Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119978 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Interlude: Breakfast
« Reply #525 on: November 06, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »

Mirella nodded slowly, mulling it over.  "I interrupted a ritual to Tiamat with a similar manifestation of divine power.  It was intended to create a champion of Tiamat from the mental and emotional suffering of the sacrifice, rather than their physical pain or life force, but that may have been a matter of philosophical difference between the two cults we infiltrated.  Regardless, it also called up a strange smoke that I could only affect with magic."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:23:14 pm by Culise »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 06, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »

((Related PTW.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2015, 03:33:59 pm »

A memory stirs as Arwen listens to Mirella's tale. "Ah. That's right. Cyanwrath referred to the orb as the Void. And something about how shoving me into it would be his penance. I think it might be linked to Tiamat? He mutter a spell and it gave him the claw, then he mentioned how it was his goddess giving him a chance to kill me. So I mocked him."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 09, 2015, 09:01:43 pm »

Johanna, Mirella, Arwen:
The governor listens to your tales raptly, only speaking once you've finished your tales, sighing "Honestly, I had hoped for more information, so that we could warn the rest of the Sword Coast against this threat. But I can't ask for you to do more than I've already asked of you."
Taking a look at the collected loot, he picks up the jewelry and gems. "I recognize these; they belong to some of Greenest's wealthier citizens. With your permission, I'll see them returned, and a reward secured."
Nighthill puts the loot down again, and produces a small chest, and places it on the table, by the jam. "Your reward. Seventy five pieces of platinum, you should find. Eat as much as you will, but when you finish, that monk wanted to talk to you. He said he had a job of some sort for you."

Adrik:
Adrik was traveling through the Greenfields, following a lead on his parents, when he stopped in Greenest for a stout ale, and a warm meal two nights ago. Then, great wings blocked out the setting sun, and a roar filled the air. Shortly after, as he was looking for shelter, Adrik was ambushed by a group of the raiders. He was able to beat back most of them, but one slashed up his leg badly. He limped into the town's keep, and received medical attention. The leg is better now, and he's on his feet again.
He's heard stories about a party of adventurers that helped in the defense of the town. Some of the stories are pretty wild: apparently, they have a warrior who tamed a dragon, their wizard is an angel in disguise, and there's a priest who speaks regularly with a god's avatar! At the same time, he's caught glimpses of them during the siege of the keep. They seemed to be rather new to the profession. Now filled with curiosity, Adrik figures that he will need allies in his search for his parents, and a detour into fighting off these raiders would be a worthy reason to put aside the search. After asking around, he hears that they will probably be meeting with one of the prisoners they freed from a dragon-cult camp, a half-elf monk by the name of Leosin Erlanthar. Adrik finds Leosin in the courtyard of the keep, leaning on a young human's shoulder. Leosin looks ragged and tired, exhausted from his ordeal.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 09, 2015, 09:28:01 pm »

((*shrug*  Not how I would have done it but then again I really didn't give you much to go on.

What color were the wings?))
"'ello, strangers.
...Ach, they really messed you up, did they.

I s'pose I should introduce myself.

M'name's Adrik Ungart.  You are apparently the second most talk of the town after those adventurers, 'm I right?  Leosin Erlanthar and, most likely, apprentice?  ' was told I'd find ye here."

...This half-elf does not sound at all half-elvish, speaking in guttural dwarven tones at elven pitches in Common.
He does, however, speak Leosin's name as an elf would say it.
Nor does he quite look normal, even for his own kin, as there is a sheen of silver and a hint of scales to his pallid skin, and a tinge of blue to shockingly white hair to match.
He wears a single-handed axe and a pouch on his right, and two daggers on his left, over sturdy travelling clothes.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:38:04 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 09, 2015, 11:37:39 pm »

Arwen nods to the mayor. "By all means. I expect some of it might be sentimental, and they'll be glad for its return." He slid some of the jewelry forward, looking at the wafers. "These are messengers? How wondrous... I'll never full get my head around magic, will I..." He chuckles lightly, picking up the orb. "Can you both see in the dark? If you can, I'd like to hang onto this one. It'd certainly save on torches." At the mention of Leosin, he grins, nodding. "I'll have another bite, and wait for you to return before I head to see our esteemed friend. I hope he's feeling better..."

Arwen takes a third of the platinum pieces, unless argued with, adding 25 PP to his total.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2015, 09:45:56 am »

Arwen nods to the mayor. "By all means. I expect some of it might be sentimental, and they'll be glad for its return." He slid some of the jewelry forward, looking at the wafers. "These are messengers? How wondrous... I'll never full get my head around magic, will I..." He chuckles lightly, picking up the orb. "Can you both see in the dark? If you can, I'd like to hang onto this one. It'd certainly save on torches."

"I'm a Dwarf ye fool, of course I can see in the dark." Johanna grumped.

She snatched the orb from Arwen, making a melodic chant which caused it to rise-then a clicking noise to make it light up. Easy.

"I'd get an empty lantern for that, boyo. Just carry it around like you would an open flame, right? Only it's not like to go out. Or you could rig up a net and a cord, and drag it in a line above you, leave both your hands free..."

Johanna also took her share, wondering why the fourth member of their party had vanished before collecting his money.

Ah, what a shame!

Action: Nom my 25 PP. Finish deciphering the scrolls, breakfast, then go to meet Leo...

Questions about magic items
~Will the light orb last at least as long as a year?
~Would it be possible to 'reprogram' the spare wafers to make more paired sets?
~What spells were involved in their creations?

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »

Mirella smiled faintly.  She certainly couldn't see in the dark, being a human, but she didn't see much reason to belabor the point, especially since she could call up a light spell in a pinch.  "Feel free, Arwen."

Take last 25 pp, finish breakfast, then head to see the monk with the others.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2015, 03:18:11 pm »

Arwen nods, heeding the dwarf's advice. "I was just double checking before I claimed it as my own. Maybe I can get a cage for it... I'd need to test how much it can lift first. I'll have to stop by the Blacksmith later."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »

((By the way, can everyone read Adrik's speech?  I'm using Darkling, so I'm not exactly optimizing for light background readability here.))
Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2015, 04:49:05 pm »

((By the way, can everyone read Adrik's speech?  I'm using Darkling, so I'm not exactly optimizing for light background readability here.))

((I use Darkling too, so no problem there.

Darkling Brothers ftw!))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »

((I use Darkling too, so no problem there.

Darkling Brothers ftw!))
((Yes, Darkling theme best theme.
Right, ceasing cluttering the IC with OOC.))
((So everybody's here, judging by the PM icons...And everybody's said stuff...So are we going to move forward?))
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:41:47 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »

Adrik:
The dragon that attacked Greenest was Blue. During the night of the raid, it attacked the keep, spraying lightning every which way. Even in the shelter of the stone tower, Adrik could make out part of a conversation it was carrying with someone, possibly a defender. During that conversation, it identified itself as Lennithon the Blue. The name doesn't instantly ring any bells, but Adrik could remember something if he thought about it for a while.
The monk speaks with a slight wince in every breath, "Well met, Adrik. You're well informed. As you know, I am Leosin, and this is my apprentice, Nesim. What can I do for you, friend?"

Arwen:
Nighthill leaves, and shortly comes back with another pouch, this one filled with another 90 platinum.

Johanna:
(Con Check: 14+3)
The platinum just isn't very edible, but Johanna forces it down anyway.

(Arcana Check for the Globe: 11+6) The globe should last a long time. How long is impossible to say, without experimentation. It should function for at least a decade, though. However, it only stays lit for an hour at a time. In addition, Johanna notices that when she moves, the globe moves too, following her.
(Arcana Check for the wafers: 13+6) Johanna could reprogram them, but she realizes that they're already paired with other wafers. So, the question is, where are their twins?
The globe was created with Daylight, Mage Hand, and Light. The wafers were created with Sending.
With the scrolls divided into two piles, magical and not, Johanna begins looking over them. The half-dozen magical ones include a Light, a Thunderwave and four unintelligible scrolls. Perhaps another caster could make them out.
(Int check: 10+3) The non-magical ones are a mix of ciphered documents and maps. Johanna can't make out what the cipher is. The maps are mostly rough maps of small towns in the Greenfields, heavily marked up in the ciphered text.

All:
Johanna, Mirella and Arwen all eventually meet up with Leosin in the courtyard. The monk looks only slightly better than he did last night. He's been bandaged up, but he's still leaning on his apprentice's shoulder. At the moment, he's speaking to another half-elf, this one with snow-white hair. Once he sees the party, he waves them over.
"Morning, friends. Adventurers, this is Adrik," Leosin says, gesturing with his free arm at the half-elf, " Adrik, adventurers."

((I'd use Darkling, but I just don't like the giant banner at the top.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »

((Giant banner??  What giant banner?  Oh that banner.))
"I try.  't wasn' that hard anyway, ye're the second fav'rite subject around."
==Adventurers!==
Adrik half-bows, and speaks in a very different tone and accent.
"Well met."
Adrik is, to recap, strange for even a half-elf, with almost silvery skin, and ice-blue, not snow-white hair.  His eyes, should anyone notice, are the same as the rest of him.

His tone lapses.

"So, ye're th' adventurers.
I've heard much of ye."
Sigtext

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2015, 06:16:04 pm »

Arwen nods, looking to the orb. "So it's tethered to whoever made the noise... Interesting!" He grins and hangs onto it, memorizing the commands before the mayor returns. He splits the platinum equally with his comrades, 30 PP a person. He gives Rex a chicken leg under the table, then heads out to meet the monk.

Arwen waves to Leosin, grinning. "Good morning my friend! I heard you have business for us?" He notices Rex hissing at the newcomer, and pets him reasuringly. "<Easy Rex. He's not an enemy. Yet.>"
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 94