Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 120016 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Chapter 2: Raiders' Camp
« Reply #450 on: October 04, 2015, 01:52:32 pm »

Arwen:
Arwen downs a health philter, regaining 8 HP!
The monk and the drake charge the remaining kobolds, but Arwen's mind is already elsewhere. Even the cultists who charged at his side are forgotten. It's just him and Cyanwrath.

In the flickering torchlight, Arwen can make out emotions flitting across Cyanwrath's face. First confusion, then surprise, then delight. "You survived! I don't whether to be disappointed or pleased. I suppose a mix of both. "
All of this made his reaction slower, and couldn't get up his defence in time.
Action Surge!
(Melee Attack with Advantage: 8, 11+6, Success! 6+6 damage!)
(Melee Attack with Advantage: 15, 20+6, Critical Success! 4+8+6 damage!)
((OHOHOH, time to break out the the Critnomicon!))
Arwen throws a first strike into Cyanwrath's right calf, and follows up with a lightning fast vertical slash, meant to put the dragonman's blade to the side, clearing an opening for another attack.
And boy, does it work.
The cultist's greatsword hangs loose in his right hand as he brings his left hand up to his face, or at least what's left of it. Arwen's slash cleaved off the fingers from the dragonchild's hand. Purple-black smoke trails off the stump, and quickly forms into a heavy stream of billowing smoke that trails into the orb hovering in the corner. With a hissed incantation, the smoke reverses direction, forming thick and murky claws where his fingers used to be.
Cyanwrath looks at Arwen with a look of uncontained rage, and spits "Look, filth-blooded! Gaze upon the might of my Queen! She bestows another hand on me! To repay Her, I will give you to Void!"
And with that the half-dragon tackles Arwen. Or, at least tries to.
(Opposed Athletics Check: Cyanwrath's 11+6 vs. Arwen's 11+6. Tie!)
Fended back, Cyanwrath lunges forward once more, trying to find an in.
(Opposed Athletics Check: Cyanwrath's 3+6 vs. Arwen's 19+6. Critical Success for Arwen! Arwen gets an attempt to turn the grapple around!)
(Opposed Athletics Check: Arwen's 5+6 vs. Cyanwrath's 13+6. Failure!)
Cyanwrath can't find a good grip, and in his attempt, puts himself in a position where he can be counter-grappled, but he throws off the human's grasping hands.

Spoiler: Arwen's Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cyanwrath's Status (click to show/hide)

Mirella:
There are three people left in the tent, the prisoner, the cultist performing the ritual, and another cultist kneeling on the dias. An inky black smoke flows from the mouth of the prisoner, slowly enveloping the kneeling cultist in a cloud.

Johanna:
"Yes, ma'am!" Most of the stragglers run out of the camp on their mission, but a few hang back.
"But... ma'am! What 'bout Frulam Mondath? She must be the most heretical of all the blacks!"

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 04, 2015, 02:02:09 pm »

Arwen roars with delight, looking at the smoky hand. That's new... "So you're such a coward that you need help from a GODDESS to beat me?! Ha! The only reason I lost before was because I was already weak from fighting all your followers!" Arwen attempts to break the grapple so he can stab Cyanwrath more! Or dominate it and stab Cyanwrath more. Any action that results in hurting more Cyanwrath.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 04, 2015, 02:09:40 pm »

Who? She thought.

But, she said...

"Excellent point, my friend. Who knows how large a hand that heretic had in this? When you mentions this, warn them of Mondath's betrayal of our order.

But, bring your words only to those we trust-agents of the traitors will kill you if they catch your words before you can speak them. Do not be afraid to strike, before they can do the same to you...now, go with the blessing of the Queen Mother!"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 04, 2015, 07:14:39 pm »

Arwen:
(Melee Attack: 6+6, Failure!)
Arwen throws another slash, but it bounces off of the half-dragon's armor.
(Opposed Athletics Check: Cyanwrath's 18+6 vs. Arwen's 18+6. Tie!)
Cyanwrath lunges again, trying to grab Arwen, but can't get a hold of him.
(Opposed Athletics Check: Cyanwrath's 9+6 vs. Arwen's 5+6. Failure!)
The dragonman finally grabs Arwen, and pulls the warrior over to the hovering orb, and prepares to shove him in.
"GAZE INTO THE VOID! YOUR BLOOD WILL BE MY PENANCE!"

Johanna:
"Yes ma'am! Hail Tiamat!"
The kobolds dash off with a physically evident sense of self-importance.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 05, 2015, 12:00:06 am »

Arwen roars, and grabs Cyanwrath's arm! He then tries to get dominance of the grapple, in order to THROW his foe into the orb itself.

"YOU FIRST!"

And spend Motivation to make sure this shit works.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 05, 2015, 09:09:27 am »

With everyone busy, it was time to save the prisoners...Johanna made sure no one else was looking at her for orders, then dashed away.

Action: Time to liberate the prisoners!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 05, 2015, 10:25:26 am »

OOC: How many cultists are still outside the tent, or have they all gone to fight apart from these two? 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 06, 2015, 03:18:02 pm »

Arwen:
(Opposed Athletics Check to break free: Arwen's 20+6 vs. Cyanwrath's 19+6. Critical success!)
((I wish I could fudge rolls as dramatic as this.))
(Opposed Athletics Check to grapple Cyanwrath: Arwen's 14+6 vs. Cyanwrath's 1+6. Success!)
(Opposed Athletics Check to throw Cyanwrath into the Void: Arwen's 15+6 vs. Cyanwrath's 13+6. Success!)
Arwen, with a sudden burst of strength, tosses Cyanwrath over his shoulder. The dragonborn hits the orb head on, and, on contact, purple-black tendrils swarm over his body, draining the life essence from him.
Cyanwrath slumps to the floor, desiccated.
(Melee surprise attack: Success! 12 damage!)
As Arwen stands triumphant, he takes an axe to the back. Knocked on his back, he sees Cyanwrath's bodyguard standing above him, and the cultists that were sent to kill him lying on the floor.

Johanna:
The dwarf sneaks off to the camp where the prisoners are being held. Their guards dashed off when they heard the rallying cry of the blues, leaving the prisoners alone, but chained together, and under the watchful eye of a few kobolds who stayed at their posts in the watchtower at the camp entrance. The eight prisoners cower as Johanna approaches. A human man crawls forward, begging, "Please, ma'am! Praise Tiamat! I want to join! It's not too late! Let me join! Please!"

Mirella:
The fight is happening about 15 yards away from the tent, but all of the Black Wing Cultists are engaged in defending themselves. Mirella could rescue the prisoner without interference.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 06, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »

Arwen growls, moving to attack the bodyguard! He'd defeated Cyanwrath, so he was feeling great! He didn't even think that would work. Worst case, he still had a burst of energy left... Right now, he needed to slay this guy.

"<Last mistake you'll ever make!">

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 06, 2015, 03:29:25 pm »

Johanna knew the Kobolds were watching, so she made a show of threatening hand gestures to belay suspicion, while speaking to the prisoners in a gentle voice.

"...Well, bad news, then-I don't give a flip about Tiamat. I'm here to rescue all of you and get you back home-I figure some of you are from Greenest. I'm a Hero, right-Mayor Nighthill sent me to find out what was going on...and do what we could to put the hurt on them. Ye ken notice we've got the cultists quarreling amongst one another quite nicely, eh? It's a good time to escape if ye wanna escape...now, I'm wearing this robe to fool the lot of them-it's no trick. So, I need you call to calm down and work with me...if we're all gonna get out of here."

Action: Try to calm the prisoners and inform them I am on their side.

Questions, how many Kobolds are watching, and how hard will it to be to free the prisoners from their chains?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2015, 12:49:13 pm »

Mirella rushed into the tent, "accidentally" stumbling over the kneeling cultist without contacting the cloud any more than necessary.  She adopted a suitably wide-eyed, stunned look of someone barely keeping back a panic.  "We don't have time for the ritual anymore!  There are too many of them!  You two, make haste and warn Frulam Mondath!  I'll get the prisoner somewhere secure and rejoin the fight."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 12, 2015, 01:28:38 pm »

Arwen:
(Melee Attack: 19+6, Critical Success! 3+2+6 damage!)
Arwen slashes back at the half-dragon, cutting somewhat deeply, and drawing blood.
(Melee Attack with Advantage: Success! 11 damage!)
Furious, the dragonspawn strikes back, cutting into Arwen's upper arm.

Johanna:
(Persuasion check: 15+2)
The prisoners quickly calm down at her soothing words, some breaking into tears of relief. The rest look to Johanna for leadership and guidance.
(Perception check: 13+3)
Johanna's best guess is that there are three kobolds in the tower, but it's hard to tell if they're paying any attention to her.
It should be easy to dissolve the chains with a minute or so of Acid Splash.

Mirella:
(Deception check: 13+1)
It's a bit hard to stumble over the kneeling cultist, since they're kneeling on the stage, but Mirella pulls it off, as if she was rushing up the stair, and tripped on the last step, sending the cleric sprawling over the cultist. (Constitution save: 10+3, Success!) She also manages to avoid breathing in the cloud of smoke, even dissipating a little from the cloud surrounding the cultist.
(Persuasion check: 2+3)
The proceeding cultist wards away Mirella's claims with a dismissive wave, "Tiamat will give us the time we need to finish the transformation. As it is written, 'an unfinished Temple will crumble'. Go, be a vessel of Her strength, and hold them back!"

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:10 pm »

Arwen curses. He needed some help. "<Rex! Get him!>" Maybe the Drake would make it soon enough.... Either way, Arwen hits his SECOND WIND and keeps attacking! He had to win this battle somehow!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 12, 2015, 05:25:59 pm »

Arwen:
(Second Wind: 1+3 HP recovered!)
(Melee Attack: 11+6, Success! 4+6 damage!)
Arwen, feeling completely spent, takes a large breath of stale cave air, and drives his sword through the stomach of his foe. They slump on the blade, and slide off, after Arwen gives them a shove.
This is when he remembers that he sent Rex and the monkling to handle the kobolds. Since no kobolds have attacked him too, he figures that they succeeded.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 12, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »

Arwen thanks the various Gods who have been watching over him, and proceeds to loot the corpses of Cyanwrath and his bodyguard. Maybe they'll have something handy on them. Like healing potions.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 94