Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119924 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Interlude
« Reply #585 on: November 12, 2015, 05:55:33 pm »

Adrik:
After giving the hammer a few test swings, it's clear that it is far too heavy for him. He can't quite find the right place to swing from, so the weapon would be severely gimped in his hands.
(Intelligence with Proficiency: 14+1+2)
The craftsmanship is pretty shoddy on this weapon. It was definitely made by an apprentice smith, probably one of their first solo projects. That said, it'll bash heads in just fine, in the right hands.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 12, 2015, 05:58:10 pm »

((*looks at 15 STR*
Too heavy?  Really?  I find that an interesting assertion.))
Adrik hands the hammer back.
"Tch.  Ha' ye another?  P'raps a better?"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:01:07 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 12, 2015, 06:01:31 pm »

((You don't have weapon proficiency in two handers, I believe...))

"Why don't ya try something a bit smaller? Spellcasting is not easy with a big block of metal in your hands. Myself, I got a nice hefty warhammer for one hand-not too big, not small." She says, swinging her own hammer through the air as demonstration-her spellcasting focus is skillfully embedded in the head of the hammer, like a gemstone. Johanna's hammer seems more work of art than weapon-carved not of metal, but entirely of carved stone, it's a true Dwarven weapon...even if, the design is perhaps a bit dated.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 12, 2015, 06:03:45 pm »

((Warhammer == two-hand hammer, I thought.  If not, then I stand corrected, but I never would have asked for that in the first place if I hadn't proficiency.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 12, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »

Adrik:
"Hmm. Something lighter? Here, try a war hammer."
This one has a much smaller head, but a shaft of similar length. Adrik remembers these from some of the mandatory military training that dwarves go through. It fits much better in his hands, and Adrik feels like he could hold his own with one of these.

((Warhammers are Versatile: one or two handed.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 12, 2015, 06:08:54 pm »

"That's more like it."
Same.  Test swings (both handedly), craftsmanship check...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:35:10 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 12, 2015, 06:51:39 pm »

Arwen grins, curious. "What do you offer? And I'll take the shield."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 12, 2015, 07:30:39 pm »

"If I could, might I take a look at your armour?  I would be interested in plate armor, if you have such."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 12, 2015, 09:03:42 pm »

((Hello?))
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 12, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »

Adrik:
The weapon feels good in his hands as he swings, as he expected.
(Intelligence check: 6+1+2)
Again, this one is not particularly well put-together. It's hard to tell much more.

Arwen:
"Well, I could remove the blade, temper it, replace it with a lighter alloy or fill it with lead. I can carve out some teeth in it, expand the guard, give it some more reach, or, if you're feeling exotic, add another weapon on the other end. 'Course, it'll cost you, 'cause those will take my special touch."
The smith takes Arwen's money as soon as he offers it.

Mirella:
The smith raises his bushy eyebrows with surprise. "I don't keep plate armor on hand- not enough demand. It takes a few weeks to properly make, and a full week to do as a rush job. Next best thing is a set of splint mail, and that'll take a full day in a rush."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:37 pm »

Take a detailed look at it.  Just for good measure.
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 12, 2015, 10:12:35 pm »

Adrik:
Adrik's figured out everything he can about it for now; he'd have to put it through its paces in combat to learn more. That said, there's probably better pieces that the smith isn't putting up for display; they'd probably be higher quality.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 12, 2015, 10:19:10 pm »

"Tempered should be fine. I've been feeling stronger recently, I don't want one wrong swing to shatter the blade."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 12, 2015, 10:33:19 pm »

Adrik rotates the hammer around in his palms.
"Well.  It might do."
Adrik idly taps out some problem spots.
"I'm not so sure, though."
An idea strikes.
"Alternatively, what do you have in the way of battleaxes?"
((By the way, are the prices in the PDF there as normal for this kind of stuff?))
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:48:18 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 13, 2015, 03:39:40 am »

Arwen:
"Aye, good choice. No offense, but it looks like I could break this blade by speaking too loudly. I'll see that it'll hold up under even dragonfire."[/reference]

Adrik:
(Passive Insight: 13, Success)
The smith, realizing that you're not some sucker, easily taken in by his rather outrageous pitches, hurried removes the warhammer from your hands, and retrieves a battleaxe from behind a partition.
"One of my own pieces. She'll cleave through armor and bone alike, she will. If you ever carry a finer blade, you can come back and throw her in my face."
(Intelligence check: 10+1+2)
This is a much better weapon, and is finely crafted. It's definitely on par with the better side of craftsdwarfship that Adrik has seen.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 94