Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119873 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Chapter 3: Dragon Hatchery
« Reply #1065 on: February 08, 2016, 02:44:26 pm »

Adrik had used most of his meat to help with the drakes, but he's able to find just one more piece of jerky. With no other target for his cantrip than his jerky, Adrik casts his spell on the strip of meat before tossing it into the air. There, it gets snatched out of midair by a tentacle that stuffs the meat into the Roper's gullet. As it gnashes on the jerky, ghastly shadows of long, serrated teeth play on the wall, before the light finally vanishes, the jerky finally swallowed.

(Johanna's Persuasion: 15+2)
The creature clearly doesn't speak Common, but it does speak the universal language of "I have food, don't eat me." It unceremoniously dumps Mirella on the ground in favor of snatching the wizardess's lunch, dinner and breakfast.
Mirella, for her part, lands safely in the darkness, the drop doing little more than surprising her. Her vision is mostly black, only hearing the sound of sniffling animals directly in front of her, and seeing Johanna up on the ledge shouting at the Roper.

Spoiler: Initiative: (click to show/hide)
It is Arwen's turn.
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Map.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 08, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »

Arwen slings another firebolt, having not been told to stop trying to kill the thing that's trying to kill them. In addition, he can't see shit.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 09, 2016, 05:42:32 am »

Try various languages.  Prepare to dodge.
"Can you understand this?"
Also, to Arwen:
"I think we're trying diplomacy!"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:22:13 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 09, 2016, 08:20:49 am »

Mirella fell into the darkness.  Lacking Magic Missile, she instead opted for the next best thing.

Cast Light on the shield

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:01 am »

Action: Prepare to firebolt the drakes that are about to attack Mirella!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 10, 2016, 09:14:40 am »

Johanna saw Arwen about to doom them all (again).

"Hold your fire, boy!  We've pacified that tentacled thing for a moment, don't get it riled up again. Mirella's about to run into some lizard dogs that need it more. Mirella's probably have a light up in a moment, so just hold it!"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 12, 2016, 06:23:50 pm »

Arwen moves to the edge of the ledge, and peers in, pulling his shield close to his chest, taking the Dodge action.

Mirella whispers a prayer, and her shield glows with moonlight, revealing two oversized lizards, with scales as black as night, scattering the moonlight in all directions. The drakes smile grotesquely, and lunge.

(Drake 1's Multiattack vs. Mirella: 24, 16, One Success, One Failure! 5 damage!)
(Drake 1's Multiattack vs. Mirella: 10, 21, One Success, One Failure! 9 damage!)
One drake manages to snake its way past Mirella's defenses, piercing through the chainmail, while the other one batters the cleric with its heavy tail, knocking the wind out of her. The bite stings

The roper, newly illuminated, looks towards Adrik when he goes through Dwarvish. Perhaps a word there resonated with it?
In a gravelly voice, it says "Urgha kunn udos." Johanna, Mirella and Adrik recognize that last work, Udos. It's Dwarven for 'Man', normally used to refer to dwarven men specifically. The rest of the language is unintelligible.

(Johanna's Spell Attack vs. Drake 1, at Disadvantage: 16 14+6, Success! 5 damage!)
The bright light from Mirella's spell reflects in dizzying patterns over the entire room, and when Johanna tries to aim, her spell almost goes wide, but the flames still splash across the drake's scales.

It is Arwen's turn.
Map.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:51 pm »

Diplomacy!

Adrik's native accent breaks through.
<Dwarven>
"I kin sorta understan' ye.  Can ye understan' me?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 16, 2016, 07:38:03 am »

Arwen keeps his defenses up!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 16, 2016, 09:42:51 am »

"Oooh...drat.  It's been such a 'pleasant' day thus far."  Mirella started to take a step back as the bite began to ache badly, recalling what she knew about the bite of a drake, but saw the bound elf beside her as well in the illumination from her shield.  Instead, she stepped forward, bringing her quarterstaff down at the nearest drake.

Attack drake with quarterstaff
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:44:41 am by Culise »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 16, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »

Arwen, still fearful of the tendrils from the dark, keeps his defenses up.

(Mirella's Attack: 7+5, Failure!)
Mirella's swing contacts the drake's tough hide, but the beast shrugs off the attack.

(Drake 1's Multiattack vs. Mirella: 11, 7, One Failure, One CRITICAL FAILURE!)
(Drake 2's Multiattack vs. Mirella: 22, 20, Two Successes! 14 damage!)
One drake lunges forward, and looses its grip on the slippery cavern floor, its feet slipping out from underneath them. The other mauls and batters Mirella.
(Mirella's Con Save vs. Festering Wound: 9+3, Failure! 6 damage!)
The bite that the drake gave her just a few moments ago sears with a roaring pain from the drake's caustic saliva, and she blacks out.

(Attempt to communicate: 15+5)
The roper looks quizzically at Adrik, and grumbles out in broken Dwarven, "Âm kez udos."
Spoiler: Dwarven. (click to show/hide)

It is Johanna's turn.
Map.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 16, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »

"...You scaly fiends!

We need to get her out of there!"

She pushed the cowering Arwen aside and leaped into the pit, her body blurring as she began a spell-cast. She doubted she could do much to them, but her magical defenses were pretty much intact-she could probably take some blows...and distract them, for a little while.

Action: Heroically jump into the pit, and cast blur on myself! Then move and try to distract the Drakes as long as I can, protecting Mirella's body from being nommed. Use shield if I take more than 5 HP damage (past any bonus Hp and arcane ward I have)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 16, 2016, 05:31:32 pm »

Mirella grunted as pain lanced through her, the wound bubbling out.  Her armor dented and cracked, she dropped to her knees, barely holding herself up by her quarterstaff.  "Sorry...I couldn't...save anyone..." she managed to force out, just loud enough for the elf beside her to hear, before collapsing forward. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 16, 2016, 05:48:07 pm »

(Falling damage: 3 damage! Absorbed by her Arcane Ward!)
Johanna flies through the air like one of her spells, graceful for just a moment, before crashing in a big, destructive mess. Her Arcane Ward swells up as the ground approaches, bouncing her onto her feet, where, normally, she would be splayed on the ground. The drakes turn, stunned by the intruder in their midsts.
It is Arwen's turn.
Map.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:52:42 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 16, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »

<Dwarven>
"What do you speak?"

Help Mirella.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 94