Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119900 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Intermission
« Reply #1260 on: August 21, 2016, 01:14:12 am »

Adrik returns the nod, a practiced inflection showing his gratitude.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 21, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »

"That sounds like an decent challenge! I could certainly help with that. My illusions are actually quite a bit too powerful to be used for such a minor task, but as long you keep the meeting under an hour-I can only hold them so long-it should be fine. I can use the time to tune my finer touch illusion techniques, something I've been meaning to get around to...

When and where do you need me?"

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 21, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »

Arwen chuckles, a bit embarrassed of being praised so highly. He scratches the back of his black hair, shaking his head. "Nothing so grand, I'm afraid. My parents are bakers by trade. Turns out I can't bake at all, so I joined the town guard. My uncle is a Wizard, though, but I don't know that fighting runs in the family." He took a sip of his drink, looking to the other man curiously. "And what about you? You must have seen your fair share of battles. Where was your beginning?"

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 22, 2016, 01:16:06 pm »

"I see," Mirella said, contemplative.  "I am afraid I cannot make too many promises without actually meeting both of them, but I can certainly take your concerns under advisement should I meet your grandson.  It seems your objection is to the woman he wishes to marry; if it would not be presuming too much, may I ask why?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 25, 2016, 12:35:59 am »

Johanna: "I am delighted to hear that you're up to the task! I have an appointment with my Portraitist at nine tomorrow. Make sure to prepare something that will look good on me in red." He leans in, grinning. "You are going to make me look fabulous, darling."

Arwen: "A baker's son. That's a humble beginning for an adventurer. You've gone farther than anyone would have guess, I reckon. Here's to your future!" Nighthill pulls a flask from his coat, and pours it into his and Arwen's cups. "What made you leave the guard?"
"I was an adventurer, much like you. With a sword in my hand, family friends in high places, and a head full of dreams of adventure, I founded a company... but that's a story for another night. Tonight is for you, my friend!"

Mirella: The couple exchange a downcast and frustrated glance.
"He's not of legal age, I don't thi-"
"She deserves the truth, dear. The father of the girl who's won our grandson's heart is sitting in this very keep's dungeon for fraud. We're just looking out for Jacob. We don't want him to be blinded by 'love' while she drains his fortune. She's nothing by trouble for him; can you help us?"

Even the Lord Underborough is pushed to share his story. With a gracious sigh, he climbs to his feet, standing on the already tall chair, but is still only barely visible over the spread.
"As I was telling the lovely Mrs. White," he gestures to the wealthy widower to his left, who blushes behind her white gloved hand, "I have little memories of recent events. I was cruelly kidnapped by the vile cultists that so harshly harassed this beautiful town, and almost feed to dragon-hounds whole being kept bound and on the edge of starvation and dehydration for days," he pauses for effect, allowing for the audience to gasp. When only Mrs. White does, he continues, with nothing but a small flicker in his jolly expression to show his disappointment. "And so, I have no particularly engaging story of heroics and derring-do to retell from the depths of that hellhole. But, perhaps I can share an old melody I learned from a wandering monk devoted to Shaundakul." A lyre is brought in, and the castellan, an dwarf in his hundred and fifties, picks out a lonely, keening melody on the strings.

"Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

The Road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet."

The halfling's quite good with song, for a noble.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 25, 2016, 07:34:09 am »

Adrik bows his head in solemnity.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 25, 2016, 08:46:34 am »

Johanna: "I am delighted to hear that you're up to the task! I have an appointment with my Portraitist at nine tomorrow. Make sure to prepare something that will look good on me in red." He leans in, grinning. "You are going to make me look fabulous, darling."

"I've got just the thing in mind..." She said, setting her mind to the task. Waterdeep was the most powerful city, perhaps in all of Faerun-this seasons fall fashion should be good enough. Johanna didn't care much about fashion, really, but she had compartmentalized it in her mind like many other things. As noble blood, you had to look good, even if you were functionally incapable of anything else.

She knew traditional colors this year were dark red and black, inlaid with real gold-gold was big this year, on account of it's relative rarity due to the previously harsh Northern winter that had shut down trading Northern routes for almost six months. So then start with, a long overcoat with a high collar, extending halfway to the knees-Northern weather tended to cold and rainy, and even the Waterdhavian nobles had enough sense to value comfort over style, add a smoke colored four-buckled vest, and tied off with a crimson red cravat, usually made of silk imported from Kara-tur (For the yearly fashion, 'foreign exotic' was in). It had the advantage of framing the face, distracting from a portly belly, or a set of weak shoulders. Noble fashion changed, but the people they were never did.

And of course, definitely not gemstones, those were sorely out of style, she thought-taking a weary look at the mans ridiculously outdated peaked gemstone+turban combo. He had even added a feather, she thought with horror. Not even mentioning no one had worn a Turban since the Shadovar wizard Noble had filled a Berduskan opera house with a rain of summoned poison snakes, over a spurned suitor, something that was considered very rude.

Spoiler: Idea (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:46 pm »

Arwen chuckles, taking a swig from his cup. "I felt that adventure way out there for me... and here it is, I suppose. I'm still worried about the dragon that flew away... I think I'll try to convince everyone to visit my uncle." He nods, taking another drink. "Tomorrow we'll talk about your company. You've got me curious now."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 29, 2016, 01:09:07 am »

[I'm going to take the liberty of fast forwarding to the next day.]

The governor offers beds in the keep's guest rooms, which are graciously accepted. After a filling breakfast, everyone has a full day ahead of them. Brother Cain wanders off, and a farmer later claims that she sold the elf a horse. Mirella tenders her resignation to Johanna, and joins Eadyan Falconmoon, helping rebuild the town, supporting those who have lost everything. She seems happy, having found her calling.

Everyone's got two days off, full of things to do-or will be soon. What are your plans for the day?
Spoiler: Schedule (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:51 am »

Here, I hope this works.

Time   
7 AM   Breakfast
8 AM   Studying Evil Book Pt.1 (looking for anything I can actually use)
9 AM   Portrait sitting
10 AM Portrait sitting
11 AM Portrait sitting?
12 PM Writing all the junk in the 2nd post (part 1, Read below)         
1 PM   Lunch
2 PM   Writing all the junk in the 2nd post (part 2, mostly letters to my allies and contacts in the Lords Alliance)      
3 PM   Magic Research (Trying to figure out how I can build an artifact that uses the SHIELD spell into a belt or bracer or something. Ideally for my self and allies.)      
4 PM   Magic Research (Continued!)      
5 PM   Magic Research (Continued!)      
6 PM   Magic Research (Continued!)      
7 PM   Magic Research  (Continued!)      
8 PM   Identify Ritual (Use the Identify Spell on all the items we found-including the book-ritual wise will cost nothing but time. I can identify about 6 items an hour, which should cover all of them.)            
9 PM   Dinner
10 PM Studying Evil Book Pt2 (For sweet dreams)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:04 am »

Time   Adrik   
7 AM   Breakfast
8 AM   Maybe talk to this Eadyan Falconmoon
9 AM   Locket investigation, continued
10 AM   ???
11 AM   ???
12 PM   ???
1 PM   Lunch
2 PM   (etc., will be filled in when figured out.)
3 PM   
4 PM   
5 PM   
6 PM   
7 PM   
8 PM   
9 PM   Dinner
10 PM   
Sigtext

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:42 am »

Time   Arwen
7 AM   Breakfast   
8 AM   Blacksmith to reclaim his blade.
9 AM   Blacksmith or shopping
10 AM Speak to the man from last night
11 AM Read books on magic
12 PM Read books on magic
1 PM   Lunch   
2 PM   TBD
3 PM         
4 PM         
5 PM         
6 PM         
7 PM         
8 PM         
9 PM   Dinner
10 PM         

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:48 pm »

(An FYI: I'm going to settle most of these with simple skill checks and lore/exposition dumps, just because that's easier than back and forth RP. After lunch will follow soon.)

Johanna:

8 AM:
(Intelligence Check to decipher Evil Book: 1+4)
Half the text is a heavily ciphered mess of incomprehensible diagrams and unreadable figures. It's hard work, but the cipher starts to break under Johanna's keen mind, and the secrets of the Dragon Cult begin to spill out, free to hijack and weaponize for the forces of the Lord's Alliance. Know thy enemy, and all that.
The first of many secrets is a potion that will "boil fyre from thy belly, scalding the foes of Thee Dragon Queen". It doesn't seem too difficult to create; the ingredients, while expensive, aren't too uncommon, and the process should only take an hour, at most.

9 AM:
Johanna is waiting outside the door of her patron (whose name she realized she missed) in the chill winter's wind (perhaps furs would be a good investment?) when the nine o'clock bell rings, and is promptly invited inside by a butler. They've a rather nice house, if a bit heavy on the carpets and tapestries, Johanna notes, before it finally clicks; the tapestries are to hide the damage and burglary from a few nights ago.
She is led to a study, where a wiry, strungout-looking woman is setting up her easel and paints over a white sailcloth to protect the luxurious hardwood. Her patron is sitting on a padded stool, looking off into the middle distance with a self-important expression when she enters. His eyes snap to her, and a quick smile graces his face. He gestures to a similar stool off to the side. Johanna takes it, and makes small talk with her client and the painter while she finishes her preparations. She picks up the client's name, (Mr. Voclain) during that. The painter strikes her as a talented, but exceptionally nervous young person. Slowly, the conversation transfers into painting, but not before Mr. Voclain turns down Johanna's original outfit, and dismissing another three before settling back on the first one.
(Arcana Check: 14+6)
Johanna maintains a simple illusion of high fashion using continual reapplication of Minor Illusion, which does the deed well enough, but is sorely lacking in the fine detail of more taxing spells. When the portraitist requests that detail, she switches over seamlessly to Silent Image, matching the illusion so closely to Mr. Voclain's slightest movements, the clothes are almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
Johanna's well paid after the three hours; 25 more Golden Lions jingle in her purse. Mr. Voclain gives her a letter to pass onto a reliable tailor in a city, if she passes through one.

Adrik:
The elderly half-elf is minding the temple when Adrik enters. He smiles kindly, "Welcome, traveler. What can I do for you? The temple is ope-"
He stops, realization spreading across his face.
"Ah! You must be Adrik, that adventurer! Escobert told me you would be coming around."
The priest's eyes drift to Adrik's amulet, and sparkle with interest.
"And this must be why you came. Well, it's a simple enough answer; you won't find Elven silver smiths of that skill anywhere outside of Elven lands-beside the guilds of Waterdeep."
His smile fades, replaced by a somber expression. "Escobert told me what you're looking for. Be careful when dealing with the guilds; they have long memories and longer grudges. If your parents were members, someone would remember them. Sorry, but that's all I can tell you of it."
The smile returns, and he asks "Is there anything else you need my help with?"

Arwen:

The blacksmith is busy today, apprentices running around frantically, the bellows already hot and pumping hard, and the sound of metal on metal rings out across the neighborhood. If a kobold knocks his eyes out next, Arwen reckons, at least he'll be able to find the blacksmith to sell his gear.
A rather bored, yet tense apprentice is manning the counter today, and eagerly helps Arwen. The total cost for tempering the blade comes out to 50 Gold, payable in Golden lions or Baldur's Gate-minted Trade Bars. The apprentice retrieves the sword from the back, and lays in on the counter, wrapped in thick leather. Unwrapping it, the apprentice reveals a beautiful, almost brand new sword. The grip has been rewrapped in shagreen, and the pommel polished to a shine. But the blade itself is the main attraction. It's been completely reforged, tempered in the center a silver-blue and on the edges to a golden-straw like color, with the cutting edges sharpened to razors. The apprentice explains that the blade will soon dull, and require professional resharpening, but for a few battles, it's an especially deadly weapon.
There are several different shops in town that Arwen could peruse, ranging from an apothecary, a market where various farmers and hunters are hawking their goods, a tailor, and a stable. Which would he like to patronize?
There were many men at dinner last night, Arwen will have to be more specific.
(Intelligence Check: 8+2)
The closest thing this town has to a library is the governor's study, which holds a handful of books about magic. One Arwen picks up is a rather lengthy and dry text about the history magic.
Spoiler: LOREDUMP (click to show/hide)
(Intelligence Check: 20+2)
It took Arwen an hour to get through half of the first part, but it was a long slog; he hasn't sat down and read a book in ages. After all, reading is a muscle like any other, and he forgot to stretch before going in. He rubs his blearly eyes, and gets ready to start in earnest.
Spoiler: LOREDUMP (click to show/hide)
At this point, lunch is about to begin, and Arwen forces himself to put down the book, leaving the fate of Mystra, the Weave, and magic in the world for later.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 01, 2016, 11:42:09 pm »

"'tis more than I had before.  I thank you.

Honestly, I could use something to do.  The rest of the party are occupied with their own projects and I'm kind of...Left hanging, if I may use a turn of phrase.  Have you any recommendations?"
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 01, 2016, 11:54:14 pm »

The priest rocks back on his heels, thinking for a moment. Adrik is a puzzling case. A half-elf with random splotches of white scales who talks like a Dwarf? A man with the muscles of a day-laborer, but the chiseled face of royalty and the smell of fresh ice?
What are you supposed to do with a man like him?
"Stop me if I am mistaken, but you've the blood of dragons in your veins, don't you boy? I've spent my fair share of time around adventurers, I know a mage when I see one. Have you considered infusing your spells onto a scroll? Scrolls saved me more than once, back in my day."
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 94