boring looking magic books.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Rules:Spells%20by%20Level#content

"Magical potions of the Arcana Terra Mani-or the '3rd level', in laymans terms-and less than that have, by degrees, been mastered into the form of distillation from relatively common materials-though it varies these days. Much of the knowledge we had isn't lost-it's just useless.

We've managed to recreate most of the Arcana Fata Mulad-that is, '1st level' spells-in potion form. You take a look at these books, and figure what powers you think are most useful, see if she has them for sale. After that, potions get rarer and more expensive. Still, the 2nd level (Arcana Aquae Svada) and 3rd have their own specific recipes-such as water walking and invisibility-that are more or less available, if you can get the stuff for them, and if she has the skill to make them.

Anything past the 3rd level of magic is pure guesswork...up to the skill and ingenuity, or possibly madness, of the brewer. In any case, something like that will it'll require increasingly complicated reagents, and comes with possible side effects. For example, a Potion of Arcane eye-it does exactly what you'd imagine it does-requires the harvest of an actual eye from a creature with uniocular vision, like a Nothic, Beholder, or a Cyclops-that is, a one-eyed creature. Naturally, depending on the power of the ingredient, you can get a lesser or greater effect-or none at all. You'd surely need more than one Nothic to make a single potion, but a Cyclops would probably net you two or three of them if you were careful...incidentally, Nothic's tend to rot your flesh off your body when they look at you, and one of the most common side effects of collecting Cyclops parts is getting squished with a giant club.

You'll have to ask her for specifics-I'll admit, potions weren't my strongest subject in college. I always enjoyed crafting magical artifacts more-my natural skills go more toward the artifice of living stone, than brewing some goop in a cauldron.

I'm working on something I call the 'Bracer of Shielding' today-or possibly a belt-that will help defend from attacks...

You could wear one too, I suppose. We'll see if the research pans out."

Johanna went back to her notes. The design was extremely complicated, to say the least-even if the spell was fairly well known to her.

Her early notes seemed to imply that it would end up requiring the braiding of various leathers, cloths and rare metals in exact proportions, and a collection of precisely cut minerals (both gems and rare stones), to form a stable arcane circuit. Such a circuit would allow for latent collection and recycling of magical energy from the users body over time-this was the basis of most magical artifacts, and why they tended to be ringlike-thus powering the defensive magics, either on command or perhaps a in-built trigger, such as weakening life force or knowledge of an impending attack...

She also decided the buckles should be dragon-shaped, with mouth-clamp jaws, just for literary symmetry.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:23:33 am by Dwarmin »

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 07, 2016, 09:12:27 pm »

Arwen thought a moment. He wasn't fully sure WHAT his new magic could do without more experimentation, but being able to heal and breathe underwater would be good... He'd stick with those for now. "How much for ten each of the Healing and Water Breathing potions? Those are probably the ones I'll be using the most..."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 09, 2016, 01:55:22 am »

Adrik:
Adrik wanders the town for a while, watching life go by in a human settlement. It's an interesting intellectual exercise, noting the differences between a Dwarven settlement, and this rather integrated town. A Halfling lass and a Dwarven lad chase after a boy (with rather pointy ears for a Human), who is running as fast as his little legs can carry him, cackling all the way. An Elven woman bickers over the price of bread with the human baker, while next door, a young half-orc tries not to stare at the passing young women from behind the butcher's storefront. How quickly the wounds of raids seem to heal.
Eventually, Adrik's Dwarven instincts kick in, and lead him to a tavern. The air smells vaguely of stale beer, the stool rocks uneasily, but the booze is strong and cheap. Before he can order a drink, a small figure climbs up the stool next to him. It's the Lord Underborough, looking much better after a proper meal and a good nights rest. He smiles widely, "Adrik, no? Fancy seeing you here! Let me get you a drink! Ard! Get this man a drink!" The barkeep nods, and pulls out tankard, looking at Adrik expectantly for his order.
While the barkeep fixes Adrik a drink, the Lord Underborough puts a small, ragged book on the bar. "I wanted to thank you for rescuing me from the horrid place, again. Sorry about that dreadful Lord Underborough nonsense." He turns a slight shade of red when he brings it up, but forges on, "Miro Millbridge, Playwright and Skald Extraordinaire! Pleasure to make your acquaintance properly!"

Johanna:
Johanna sits down to design a Bracer of Shielding.
(Arcana (Hour 1): 19+6, Success! 2 Successes, 0 Failures!)
Magic item creation is a taxing and arduous process, not to mention expensive. It's the primary reason most are... "hand-me-downs".
(Arcana (Hour 2): 9+6, No Progress! 2 Successes, 0 Failures!)
But to make it from scratch? With nothing more than an idea? It's an upward struggle, and there's no guarantee the final product will deliver.
(Arcana (Hour 3): 6+6, Failure! 2 Successes, 1 Failures!)
Johanna's going a bit faster than is really recommended (it normally would take days, if not weeks to design a magical item, but she doesn't have days), and it's starting to show when she spends an hour working on a dead end. End result: confirmation that while bronze may look nice with the rest of the design, it is far too weak to hold the enchantments. Other results: a raised temper and a wasted spell.
(Arcana (Hour 4): 10+6, No progress! 2 Successes, 1 Failures!)
To avoid wasting more spells today, Johanna runs the mathemagical numbers again on steel, but gets lost in tension strength measurements, as she doesn't have access to the extensive engineering library at Ulcaster.
(Arcana (Hour 5): 4+6, Failure! 2 Successes, 2 Failures!)
After the fruitless steel calculations, Johanna decides to risk it, and burns a spell off into enchanting the steel plate she's using. When she smacks it with her hammer to test if the defensive spell worked, the steel seizes up, crushing itself into a small ball of metal.
With that a resounding failure, she puts away her research materials, and turns back to Identifying the artifacts recovered.
Spoiler: Arwen's Helmet (click to show/hide)
Johanna's tome reads only as a spellbook, but Johanna knows that's not the end of its secrets...

Arwen:
The apothecarian whistles between her teeth. "You're looking for ten Water Breathing potions? Are you going to be raiding a water temple? That's an expensive order. I don't know if I even have the materials for that. We'd be looking at... probably a thousand gold. Ten healing potions are at least another five hundred." She raises an eyebrow, eying up Arwen, and his possible wallet size.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 94