Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 120018 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Intermission.
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2015, 10:01:02 am »

Johanna settled down for some light reading-her bruises were still a bit sore, but she otherwise felt...great. She had pressed herself further the previous day than she ever had in her decades of dry study and research. Like a muscle, she had strained her magics and as they reknitted, they were stronger for the efforts.

She sat down with a warm cup of tea, checking the shelves for some useful information, mulling it all over.

Action: Time for Dragon research!

Also, I believe I'll have enough time to research that scroll as well before our meeting with the mayor? If not, put it off for later.

Also, can I identify anything of those stones with some sort of skill check?

--
Later, Johanna carefully counted and meted out 40 gold coins to every member of the party, as she visited them each in their various states-she told them all to meet the Mayor for lunch, that he had an offer for them.

"...He didn't let on much, but I think it's worth our time to hear him out. There may also be more to find among the enemy slain, if you wish to look."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:06:19 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:30 pm »

Arwen stirs slowly, sore and feeling a bit defeated after having his ass handed to him so soundly. He gets out of the cot he was laid on, refusing help getting up as he wanders the streets of the city, a bit dejected. He had let them down. The boy looking for his master. Those who had fallen. The town. His new allies.... There was only one course of action to take now. He'd have to get stronger, so this would NEVER happen again....

Arwen wanders the city, lost in his own thoughts.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2015, 09:57:57 am »

Mirella:
Most of the people still being treated here were injured intensively, so "mundane" isn't fully accurate: this man had to have his leg amputated. Mirella cleasn the stump, to prevent infection, as he moans awake. Looking at the cleric through bleary eyes, he slurs "How bad isit? Am I gonna walk again?"
Apparently, he doesn't realize he had it cut off.

Johanna:
Most of the dragon-centric books are ancient, and falling apart. She is afraid to handle them, lest they disintegrate. However, one of the ones in better condition catches her eye: "On the Raising of True Dragons from the Egg", by a Bryon Fensworth. This book seems to have been printed in Waterdeep, by Tym Waterdeep Limited, in 1419, 70 years ago. After the publishing house information and title page, is a page with a single word printed in large, bold lettering:
"Don't."
The next page is a little less sparse on text:
"If you are ever so lucky, or unlucky, to find yourself in the possession of the egg of a True Dragon egg, do not attempt to care for it. Instead, you should immediately find an adult True Dragon, and entrust the egg with it instead. For the unfortunate occasion that such a transfer is impossible, this book has been written a precautionary measure."
The book itself is split into various sections covering the developmental stages of a dragon. Its information comes from interviews with  Metallic Dragons, and it makes an important note of the issue that what works for Metallic Dragons may not work for Chromatic Dragons. In addition, there are no credible accounts of a non-Dragon properly raising a Dragon, Metallic or Chromatic, or even hatching one.
A few factoids stick in Johanna's memory after a brief reading, but if she needed to, she could remember more.
Eggs should be kept in or next to fire, but any warm condition will suffice. Anecdotally, the strength of the heat affects the hatchling's personality. Recently hatched Dragons eat regurgitated food provided by their parents, like birds. But most interestingly, if unreliably so, any single Chromatic Dragon egg swarms with a dozen or so little worms, who all vie for dominance. They devour each other until the strongest is left, which hatches as a Dragon. The same thing repeats itself in the clutch; the strongest Chromatic Dragon kills, eats, survives, and grows.

(Arcana check: 15+5)
With a quarter hour of study, the scroll reveals itself to contain the Light cantrip.

(Int check, with proficiency from Stone Cunning: 1+5)
Johanna has no idea what the stones are.

Arwen:
The town is quiet. People are roaming the streets, looking to reconnect with lost loved ones. Fires have been put out, and broken doors are being propped up for the sake of privacy. Ransacked houses are starting to be repaired. The few people on the street either pass the sulking fighter quickly, trying to avoid him, or go up to him to thank and congratulate him. However, one person is hanging back, and following Arwen at a distance.
Once he notices that he's been noticed, the clearly freaking out monk's apprentice approaches the sullen warrior.
"I've looked everywhere. I think my master has been kidnapped."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2015, 11:30:18 am »

Mirella went about the task as her patient awoke.  She paused, not quite able to meet his eyes.  "I'm sorry, but the leg had to be removed."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2015, 11:39:49 am »

Arwen looks to the apprentice, thoughts racing through his head. The most prevalent were [Rescue the Master] and [Hey, we can punch Cyanwrath if we do this.] He weighs the options, and nods. "You saw how much stronger he was than me. Are you sure you want to ask for my help? I'm sure there are stronger warriors, with actual experience." Arwen was asking this to test the apprentice. He was ready to agree to do it, but he wanted to see what the apprentice thought of him and his group.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2015, 12:12:59 am »

Mirella:
With a chuckle, he slurs at Mirella "Oh, that's a good ones. Pull the other one; i's got bells on. I ken still feel it."
Insatiable curiousity getting the best of him, he glances down. Seeing the stump where his leg used to be, he goes pale, and looks back up at you.
"Well, looks like you were right, doc," is all he manages to get out before the realization hits him in full and he faints.

Arwen:
The young man is unfazed by the question.
"You almost had it. You should give yourself more credit. You're willing to risk your life for people you don't know. That takes a strength most people don't have."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 12, 2015, 12:59:04 am »

Nighthill meets you all in his study. He gestures for you to sit, and stares out the window for a moment, before speaking. In the silence, you settle into the arm chairs, and notice a few objects arrayed on a small end table and propped against the wall.
"Firstly, Greenest gives you its thanks, Arwen Dunwood. These are from my personal supply. May they keep your life long and hearty."
The Governor hands Arwen a small oaken box. Inside, in a nest of dark cloth, rest two vials of bright red liquid. On the glass are etched prayers to Lathander.
"Secondly, from our armories," the Governor says as he gestures towards a maul, a spear and a longbow. "We hope that you can find an use for them."
"Finally, I have an offer for the four of you. The raiders attacked from nowhere, with no warning, and disappeared just as fast. I'm willing to pay three hundred gold to each of you, if you can give Greenest more information. I want to know where the raiders are based out of, their numbers, their leaders, their motives and their next target. In addition, if you can recover any of the stolen goods, I would pay a bounty equal to half their worth."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2015, 12:24:59 pm »

Former Action: Assuming it isn't too late, Johanna made sure to cast detect magic in the library, checking all the books and those stones she got

Johanna was leaning in her chair, one hand on her hammer, the stone head laying on the floor. She nodded brusquely, ignoring the weapons. They were better for the hands of others. She seemed subtly different than she might have to her friends, that day. More quiet, more somber. Less likely to laugh, or smile-her features were usual carefully neutral. The well meaning, if sheltered Dwarf noblewoman they had met before had changed...

"I'm certainly willing to try. That's what we came here for...and, we need to know the truth of this cult, if it is a disconnected attack, or part of a larger plan. We must prevent another tragedy from befalling this town, or any others.

What do the rest of you think?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2015, 12:31:20 pm »

In the hospice
Mirella briefly confirms that her patient suffered no ill effects from the sudden shock, then closes her eyes in brief prayer for his recovery.  She continues to help wherever she can until a servant arrives to bring her to the study.

In the study
Mirella glances at the others, her expression somber as well from the work she just returned from.  "I will aid you as well.  I agree that we cannot allow this cult to visit their depredations on any other people."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »

Arwen thinks for a moment, and nods, slinging the longbow on his back and looking at the bottles. "What are these bottles? And of course I'll go after them. Cyanwrath and I have a score to settle..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2015, 03:40:16 pm »

"He's likely to have an army around him, though. Don't let your grudge lead you into another fight you can't win." Johanna warns Arwen. "Cyanwrath might not be so brave when he's faced with a fair battle, you know."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2015, 02:15:48 am »

Johanna:
Back in the library, you cast Detect Magic, but detect no magic.

All:
Nighthill breathes a small sigh of relief at your confirmation.
"Thank you, so very much. Firstly, those are philters of healing, potions to close your wounds. Secondly, were there not four of you?"
In that moment, you realize that Sweetpea is absent from the meeting.
"I could have sworn that she was here a moment ago... Either way, set out when you're prepared."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2015, 04:12:44 pm »

Sweatpea sighed as she walked, having slipped out the castle. It wouldn't work; they'd all die again, and she couldn't take that. She'd helped people, sure, but her companions  had nearly all been killed. Sweatpea herself hadn't had a scratch, but she still had enough self-preservation to avoid fighting in the front lines.

She didn't want to have to run away, leaving her friend's corpses behind again. Better to go now. She hadn't said goodbye, because they'd be disappointed and angry and think her a coward - or even worse, understanding.

The longbow was heavy on her shoulder as she walked.

She'd help people her own way... and on her own, she thought. Not much she could do against a dragon. Dragons were dragons, and she was forced to admit, she wasn't a hero. Slaying them would be someone else's business. But there was more she could do on a smaller scale.

Sweatpea disappeared into the distance. Perhaps she'd be back one day, to pull them out the fire, a proper hero swooping in at the last minute.
But not today.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »

"...I suspected she had planned to leave, soon enough. She didn't say why, exactly...but, you could see it in her eyes. I only hope she finds what she's looking for...I am sad to have lost a friend.

...Either way, we must press forward as best as we can."
Johanna said with a heavy sigh.

It was hard to have a friend leave so suddenly, in truth. She had come to care for the young Elf like a younger sister in the short time they had journeyed together, even if she many hundreds of years older. Sweetpea had shown great courage, and proven herself to be a true hero to Johanna-even someone like her, coming from a place where few heroes were born...Johanna wondered if she could have done more, to make her feel a member of their small family-if confessing how she really felt might have changed things for the better. Ah, regrets were endless, though...she had no doubt they would meet again, one day.

They had their own paths to walk and adventures to undertake, and Sweetpea had hers. It was time to move on.

Action: Well, I'm prepared to go. Be sad Dwarf my friend left.

Action: Actually, we need to prepare for infiltration. Johanna goes about and collects some cultist robes and equipment that our team can use to fool the cult if needed.

Also, main action, she goes and visits a blacksmith...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:35:08 am by Dwarmin »

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 21, 2015, 08:41:14 am »

Arwen nods, and goes to get the monkling. "I hope you are ready. I also hope you know how to use this."

Arwen forces the Maul upon the Monk until he finds someone better suited for it. He pockets the potions, and takes the bow. He leaves the spear for whoever wants it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 94