Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119884 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Chapter 1: Greenest in Flames.
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2015, 02:17:56 pm »

"We're meant to eat rats, not rats meant to eat us!"

Still, she wasn't quite equipped to fight a swarm. Arrows and knives hit one opponent at a time, and there wasn't much lost to a horde of hundreds when one of the members died.
Still, she had to try.

She drew an arrow and fired, trying to impale several of the beasts in one shot.

Shoot the swarm near Arwen
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2015, 04:34:52 pm »

Mirella looked at the rats around Johanna and Arwen.  "I know we're the intruders here, but we need to make the tunnel safe if we're to bring survivors back this way."  She brought her quarterstaff around, trying to flip rats back away from Arwen. 

Light torch with tinderbox, wield as improvised weapon
Attack closest rat swarm to Arwen and Mirella
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:54:39 pm by Culise »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2015, 06:45:38 pm »

"We're meant to eat rats, not rats meant to eat us!"

Still, she wasn't quite equipped to fight a swarm. Arrows and knives hit one opponent at a time, and there wasn't much lost to a horde of hundreds when one of the members died.
Still, she had to try.

Still, a torch might do the trick. She drew one from her pack and lit it.

light a torch, bop the nearest rat swarm (near Johanna?)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 04:33:35 pm »

Sweetpea whips out a torch, and swings it into the ranks of rats, (Attack roll: 15+4, Success!) (Damage roll: 1+4-??? damage) tossing a few to the side, and lighting the rest on fire! (Fire damage: 2)
Mirella squeezes next to Arwen, and slams down a torch, club-like, onto the rats, (Attack roll: 17+3, Success!) (Damage roll: 3+3) crushing a few, (Fire damage: 4) while the rest writhe in flames.

The rats swarm around Arwen and Johanna, biting at their ankles. (Attack: ... CRITICAL!) The rats swarm over Johanna and maul her ankles (Damage: 2+1+3+1)! Arwen (Attack roll: ... Failure.) escapes the same fate, thanks to steel boots.

There are two distinct swarms of rats. One is around Johanna's feet, while the other is ten feet towards the exit, around the feet Arwen and Mirella. Sweetpea is five feet away from Johanna and the rats, and Mirella is standing next to Arwen. The once dark tunnel is now bright with the flames of burning rats.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

It is Johanna's Turn. ((And the DM is officially sorry for the crit and the near week intermission.))

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:53:32 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »

"Yaaaaargh, get em off meeeee!" Johanna said, shaking them off and sprinting away, away, away.

Action: Disengage (No AoO's) and move 25 feet down the hall, away from the rats!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »

Arwen just hacks at the rats by his feet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 05:46:44 pm »

The aroma of cooking meat filled the corridor, only slightly ruined by the stench of burning rat hair.  Sweatpea didn't let the bad distract her from the good. They were going to eat well tonigh- oh, yeah. Dragon. Probably more meat cooked than rats.

Flail the torch at the lunch rats that were biting Johanna

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 06:53:14 pm »

Johanna flees back down the tunnel, towards the keep.
Arwen takes a swing through the rats, (Attack roll: 18+7, Success!) hitting (Damage: 1+6-???) only a few individuals.
Sweetpea (Attack roll: 13+4) (Damage: 2+4-???) bashes a few of the rats, and keeps up the fire (Fire Damage: 3+3). ((Hitting something that's already on fire with a torch adds another two turns of !!On Fire!! and deals an extra d6)).

There are two distinct swarms of rats. One is next to Sweetpea, but towards the exit, while the other is five feet down the tunnel, around the feet Arwen and Mirella. Johanna is 20 feet back behind Sweetpea, and Mirella is standing next to Arwen. The once dark tunnel is now bright with the flames of burning rats. The swarm adjacent to Sweetpea has lost over half of it's numbers, while the one around Arwen and Mirella has almost been half-way depleted.

It is Mirella's turn.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
((And the DM is officially sorry for the crit and the near week intermission.))

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:31:54 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 08:52:33 pm »

Mirella watched as Johanna, injured, fell back.  She looked at the rats around them, Arwen successfully cleaving them apart, then at Sweetpea and Johanna.  "Arwen, I'm falling back to help the others for a moment."

Fall back 5' towards Johanna and Sweetpea; attack the horde closest to them

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:34 pm »

If you do that, you will be moving into the area occupied by the swarm. Are you sure you want to do that?
I've decided to scrap the 'no battle map' idea for now. Map coming 'shortly'.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:44 pm »

No.  In that case, I'll attack the closest swarm to clear a path.  If I succeed, I'll move as close to Johanna as I can to set up for healing her next turn.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mirella (Attack roll: 19+3) smacks the rats once more, (2+3-??? Bludgeoning damage and 1+5 Fire damage). This is finally enough to deplete the rat's numbers to the point at which they scatter.
Combat is over. 25 xp for everyone! Woo for fights that take way too long because the DM sucks at updating!
Loot: Charred rats! Woo?

You now move safely down the sewer passage. The rest of your journey is unobstructed, until you reach the end, which is blocked by a grate. The lock has been heavily rusted, so Sweetpea pulls out the key to try and open it. (Dexterity Check: 2+4, Failure.) She can't quie jimmy it open, so Johanna takes a crack at it next. (Dexterity Check: 10+1, Success!) After Sweetpea's loosening, Johanna is able to get the tumblers to lift again, and swings open the grate with a long and drawn out creaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak. You all wince at the sound, but it's mostly covered by the sound of the stream. Well, time to go look for more raider asses to kick. Who wants to go out first?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

"Aye...let's keep going...we can't stop now..."  Johanna said through gritted teeth, limping forward on her bleeding legs with grim determination.

Johanna 3/10 HP
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Should I bring some of these with us? Seems wasteful to leave cooked meat behind."

As the others began to move away, she left the rats.

"Johanna, wait. I'll scout ahead again."

Stealth and scout ahead.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Mirella put a hand out to steady Johanna, as well as prevent her from leaving immediately.  "You certainly can stop for five seconds for me to treat your wounds.  I fear that you will do no one, including yourself, any good in such a condition."

Cast Cure Wounds on Johanna
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 94